UKC

NEW REVIEW: Swedish Meatballs DVD by Ashley Lewis

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 29 Oct 2007
Ashley Lewis casts a critical eye on Swedish Meatballs and ponders the future of bouldering videos.

"I remember the excitement I felt when I first got to watch a copy of One Summer, Ben Moon’s video homage to bouldering in the Peak. The camera work was poor as was the sound quality and the music was excruciating. However, it felt underground, captured a scene we wanted to be part of and above all faced no competition. Nowadays.............."

Read more at: http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=591
 TobyA 29 Oct 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Similar thoughts from the Finns: http://www.slouppi.net/articles.phtml?articlePage=9 although they like the idea of having a Welshmen in charge, because for complex reasons to do with Finnish laws on homosexuality in they 1950s - Finnish blokes are uncomfortable watching muscular Swedish men with their shirts off.
 robin mueller 29 Oct 2007
In reply to Ashley Lewis - UKClimbing.com:

Personally I thought this film was far better than Set in Stone, though it's an odd comparison to make. If you prefer watching people climb routes to boulder problems, then I can understand why you wouldn't like this. Dare I suggest, if this is the case you really shouldn't be reviewing it...

My opinion: Slick editing, well filmed and in HD to boot. Lots of excellent looking problems. Lots of 8as, a few 8a+'s and more 7c's than you can shake a stick at. Even the custom made shaking sticks. And the easy stuff looks pretty inspiring too. I want to go to Sweden!

Ashley Lewis 30 Oct 2007
In reply to robin mueller:

> Personally I thought this film was far better than Set in Stone, though it's an odd comparison to make.

To be fair the comparison to Set in Stone was with regard to a specific aspect of the film, I also mentioned a couple of other climbing films as well.

> If you prefer watching people climb routes to boulder problems, then I can understand why you wouldn't like this. Dare I suggest, if this is the case you really shouldn't be reviewing it...

I was worried that this might be the case and so showed it to a bouldering oriented focus group of (what I assume to be) he correct demographic and they agreed with me.
 richard kirby 07 Nov 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

mm, nicely written.....however, I think a bouldering DVD should really be reviewed by a keen boulderer of which there are many!! Mr Lewis is hardly that..........and don't get all sensitive Ash.

Tyler 07 Nov 2007
In reply to richard kirby:

Well I went out bouldering both Saturday and Sunday this week in preference to routes so I think my credentials stack up. Besides I own a number of boudering DVDs which I have enjoyed so my feelings about the film have nothing to do with how much of a boulderer I may or may not be. Besides my review, and the film itself I'm sure, are aimed at a broader group than just the 'bouldering only' demograph.
OP Michael Ryan 07 Nov 2007

Most climbers boulder Richard (including Ash).
 Hugh Cottam 07 Nov 2007

Yeah! Get a grip Richard.

Agreed...... however, they vary in their enthusiasm and passion.
 RupertD 07 Nov 2007
In reply to:

I tried to watch this DVD but got distracted by the ironing.
In reply to RupertD:

Succinct as ever.

Now thats what I call a review.
SI A 06 Dec 2007

whats the name of that bit of music.

i like it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...