UKC

Which DWR for Buffalo shirt?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Basemetal 05 Jan 2020

Which DWR works best with Buffalo shirts? I'm thinking a wash-in would affect the pile side too much but ready to be corrected. Anyone had good results with a product? (( Written after a particularly rainy day on Braeriach...)

Post edited at 11:00
 bouldery bits 05 Jan 2020
In reply to Basemetal:

> Which DWR works best with Buffalo shirts? I'm thinking a wash-in would affect the pile side too much but ready to be corrected. Anyone had good results with a product? (( Written after a particularly rainy day on Braeriach...)

This is a really good question. I've used the Granger's spray on in the past but if there's a better option I'd be interested.

Fruitbat 05 Jan 2020
In reply to Basemetal:

I use a spray as you only need to treat the Pertex. Granger's has worked well, not sure if the Nikwax equivalent is any better or worse. I wash the shirt in the machine with with liquid soap, then spray the outer whilst still wet and then tumble-dry.

Andrew Lodge 05 Jan 2020
In reply to Basemetal:

I wash mine with Nikwax Tech Wash. That's all it needs, certainly doesn't need any waterproofing product and don't use an ordinary detergent.

They also don't need washing too often, just hang them up to air after use.

In reply to Basemetal:

The idea of the pile is to draw water away from the body. If you proof it, you will effectively turn it into a large-scale version of the Paramo 'pump liner', only facing towards your body, rather than away from your body.

So I would recommend using a spray-on proofer for the outer only.

OP Basemetal 05 Jan 2020
In reply to Andrew Lodge:

Up to a point that's what I've been doing (for about ten years, using pure soap rather than Tech Wash). But on the worst of days I've had the Buffalo just saturated to the point liquid water trickles through. I'll use a Goretex shell  (ME Kongur) on those days, but I find if I leave it too late, or paradoxically put it on too early, the Goretex ensures a thoroughly sodden Buffalo. So I'm thinking a DWR on the Buffalo would lengthen its water resistance window so I have longer to decide whether to shell up or weather it out on a squally day.

Buffalo themselves suggest "Nikwax TX Direct SPRAY ON can be applied to the Pertex outer only after washing. Follow instructions on the bottle."

http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/advice/care/

But I thought I'd see what else experienced folk might recommend.

Andrew Lodge 05 Jan 2020
In reply to Basemetal:

I find the best thing to put on top when it is really foul is a Buffalo belay jacket. Two layers of Buffalo seems to keep anything out.

Pullhard 05 Jan 2020

Can’t imagine how hot that must be! 

Andrew Lodge 05 Jan 2020
In reply to Pullhard:

The weather does need to be really grim for it to be feasible but it's great on a long belay in winter.

Denzil 05 Jan 2020
In reply to Basemetal: the Nikwax proofer works fine -  I use the wash-in type, but dilute it a little with water and use a sprayer to go over the pertex when damp. Saves having to keep both wash-in and spray versions in stock!

OP Basemetal 05 Jan 2020
In reply to Denzil:

> the Nikwax proofer works fine -  I use the wash-in type, but dilute it a little with water and use a sprayer to go over the pertex when damp. Saves having to keep both wash-in and spray versions in stock!

Do you mean you just spray it on (diluted) rather than use it as wash-in and spray?

OP Basemetal 05 Jan 2020

I did have a Buffalo belay jacket for a bit, but found it a bulky thing to carry. You're right though, it takes a lot of weather to get through two layers. 

Andrew Lodge 05 Jan 2020
In reply to Basemetal:

Agreed, they are bulky. Mine only comes out when the forecast is really awful.

Denzil 06 Jan 2020
In reply to Basemetal:

> Do you mean you just spray it on (diluted) rather than use it as wash-in and spray?

Exactly - just spray on the pertex.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...