UKC

Beinn Dearg (Ullapool) NW ridge start?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Planning a quick hit on Beinn Dearg tomorrow morning, wind permitting. Never followed the wall all the way up the NW ridge.

On the basis that the most faffy bit of the day is often getting out of the woods/glen onto the hill, can anyone tell me if there's a particularly good way onto the ridge from Inverlael or Glenn na Sguaib? From the map I was thinking forest tracks to the E end of the woods, staying south of the river (no need to cross), then due south up the steep ground...

In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Dan, my favourite way  is actually from Braemore Junction up the track round Beinn Enaiglair then over Iorguill and onto the ridge+wall. I' ll be over on the Fannaichs tomorrow so will give you a wave. Have a good day. Looks  reasonable forecast with still plenty of snow on tops

Post edited at 19:38
 DaveHK 06 Jan 2023

> From the map I was thinking forest tracks to the E end of the woods, staying south of the river (no need to cross), then due south up the steep ground...

I expect that will be trackless heather after the forest but as you say it avoids the river crossing. The burns were pretty high in Torridon today.

Mal Grey 06 Jan 2023

Hey Dan. Doesn't solve your river crossing if the water is as high as it might be, but we found the slopes to Bealach an Eas Fhinn from the standard glen path fairly straightforward. Though the rest of the day was spectacular snow wading so it may just have got forgotten. Seem to remember little water in the Lael, and crossing just below a small waterfall. Followed the wall from its start to the finish, which seems a surprisingly long way! Wrote it up here: https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=70565

Mal Grey 06 Jan 2023

Ah, I see from the aerial layers on OS Maps that the track in the south side of the river goes all the way to a new dam/hydro, so that should indeed mean your plan is best if the river is up. I had visions of jungle bashing in forestry plantation to get to the hillside...

Enjoy 

Fantastic, thanks all

kinley2 07 Jan 2023
In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale:

> Dan, my favourite way  is actually from Braemore Junction up the track round Beinn Enaiglair then over Iorguill and onto the ridge+wall. I' ll be over on the Fannaichs tomorrow so will give you a wave. Have a good day. Looks  reasonable forecast with still plenty of snow on tops

The stalker's path from Lochdrum farm to Enaiglair and Iorguill is probably about as easy and great underfoot. Opens up a loop of Beinn Dearg's E ridge as well.

In terms of Gleann na Sguaib, there is a fading stalkers path directly south of Glensguaib, the route direct up south from the forest edge is quite heathery but OK. My preferred route would be up from Eas Fionn to just below the end of the Destitution Wall.

Mike-W-99 07 Jan 2023

Late finish?

Hope you had a good day. Shame the cloud gathered on tops again as the afternoon went on. Sgurr Mor and Sgurr nan Clach Geala had plenty of refrozen snow above 850 metres with barely a rock showing  on Clach Geala's   North East ridge with solid neve on last 250 metres

On the way home to Gairloch noticed a lot of MRT  activity with one vehicle parked up at Fain and more  vehicles at the start of the  Corriehallie path below An Teallach with lights on the hill.An Teallach seemed very quiet this morning with only  2  vehicles in the Corriehallie layby.Maybe a Dundonnell MRT exercise?

In reply to kinley2:

Thanks, that's good info: the forest edge path was heathery but OK, as you say!

In reply to Mike-W-99:

Yes, late start, late finish. Got a bit damp on the walk-out when things took a sudden turn for the wild

I'd have given you a wave from the top but I could barely see the ground in front of me. We were glad to re-find the wall for the way down

rogerwebb 08 Jan 2023

> On the way home to Gairloch noticed a lot of MRT  activity with one vehicle parked up at Fain and more  vehicles at the start of the  Corriehallie path below An Teallach with lights on the hill.An Teallach seemed very quiet this morning with only  2  vehicles in the Corriehallie layby.Maybe a Dundonnell MRT exercise?

You're right it was an exercise. Great night for it too.

Apologies to the owners of the car at the Rhododendron start. I hope it wasn't too hard getting out past our vehicles.

In reply to rogerwebb:

Thanks Roger. I had a feeling that'what was happening given the distribution of the vehicles, with one of them up at Fain. I was a bit late getting off the hill in the gloom after 5.  There was certainly a fine moon out by then.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...