UKC

Bike on Ferry to Knoydart

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 spenser 14 Jul 2022

Has anyone taken a bike on the ferry across to Knoydart?

I am heading up in a few weeks to do some more munros, the approach to Ladhar Bheinn from Inverie looks to be long enough to benefit from a bike approach and I'd prefer not to pay the £34 to hire a bike of unknown reliability from the forest ranger service.

EDIT: Gone to book the ferry and it turns out you can for the princely sum of £4 each way which is pretty reasonable!

Post edited at 20:59
 Mal Grey 14 Jul 2022
In reply to spenser:

Yeah, they're pretty good like that.

If its the MV WeEstern Isles, they'll take pretty much anything!! We had a 17' canoe on top of a pile of bags, plus my own big bag of a folding canoe. To be honest, the deck was covered with all sorts of things, and most of us were sat on top of them.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/77080486@N05/28152777844/in/album-72157672007...

Stuart S 15 Jul 2022
In reply to spenser:

Yeah, we took three bikes with us on the ferry two or three years ago no problem.  A bike definitely made the approach to Ladhar Bheinn more pleasant, though it's a steep grind up the hill out of Inverie.  We also used the bikes to save a few km of walking at the start of the day doing Meall Bhuidhe and Luinne Bheinn - also recommended.

Welsh Kate 15 Jul 2022
In reply to Stuart S:

Yep, we cycled in to Folach when we did Ladhar Bheinn, and also out to the estate bothy in Gleann Meadail for Meall Bhuidhe. If you do the latter, mind the highland coos on the track!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...