UKC

Stacan Dubha - munro top?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 steveq 15 Jul 2022

Some other sites (e.g. walkhighlands) list Stacan Dubha (1013m) - a subsidiary top of Beinn Mheadhoin in the Cairngorms - as a Munro Top. I can't find it in the UKH  ticklist though, I've noticed other discrepancies before but mostly due to variations in naming. So, is it a Top or not? Does anyone know where I should be looking for the definitive list?

Regards,

Stephen

Graeme G 15 Jul 2022
In reply to steveq:

I’m not sure where to find the definitive list (SMC website doesn’t have a link) but hill bagging has it as a top.

https://www.hill-bagging.co.uk/mountaindetails.php?qu=S&rf=574

Its also shown as a top on my 1982 Munro map. Although I appreciate that’s possibly outdated.

Wikipedia also lists it

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Munro_mountains

Post edited at 08:49
 Kimberley 15 Jul 2022
In reply to steveq:

The current list of Munros can be found in the 2021 edition of The Munros book or by using the SMC Munros app.

Stacan Dubha 1013m is listed as a top along with Stob Coire Etchacan 1082m

Graeme G 15 Jul 2022
In reply to Kimberley:

> The current list of Munros can be found in the 2021 edition of The Munros book or by using the SMC Munros app.

I downloaded that, but couldn’t access any lists?

Kimberley 15 Jul 2022
In reply to Graeme G:

There isn't an A-Z list but click Munros&Routes then view by section each Munro is listed....Of course the get full features you need to pay £12.99. 

There is another app called Hill Lists which is free and pretty good. It offers all the previous  lists too.

OP steveq 15 Jul 2022
In reply to Kimberley:

Does that book also include the list of "Tops" though? The Munros and Munro Tops are two different collections of hills. The latter group are generally only bagged by the true connoisseurs

It seems like this is an oversight and should be included in the UKH ticklist, I'll report it to the webmaster.

Stephen

OP steveq 15 Jul 2022
In reply to steveq:

To answer my own question, it looks like it does. Seems like a good reason to chuck some money at SMC and get a copy.

Stephen

Kimberley 15 Jul 2022
In reply to steveq:

well worth it, the most recent copy has lots of useful info and is just a really nice book to have.

rif 15 Jul 2022
In reply to steveq:

Stacan Dubha too is well worth it. It's a nice wee rocky top and has an outstanding view of the amphitheatre of crags round the head of Loch Avon.

OP steveq 15 Jul 2022
In reply to rif:

Definitely agree with that, the view from Stacan Dubha is stunning. We were camped up at Loch Etchachan last Saturday, it was a nice evening for a wee wander, the light across the top of Glen Avon was beautiful. Incredible to see so many tents out there as well, 16 at Loch Etchachan and something like 17 in Glen Avon.

Stephen

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...