UKC

Tent recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alex Riley 12 Jul 2018

My 2 man tent is getting a bit old and things are starting to fall apart and snap. 

Looking for recommendations for a new two man one.

The main things I'm after are;

Waterproof

Fairly hardy

Reasonably light (one person can comfortably carry on expedition)

TMM 12 Jul 2018
In reply to Alex Riley:

To help us make the most pertinent recommendations I might help to know what you are currently using as reference point.

Do you want the replacement to be bigger, smaller, lighter, more capable of snow loading, more wind resistant, extra doors etc... 

Your budget would also help. Are looking to buy new or second hand?

OP Alex Riley 12 Jul 2018
In reply to TMM:

My current tent is a storm shield 2 man, semi geodisic. Pretty good support. Ideally 1.5-3kg. decent porch would be a bonus.

tehmarks 12 Jul 2018
In reply to Alex Riley:

I have a Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2, and it's been brilliant in the year I've had it. 1.2kg and seems pretty bombproof in typical UK weather (though it wouldn't be my first choice if I were doing a lot of winter stuff). The drawbacks are it's made of some very lightweight fabrics, and it's easy to put a hole in through stupidity if you're not careful. I put a hole through both the footprint and inner from what I imagine was pitching on a sharp rock, and my stove made a nice L-shaped ventilation flap in the door of the flysheet where it'd pressed against it in the wind. Easily patched, and lesson learnt!

Big Agnes customer service have also been fantastic, replacing an inner without argument where the mesh on the door had started to fray and separate from the zipper.

Tringa 12 Jul 2018
In reply to Alex Riley:

Have a look at the Vango Banshee Pro 300 Tent. I don't know this tent but my daughter has a Banshee 200 and reckons it is pretty good.

Dave

d_b 12 Jul 2018
In reply to Alex Riley:

The ultralight version of the vaude taurus seems pretty good so far, although the 2 person version I bought is a bit cosy.  The 3p may be better if you actually plan to have 2 people in it.

In reply to Tringa:

> Have a look at the Vango Banshee Pro 300 Tent. I don't know this tent but my daughter has a Banshee 200 and reckons it is pretty good.

I've got a Banshee 200.  It's cheap, fairly light and works fine.   It's nominally 2 man but you'd need to be midgets on your honeymoon.

Murderous_Crow 12 Jul 2018
In reply to Alex Riley:

Another vote for the Seedhouse SL2. It's a great little tent.

rubertm 13 Jul 2018
In reply to Alex Riley:

For a lightweight tent, the Lofoten 2 ULW is worth considering.

nutme 13 Jul 2018
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

> I've got a Banshee 200.  It's cheap, fairly light and works fine.   It's nominally 2 man but you'd need to be midgets on your honeymoon.

It's relative to your size. I am 170cm climber and spend weeks in this tents sharing with people of similar height. But if you are 100kg crossfit athlete then maybe you want it just for yourself.

It lasted me about 5 years before staring to fall apart. That's about 30 days a year of bad treatment.

Now got Alpkit Ordos 2 as a compromise between price and weight. It does feels of the same size to Banshee200. I can comfortably spend a week camping in it with a partner and climbing gear.

Post edited at 08:19

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...