UKC

Deer Leg on Stob a' Chearcaill

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AJK87 30 Mar 2022

Yesterday my partner and I hiked onto Ladhar Bheinn on Knoydart, we went from Mam Barrisdale over Stob a' Chearcaill.

Right in the middle of the path on Stob a' Chearcaill was a Deer's front leg from the knee down.

It was fresh with no decay, ants, maggots flys etc. Snapped off perfectly at the joint, still soft and fleshy. It looked like it had just been snapped off.

No sign of a 3 legged deer, no crags above where the owner of the leg could have had a catastrophic fall.

The only explanation we could come up with is that perhaps the deer stalker at Barrisdale had left some limbs lying around after shooting a deer, and a bird of prey had deposited it on the Mountain top.

I didn't think cutting the legs off was normal practice though.

Just wondered if anyone has a better idea of how this stray limb might have got there.

Apologies for the graphic detail, just genuinely curious.

Post edited at 18:48
 DaveHK 30 Mar 2022
In reply to AJK87:

I've seen this too except it was all 4 legs chopped off at the knee and left standing up. Aliens or stalkers.

gld73 30 Mar 2022
In reply to AJK87:

I've seen similar - 4 lower parts of deer legs, perfectly chopped off below the knee, lying at various points down a track in Strathconon, and a couple of times finding 1 or 2 similar leg parts on other hill walks. I never found an answer by googling, so await an informed answer with interest!

Ridge 30 Mar 2022
In reply to gld73:

Someone tried to sell me 8 severed legs for £50 once, but it was two deer...

JimbotheScot 30 Mar 2022

They have glands in the legs so if they don't choppy choppy it can spoil the meat

jonfun21 30 Mar 2022
In reply to AJK87:

Sorry I have no idea 

gld73 31 Mar 2022
In reply to JimbotheScot:

Thanks for enlightening me, that does seem to be the reason. Just been reading about tarsal, metatarsal and interdigital glands in deer legs ... I'm now looking forward to coming across some chopped off deer legs in the hills when I'm with someone else so I can share my new-found knowledge!!

Flinticus 31 Mar 2022
In reply to AJK87:

I found, or rather my dog did, a well rotten deer leg in a tree near Neilston Quarry outside Glasgow. 

At least now I have an idea why.

Billhook 31 Mar 2022
In reply to AJK87:

I'm jealous.  I've never ever seen one or more deer legs on their own.  

Bottom Clinger 31 Mar 2022
In reply to Billhook:

> I'm jealous.  I've never ever seen one or more deer legs on their own.  

I have.  I've seen four in a roe.

65 31 Mar 2022
In reply to Flinticus:

> I found, or rather my dog did, a well rotten deer leg in a tree near Neilston Quarry outside Glasgow. 

You have a dog that can climb trees??

Billhook 31 Mar 2022
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

> I have.  I've seen four in a roe.

Groan !!!!!  (Nice one though! - It didn't fall on Fallow ground and I didn't see Red at your joke)

Post edited at 21:26
In reply to AJK87:

I was doing DofE supervision once, and we stopped at a regular meeting point, down a quiet country back lane. We got out of the car to wait, and got increasingly disturbed by an awful smell.

It turned out to be legs, lights and head of a deer. Presumably cleaned at the scene by a poacher. Or maybe an opportunist who had hit or found a deer on the road...

Flinticus 02 Apr 2022
In reply to 65:

She can if they've fallen!

This tree was small and she was at its base, stretched up with nose in the air twitching. A few feet above was the leg.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...