UKC

Winter boot options

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JStearn 27 Sep 2019

Hi,

I am currently hiking the Caucasus and will be heading east from Georgia to Azerbaijan in late October. I am considering a route that follows a ridgeline, mostly above 3000m. So far I have worn trail runners. I have a pair of Spantiks with me as I am heading to Elbrus, but I want to put in long days (30km+ if possible) and can't wear B3s. My options are a B1 or B2 boot, or trail runners with a 40 Below overboot. As the ridge will require crampons, the trail runners won't work if I take that route. Looking at a pair of Petzl Leopards, would prefer the semis rather than straps but I'm flexible. What are your recommendations for a lightweight winter boot that is comfortable for putting in long days? Sportiva Nepals and Spantiks fit me well enough if that makes a difference.

Cheers,

James

wbo2 28 Sep 2019
In reply to JStearn:I've been really happy with a pair Salomon x-alp cartons, but I'm not sure they'll be stiff or warm enough for you?

In reply to JStearn:

It's hard to know your exact needs from the description, but it might be worth looking at one of the models from Scarpa's Ribelle range. Reviews here:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/footwear/mountain_boots/scarpa_ribelle_moun...

and

https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/footwear/mountain_boots/all_round_b1-b2_mou...

OP JStearn 28 Sep 2019
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

To be honest, I'm not really sure what I need as conditions will be so variable and I can't find reports of anybody attempting this route at this time of year. It could be that trail runners might work. I'll have a better idea in the next few weeks as the first snow has arrived. Comfort and light weight are the priorities over warmth, as I want to put in multiple long days. I won't be doing anything technical solo so stiffness is not so important to me. 

PPP 28 Sep 2019
In reply to JStearn:

Had some long-ish days in Scarpa Charmoz OD. Realised they were lighter than my summer leather boots! 

They seem to work as long as it's not too cold and you don't spend too much time standing around. I've done overnighters in them as well. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...