UKC

Access problems in the Lothians and Scottish Borders

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I was just reading this thread

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/hill_talk/scottish_landowner_who_obstr...

and a few comments regarding access harassment caught my attention, in particular one person who had experienced  trouble from game keepers in the Lammermuirs.

I'm trying to compile a dossier of access issues in the Lothians and Borders area to send to my MSP. So I'd be very interested in hearing more details about such problems. You dont need to reveal anything personal but just where, when and what occurred in a little more detail.

I am well familiar with the Hopes Reservoir parking issue as I live quite close so dont need anything about that.

Many thanks!

Fat Bumbly 2.0 26 Jan 2024
In reply to Very Wild Camper:

Yester - Fences and claim of curtilege 1km from house, signs telling you to keep to core paths.

Gosford - cyclists bothered and signs demanding you only go in one way and pay (they claim they were a paid attraction beforehand, house and gardens maybe but not the greater estate)

Signs on the pylon road in the Lammermuirs (off the Longformacus - Gifford road) telling you to keep to the road.  About 10 years ago I was chased by a keeper here. Degenerated into a slanging match across the Berwickshire march.

And of course the biggy!   The well known and discussed abuse of park bylaws by Hysterical Scotland in Holyrood Park.

wbo2 26 Jan 2024

Curious as to who you are and why remaining anonymous, but asking for information, although sending them to your MSP seems a reasonable approach

J72 29 Jan 2024

I’ve spent a lot of time walking in the Lammermuirs and have to say that other than the noted access issues (particularly around Hopes and Yester) I’ve had few issues and found estate staff friendly and often stop for a chat.  I know a few people who work on estates (not in this area) and know that often they are positive about their employers as we are, often for different reasons.

there are definitely issues as described that need resolved, but I think issues with estates staff themselves are likely to be a rare occurrence?  I could be wrong of course, or maybe I have been lucky.

Thanks for the replies. That's what I need to know!

Also it seems issues apart from around Hopes and Yester are few and far between. Good!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...