UKC

Ben Lui or Ben Cruachan

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
AMFMunro 25 Jan 2018

Hi all,

First post in here and new to Munro bagging (currently at 5).

I will be in Oban with the family the second week in April and would like to do a double Munro walk. The obvious walks are Ben Lui/Beinn a'Chleibh and Ben Cruachan/Stob Diamh as these are both close by.

I have done a bit of research online , You Tube, Walkhighlands etc and they both look good walks.  I will be walking myself and don't want anything too technical. Also, at this time of year what should I expect re snow levels? is Ben Lui route best from Glen Lochy or up Cononish way? I will probably do both these walks sometime this year anyway but just wanting to hear what other people recommend/experiences etc.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

Wee Davie 25 Jan 2018
In reply to AMFMunro:

Cononish approach to Ben Lui is one of the most spectacular hill views in Scotland (I think). In April Ben Lui will look like a mini Eigerwand if the snow cover is there (most likely). It's cycleable to the foot of the hill (about 5km) so take a bike. If the conditions are right do Central Gully (I). It's a fantastic Winter Route taking you to within a few steps of the summit.

Wee Davie 25 Jan 2018
In reply to AMFMunro:

If you find the Central Gully looks too intimidating then you can go up the walking routes on the shoulders. 

Bob Aitken 25 Jan 2018
In reply to AMFMunro:

Unfortunately it's just impossible to say what weather and snow conditions will be like in mid-April - there's at least a possibility that you may find old hard snow and ice on the crests of Lui and Cruachan, so you might want to take advice much nearer the time.   They're very fine hills but maybe neither is an ideal place to start winter hill-walking if you lack that experience.

Cruachan is a shapely rugged hill from any approach, and its ridges give fantastic views on a clear day, a top-quality Munro.  One potentially awkward slabby step east of the main top has been the scene of accidents in the past, though it's easier when you're heading eastwards.

I agree with Wee Davie that the Cononish approach to Lui is very fine (despite the expanding gold mine).  But again depending on your experience, Central Gully may be a bit demanding for you, especially on your own.  The Glen Lochay approach to Beinn a'Chleibh and Lui is much less appealing, apart from the possible problems of getting across the river (which may need a wade, https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25867 ), over or under the railway (maybe another wade), and up through the forest (mucky and wet).

But in the right conditions either hill should give you a day to remember.

estivoautumnal 25 Jan 2018
In reply to AMFMunro:

Cruachan will give you a day of ridge walking. Ben Lui will give a long approach and a summit. For me it's Cruachan every time. You have a picturesque walk up through a birch forest to the dam, then mountain scenery to the ridge. That then leads on to a fine day's walk around the tops and a scenic descent back to the car. 

However, if the weather is crap, Ben Lui may be a better option.

Simon Caldwell 26 Jan 2018
In reply to AMFMunro:

Ben Lui is IMO best done from Dalrigh in combination with Ben Oss and Beinn Dubhcraig, and adding Beinn a' Chleibh doesn't add too much. Not too technical (unless you go via the fine Central Gully) but quite a long day. I certainly wouldn't bother with the Glen Lochy approach unless you're after a quick tick.

Ben Cruachan is another long day but again manageable (if you're fit enough!)

FWIW I'd put both of your ideas in my top three days in the Southern Highlands (the other being Ben More/Stob Binnein by the Choire Caorach skyline)

In reply to AMFMunro:

Hi Andy

I'd echo what others have said about approaching Ben Lui via Cononish - it's far more scenic (if a longer day) than the other common approach.

For a 3-munro day also taking in Oss and Dubhchraig, this route card might be useful:

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=922

If you're not confident soloing a long grade I winter climb that can be potentially very serious (avalanche and/or cornice issues are common) then I'd absolutely avoid Central Gully. As these sorts of routes go it's easy, but it is still most definitely mountaineering rather than straight hillwalking, and can feel very steep and exposed at the top (after starting easy and drawing you in...). If you're climbing Lui from the east via Cononish and up through Coire Gaothach you have two other choices besides CG - the left hand or right hand ridges of the corrie. The left ridge (on your left if facing uphill towards the summit) is the steeper and more technical of the two, itself a borderline grade I winter climb albeit with only a fairly short steep bit. The least problematic option for non-climbing walkers is the right hand ridge, and even that might feel exciting depending on conditions and your experience. 

Amounts of snow are anyone's guess at any time of year, but early April could well be full winter conditions on the high ground (or conversely it could be green...) so go prepared for the worst (ie. best)

AMFMunro 26 Jan 2018
In reply to AMFMunro:

Thanks for all your comments, all very helpful. I have limited experience of winter walking as first was Schiehallion last week  in deep snow, but I know Lui and Cruachan are a whole different ball game. I do have crampons and ice axe and generally well equipped with everything else.

I'm leaning towards Cruachan as i like the ideal of the ridge walk. I do like solo walking but just don't want to come across anything too demanding. As a mid40 something i am not as gallus as I used to be. I will look into nearer the time and if snow levels are minimal and forecast is good i will get out and enjoy the hills.  

I also have the Pap of Glencoe on my sights for that week as well, with my 12 year old son. fingers crossed for a good week weather wise.

Cheers

Andy

kinley2 26 Jan 2018
In reply to AMFMunro:

In terms of technicality then Beinn a Chochuill and Beinn Eunaich are down a notch or two from Cruachan and have superb views.

If you have Munro blinkers that cannot be removed so be it.....but if not there are great wee hills on Mull (Creach Bheinn is a favourite, Dun da Gaoithe is very easy). The hills near Loch Creran - Munro Sgulaird, Corbett Creach Bheinn and Grahams Beinn Bhreac, Molurgainn and Mheadhonach all have great views. The lower hills are less likely to have any residual hard pack snow in April.

Mark Bull 26 Jan 2018
In reply to AMFMunro:

Beinn a'Bheithir would be another good option within reasonable driving distance of Oban. 

minstrel 26 Jan 2018
In reply to AMFMunro:

Ask family to drop you off at Dalrigh,walk over the 4 munros and get picked up on the A85.

Check the river lochy isn't in spate at the beginning of the day.

veteye 26 Jan 2018
In reply to AMFMunro:  

> I also have the Pap of Glencoe on my sights for that week as well, with my 12 year old son. fingers crossed for a good week weather wise.

I probably will draw the fire of some, but I would aim a little higher than the Pap of Glencoe for your son, unless he is unfit. I would at least give chance to go further/higher if he is doing alright . What about the Mamores. I might go with Sgurr Eilde Mor, or Mullach Nan Coirean/Stob Ban. I took my son up similar hills at a similar age and the same time of year.

Rob

Removed User 26 Jan 2018
In reply to AMFMunro:

You can do Cruachan using the train from Oban in a day.

AMFMunro 27 Jan 2018
In reply to Mark Bull:

This is another one I am looking at and this looks good as well.

AMFMunro 27 Jan 2018
In reply to kinley2:

Cheers, as newer to Munro walking I have tended to stick to the more well know ones, as probably see this as safer as more likely to be more people on these hills. But always open to alternatives that so will look into Beinn a'Chochuill and Beinn Eunaich.

AMFMunro 27 Jan 2018
In reply to veteye:

I have done Ben Lomond with my son last year and he was fine.  I just fancy doing the Pap as well that week along with my bigger walk.  

AMFMunro 27 Jan 2018
In reply to minstrel:

How long do you reckon the 4 Munro walk from Dalrigh would take? and how deep would the river be if it was in spate? is is wadeable with a couple of bin bags on my legs. LOL

Removed User 27 Jan 2018
In reply to AMFMunro:

T

> How long do you reckon the 4 Munro walk from Dalrigh would take? and how deep would the river be if it was in spate? is is wadeable with a couple of bin bags on my legs. LOL

Took me 10 hours on a poor day in May. Went clockwise and contoured back under Ben Lui to the east to avoid having to reclimb it. Also cycled halfway up the glen to shorten the day. Saw nothing and navigating most of the day.

minstrel 27 Jan 2018
In reply to AMFMunro:

Depending on weather,fitness etc about 8 hours.

River crossing is easy if water levels are low. The river runs parallel with the road so you can have a look before you start.

Deleted baggers train idea is useful for ben Lui as well, travelling to Tyndrum lower.

Dave Hewitt 27 Jan 2018
In reply to AMFMunro:

There's a lot to be said for doing a round of just the three highest Munros from Dalrigh - which is itself quite a long day, anything under 7hr is brisk - and leaving Chleibh for another time. It's one of those Munros (of which there are quite a lot) which benefits from treated as a one-hill outing rather than being tagged on to its neighbour. Going at it from the Succoth Lodge side with no designs on Lui gives a decent half-day-ish outing that avoids the awkward river and railway crossings.

Note that if doing any kind of round from Dalrigh, going clockwise ie Dubhchraig first means that Lui will be climbed by its SE ridge which is a bit of a grind - it's a couple of km and 450m of ascent from the Oss col, at a rather ploddy angle even if it does in due course bring a tremendous perch of a summit. Going anticlockwise allows one of the steeper Coire Gaothach ridges to be climbed - the right-hand one tends to be the regular way - then amble down the SE ridge towards Oss etc.

estivoautumnal 27 Jan 2018
In reply to AMFMunro:

If you do choose to do Cruachan I suggest traveling the ridge anti clockwise. This leaves the main peak as the final attraction of the day. However if it's cloudy then be aware of the false path leading off Drochaid Ghlas. It veers a bit to the right and the path peters out. If this happens turn back and take the south west path. 

It's difficult to say one hill is better than another but I prefer Cruachan.

AMFMunro 31 Jan 2018
In reply to estivoautumnal:

thanks, i think i will do Cruachan.  will check snow levels nearer the time and will probably only go if forecast is good.

Flinticus 02 Feb 2018
In reply to AMFMunro:

I would have a plan B ready. Done a lot more winter walking (but am no hard core mountaineer!) and I would be wary of Cruachan in late winter conditions on my own. As for Ben Lui, even more wary. Extensive old snow fields, even if no fresh snow, can be major issues, more of a slip risk than fresh snow. That old stuff can be hard and polished. A walk up Schiehallion, even in deep snow and if that is all you have done is no preparation for Cruachan or Lui.

Someone else mentioned Beinn a'Chochuill and Beinn Eunaich which i would second. Also the hills accessible from Glen Crenan.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...