UKC

Crossing the River Carron near Achnashellach

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Joe G 13 Jul 2023

Can anyone tell me if there’s a safe way to cross the River Carron between Craig and the Strathcarron Hotel?

I have an old map that shows a bridge near Achnashellach (GR 011 481) and another near Balnacra (GR 978 457) but newer maps don’t have either of these on them. There’s also the railway bridge. I’m guessing that this is a definite no-no but maybe it has a handy pedestrian bit away from the tracks… 

DaveHK 13 Jul 2023
In reply to Joe G:

If it's low it is easily forded at Lair.

Billhook 14 Jul 2023
In reply to Joe G:

Have you tried any of the aerial maps such as google maps etc., to simply look to see if there's a bridge in place?

Ian Jones 14 Jul 2023
In reply to Joe G:

I will be heading to the rail bridge you mentioned this afternoon.Thete won't be any public access as part of that structure. I am hoping there is a public footpath bridge over the river.

Rick Graham 14 Jul 2023
In reply to Joe G:

Have you looked at the walk highlands website?

In reply to Rick Graham:

Just had a quick look out of interest. Couldn't find any WH walks that cross the river except at Craig where of course there's a bridge. We don't have any on UKH either. I backtracked to Craig to cross, last time I was in the area.

Think Joe is most likely to get an answer on these forums.

DaveHK 14 Jul 2023
In reply to Joe G:

To add to my other comment,  I'm not aware of any bridge. Some that were shown on old os maps have gone and a lot of that part of the river flows across a wide, gravelly food plain so bridging is difficult.

Where were you trying to get to?

OP Joe G 14 Jul 2023
In reply to Ian Jones:

Thanks Ian, that would be really helpful if you could let me know, cheers!

OP Joe G 14 Jul 2023
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Thanks Dan 😊

OP Joe G 14 Jul 2023
In reply to DaveHK:

Thanks for that. I’m just scouting out options. I’m heading that way on Sunday with my local mountaineering club. I’ll be able to get dropped off and picked up anywhere between Achnasheen and Coulags so I was thinking of traversing Sgurr na Feartaig from Craig to Coulags. The railway bridge is in a pretty good position for this but I appreciate that even if it is possible to walk across it might be a serious criminal offence to do so!

If this was a month ago I’d be comfortable setting off in the knowledge that I can wade the river somewhere along there… but not after the recent, and forecast, rain!

In reply to Joe G:

Do you have to get to Coulags or can you return to Craig? As per...

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=1450

Post edited at 15:01
 Fat Bumbly2 14 Jul 2023
In reply to Joe G:

Never seen a bridge but have forded the river a few times. It’s one of the Cape Wrath routes so some of their blogs may help

Ian Jones 14 Jul 2023
In reply to Joe G:

Silly me.

My bridge is near Glencarron Lodge where there is a good metal bridge to east of the lodge.

The river there is not feasible so I imagine it will be deeper lower down

Fat Bumbly2 14 Jul 2023
In reply to Ian Jones:

It spreads out a bit in the Strath, braided in places.  

OP Joe G 17 Jul 2023
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Thanks for that, a fine circular route for a linear ridge.

I ended up saving Sgurr na Feartaig for another day and had a nice time scrambling around on An Ruadh-Stac instead

Thanks everyone, good to know for future that the only way to cross the Carron downstream of Craig is the road bridge near the loch, or wade when it’s low.

In reply to Joe G:

There used to be a wire "bridge' just to the west of Blackwood. By bridge I mean a wire rope with a wooden box that was pulled back and forth.  I'm not sure if it's still there and it would be totally useless if it is.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...