UKC

Big Scottish hill days following the best aesthetic/logical lines

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 malx 28 Mar 2022

I'm after a bit of inspiration for big days in the hills. I'm thinking 30-40 mile rounds which follow really satisfying logical routes. Ideally starting and finishing in the same place but not crucial.

By logical I mean the sort of route where, given good visibility, you don't need to consult a map as it's so obvious where to go.

The Tranter round is a great example of what I'm thinking of - you basically  go along one ridge of Glen Nevis and then come back along the other.

The Mullardoch round sounds like fits the bill but there must be other good ones?

Robert Durran 28 Mar 2022
In reply to malx:

Glen Shiel round.

Myr 28 Mar 2022
In reply to malx:

Hard without dropping down to glen level a couple of times, over that distance.

Maybe An Teallach and the Fisherfield Six from Dundonnell?

Doug 28 Mar 2022
In reply to malx:

Something like the Cairngorms west to east, eg Glenfeshie to Braeriach, Ben MacDhui, Beinn a' Bhùird & Ben Avon, finishing at Keiloch (Deeside) or Tomintoul ? (or the same in the other direction)

DaveHK 28 Mar 2022
In reply to malx:

Some good ideas here although some are a bit longer and not all are aesthetic rounds.

https://www.gofar.org.uk/ultra-challenges-by-region

The Torridon Munros round is a good, big day especially if Beinn Dearg is included.

Post edited at 18:03
 TechnoJim 28 Mar 2022
In reply to malx:

Fannichs? Although a lot of up and down and maybe a bit disjointed. Lovely though.

TechnoJim 28 Mar 2022
In reply to DaveHK:

Ooh, Knoydart 7 and Assynt Traverse look tremendous.

Qwertilot 29 Mar 2022
In reply to Myr:

Drop the round part and you can plot geographically logical routes staying high for ages of course. It does obviously tend towards splodgy moorlands and may be rather an acquired taste

Even the Cairngorms seem to suffer slightly from the valleys being so deep. But for Warcop the N Pennines N-S would be ~65km, its seemingly something like 90km from Spean Bridge over the S Moundaliath, Corrieyarack pass (low point?) then keeping trending E.

Must be some monsters in the Cheviots/Southern Uplands as well.

Basemetal 29 Mar 2022
In reply to malx:

There's always the Cuillin ridge, or the Greater Traverse with Blabhein and Clach Glas (since we're in UKC rather than UKH

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...