UKC

Belig or Sgurr nan Each?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I fancy doing a circuit round Bla Bheinn and Clach Glas later this year. Is it better to start up Sgurr nan Each or Belig/Garbh Bheinn? Recommendations please.

Robert Durran 15 Apr 2023
In reply to harold walmsley:

Either is great. Just depends how long a day you want.

In reply to Robert Durran:

Thanks, I hope to be fit enough for a longer day by the time I go so probably Belig.

Post edited at 11:57

A choice between longer day or a shorter, high quality day. I'd favour latter, i.e. starting up Sgurr nan Each, because all the interest is after that. You may then be inclined to linger longer (e.g. at least an hour) on the top of Blaven, because it's such a superb spot).

Robert Durran 15 Apr 2023
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Good point. Garbh Bheinn and Belig make a great separate day from the other side.

OK, food for thought. I realise the meat of the day is Clach Glas/Bla Bheinn but I am aiming for June so there is (potentially) a lot of daylight. Is there anything to choose between the quality of the two approaches?

ScraggyGoat 15 Apr 2023

Sgurr nan Each gives you better view of Clach Glas while you gain height.  Belig is alot less travelled, particularly the SE ridge which hardly has a path up it.

In reply to ScraggyGoat:

That Belig info sounds like a recommendation to me!

Iain Thow 17 Apr 2023

Both good, agree with pretty much everything said above. I would add that starting up the North Buttress of Sgurr nan Each adds a not-insignificant amount of good quality scrambling, much more than on the Belig traverse, so is a plus for the "shorter" option. 

mark s 18 Apr 2023

irrelevant to the post but just want to doff my cap and thank you for the genius of frightening the life out of me yet again with the Shinings music. 

In reply to Iain Thow:

I did also wonder about that possibility. The upvotes for that suggestion and for the suggestion to save Belig for another trip perhaps make North Buttress the front runner now. All I need is minor details like the fitness and the weather!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...