UKC

3 Day, 2 night expedition in Central Scotland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Shane1990 13 Sep 2022

Good evening gentlefolk of UKH. I am looking to take my partner on a hiking expedition to Scotland. Due to time constraints, around 6 hour travel time is our max, which puts us in the Cairngorms, Glen Nevis, Ben Alder central belt.

I am looking to conduct a circular walk, taking in some munros, with a view to wild camp. My initial thought was Ben Alder from Dalwhinnie, taking in the surrounding Munros and back again.

I am also considering a Cairngorm circular, taking in Braeraich and its traverse, corrour bothy, up to Ben Macdui and into Loch Avon, before a final day taking in Cairngorm and descent to the car park.

Are there any further suggestions that you can recommend?! Thanks.

Dr.S at work 13 Sep 2022
In reply to Shane1990:

Where are you traveling from? May be worth considering a linear route using trains in that area.

J72 14 Sep 2022
In reply to Shane1990:

Hi - unsure how flexible your travel time is exactly but another option would be to park near cluanie inn and walk much of the ‘south glen shiel ridge’, camp nearer the end of the ridge and then walk back to the car the next day walking the ‘brother’s ridge’ on the north side of the road.  This would be 10 munros (7 and 3) with some fantastic views and great walking though the south ridge is about 6000ft ascent so certainly not an easy day.

unsure from your post how far or ambitious you want to be/how experienced or fit your partner is so hard to recommend places that fit the bill 

ben b 14 Sep 2022
In reply to Shane1990:

Although many years since I last went in there, the Dalwhinnie to Culra bit (at least on foot) was pretty dull. We hitched a lift with some stone workers from Italy who were being paid well to do something for the local sheikh/laird, which eased the pain! The train based linear route sounds like a much better idea, although needs some commitment logistically. 

b

veteye 14 Sep 2022
In reply to J72:

That's an idea, but means carrying more weight if partner is not that fit.

Another idea might be to camp in Glen Nevis, near the Steall waterfall, then there are the lovely Mamores on the Steall side (have the fun of crossing the bridge in certain scenarios); so Devil's ridge possibilities and many more; and there are the Aonachs and Grey Corries on t'other side. That way you can vary the length according to ability and the weather. 

Maybe you could even get to stay in the Steall hut if it is free at the time (book ahead of course).

Ramblin dave 14 Sep 2022
In reply to Dr.S at work:

> Where are you traveling from? May be worth considering a linear route using trains in that area.

Yeah, this. For instance, rather than doing Ben Alder as a circular from Dalwhinnie, a linear (well, semicircular I suppose) route from Rannoch to Corrour is really good. Pitlochry to Aviemore is also nice - there are a couple of route options via Glen Feshie or the Lairig Ghru depending on what you fancy.

Dr.S at work 14 Sep 2022
In reply to ben b:

Agree - last time I did something in that direction from dalwhinnie I went through Dirc Mhor NN591860 which is pretty spectacular. 
then across to Geal Charn and on from there - a good mix of chasm, Strath, regenerating woodland and Munro.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...