UKC

Sterling hollow block UK supplier?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I've seen some reviews of sterling's "hollow block" hollow sewn prusik loops.

http://www.thealpinestart.com/2016/05/18/field-tested-sterling-hollowblock/

They look like really handy bits of kit, but I can't find anyone in the UK who stocks them. Does anyone know where I could get a couple without paying postage from the states?

jezb1 18 Jun 2018
In reply to pancakeandchips:

I’ve used one, they’re neat, would get one if I could find one in the UK!

Beta Climbing Designs are the distributor for Sterling. Ask for Iain, he should be able to help.

In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

I got in touch with Beta Climbing Designs and they don't stock them unfortunately.

Not cheap but there are sellers on ebay

Jim 1003 18 Jun 2018

What's wrong with normal prussics? And is this an advert as you have never posted about anything else? 

In reply to Jim 1003:

> What's wrong with normal prussics? And is this an advert as you have never posted about anything else? 

Well... I'm not going to quote the article I linked cos you'll just accuse me of shilling again.

I've been replacing all my prussiks/cordellette/tat recently so I was looking at alternatives to nylon to see about reducing weight, bulk, and to find out if there's anything new out there I'm missing. Looks like there are some interesting things, not only these but also tech cords with much higher breaking strains (so you could use 5.5mm cord in place of 7mm in some situations) and dynamic accessory cord. There isn't a silver bullet though, with technical drawbacks to each material. It seems to be a bit difficult sourcing some of these things in the UK as well. Wrt ebay prices, I just can't justify spending £18 on something I can mostly replicate with £1 worth of 5mm nylon. If it was 1/4 of the price, maybe.

I've come to the conclusion I might as well stick with cheap nylon cord.

Beal do a similar thing https://www.urbanrock.com/beal-jammy-60cm/

StuDoig 20 Jun 2018

I've a set of the hollow blocks They do grip far better on small diameter ropes than standard cord prussics.  I find them too grippy on large diameter ropes and a mare to unload.  Mine were a freebe, great as they are I wouldn't buy them at the the price you see them on e-bay for.  

Cheers,

Stu

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...