UKC

Depending CMD arete from Ben Nevis

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dakin 25 Jul 2021

So my partner wants to do Ben Nevis. Im not overly fussed id rather do any other Munro to escape the crowds. As I'm sure you can all appreciate - We're doing Ben Nevis 😂 Keeps the peace 

To make it worth while I'm considering coming down the CMD arete which in its self is no issue were both climbers and I have plenty of scrambling experience. My question is - Is there a more direct "path" down from the munro summit to the CIC hut? Rather than walking a few kms north west on what looks like a pretty boring path to the the river? Alternatively is the screen slope easy enough to traverse down?

Harvey's map doesn't show one but view ranger does. I dont have OS for that area but I assume it won't be on there anyway since OS are s****

Cheers in advance

Post edited at 09:31
 DaveHK 25 Jul 2021
In reply to Dakin:

> since OS are s****

​​​​​​A poor workman blames his tools. OS maps are generally excellent.

​​​​​​Your post is a bit unclear, are you talking about descending from Carn Mor Dearg to the CIC? If so you can go down to the bealach between it and Carn Dearg Meadhonach and walk straight down (west) to near the hut. It's steepish grass and some scree but just walking. There's no path.

Post edited at 09:51
 olddirtydoggy 25 Jul 2021
In reply to Dakin:

This one kind of came up last week. Here's a link to the thread:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/rock_talk/descent_from_ben_nevis_back_int...?

Good luck.

Rich W Parker 25 Jul 2021
In reply to Dakin:

Just make sure you avoid Observatory Gully......................

peppermill 25 Jul 2021
In reply to Dakin:

Probably a much nicer walk to go up the CMD arete, assuming you're not planning to go up one of the routes or scrambles on the north face.

Bit of a slog of an uphill to get to the start of the rocky part of the ridge but you have the best side of the mountain right in front of you the whole way, making the walk feel somewhat atmospheric as you look across at the north face. I've done it both ways and coming down it is a bit "Meh" IMO and it involves trudging up the tedious main path.

P.S. OS maps are just great if you know what you're doing with them....;p

Post edited at 15:51
 Mike-W-99 25 Jul 2021
In reply to Dakin:

I normally just go down the ridge which has never come across as boring. Just don’t do what this bunch did(I still have t quite worked out how they ended up there) 

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/highlands/3335398/lochaber-mounta...

Post edited at 17:18
OP Dakin 25 Jul 2021
In reply to DaveHK:

> ​​​​​​A poor workman blames his tools. OS maps are generally excellent.

Mmm yeah probably a little harsh on OS. I do prefer Harvey maps these days

> ​​​​​​Your post is a bit unclear, are you talking about descending from Carn Mor Dearg to the CIC? If so you can go down to the bealach between it and Carn Dearg Meadhonach and walk straight down (west) to near the hut. It's steepish grass and some scree but just walking. There's no path.

Steepish grass is fine so ill do that thanks!

OP Dakin 25 Jul 2021

Thanks all. I've got the information I was after. Much appreciated 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...