UKC

Walking with a dog

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fred and Okey 10 Jan 2023

Hi

Really enjoyed your post.

I'm intending to walk LEJOG from April with my dog (german shepherd). I'll be using the cicerone guide route.

I wanted some advice on the Highland section. Are there any deer fences to negotiate? My concern was getting the dog over. Should I take the cape wrath trail instead?

Many thanks 

Fred

Lankyman 10 Jan 2023
In reply to Fred and Okey:

You could take the high road or the low road

blackcat 10 Jan 2023

As long as your dog is up to it,id take the easiest route.

gld73 10 Jan 2023

I don't know what the Cicerone route for the Highlands section is, but the John o'Groats Trail from JoG to Inverness is a decent route. I haven't completed it all yet, still the most northern parts to do, but I can't think of anything in the sections I've done that would be difficult for a dog as long as they're on a lead when necessary. 

If you're talking about taking the Cape Wrath trail potentially,  so going from Fort William, the alternative is that the Great Glen Way from Fort William links up with the John o'Groats trail at Inverness; I think that would be easier terrain than the Cape Wrath trail, especially in bad weather. Easier to stock up on supplies on the way too so you don't need to carry all the dog food and your own food!

top cat 10 Jan 2023

I train my dog to lie quietly across my shoulder s so that I can carry her over deer fences.  Don't have to do it very often, but we are both prepared.

veteye 11 Jan 2023

I wonder if all these cat owners may be leading you into a trap, by saying that things are not too bad....

Whilst gld73 has a point about buying food for both en route, there is the question of whether, not being able to get the correct food, your German Shepherd may get the Sh*ts through change of diet (especially being the breed that he/she is).

montyjohn 11 Jan 2023
In reply to veteye:

> I wonder if all these cat owners may be leading you into a trap, by saying that things are not too bad....

> Whilst gld73 has a point about buying food for both en route, there is the question of whether, not being able to get the correct food, your German Shepherd may get the Sh*ts through change of diet (especially being the breed that he/she is).

As a cat owner diet is still a problem for us.

Our cat will have the craps unless she's fed on dry purina 1.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...