UKC

Corbett recommendation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dave the Rave 11 Sep 2020

Morning

Im off up to Arisaig for a week and looking for a shortish, well pathed Corbett nearby.

My 1980’s Landranger 40 shoes Rois Bheinn from the A861 as ? a possibility.

Anyone got any recommendations please?

The easier,shorter and well pathed the better.

Thanks

Dave

Mike-W-99 11 Sep 2020
In reply to Dave the Rave:

Doubt you'll manage quite that combination ,corbetts aren't meant to be easy. How about Sgurr an Utha, from memory its a decent estate track for part of the ascent.

Its a big area for stalking btw.

OP Dave the Rave 11 Sep 2020
In reply to Mike-W-99:

Thanks Mike I’ll have a look at that.

Is staking underway now?

By well pathed I mean probably easy to access rather than a bomber footpath to the top. I’ll only have half a day to do it so want a bimble up and down if possible.

thans

dave

skog 11 Sep 2020

Rois Bheinn is part of a wonderful round of three Corbetts, but that'd take more than half a day for most. But if you don't mind just nipping up and back down it and coming back another time to do the round, you could easily do it from the west and it's a lovely hill.

If you're Corbett bagging and just want to take the chance to knock one off the list, your best bet is probably Sgurr an Utha, NW of Glenfinnan. I don't remember it being well pathed, though!

If it doesn't have to be a Corbett, there are a couple of rugged, lovely hills - Carn a'Ghobhair and Sgurr Bhuidhe - that you can do by way of a good path from the south end of Mallaig. Both are under 2000', but it's a great bit of countryside.

Peak stalking season now until 3rd week October

skog 11 Sep 2020
In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale:

But that shouldn't be a problem if you're sticking to paths and ridges.

Robert Durran 11 Sep 2020
In reply to skog:

> If you're Corbett bagging and just want to take the chance to knock one off the list, your best bet is probably Sgurr an Utha, NW of Glenfinnan. I don't remember it being well pathed, though!

It has a good track up its SW ridge to about half height, then pretty pathless, but it ghets you through the worst vegetation.

Post edited at 12:49

None of them are easy round there. The Odhars are very rough, Ghuibhsachain area is both rough and far from the road,  Streap is great but pretty far in. A quick hit on one of the Rois-Bheinn group is a better bet for a short day - An Stac is closest to the road (though actually the non-Corbett Druim Fiaclach is the best part of the range, with a nice scrambly ridge). Possibly best for your needs is Sgurr an Utha, but that's the only one I've not done so can't legitimately recommend it. 

Braigh nan Uamhachan can be done from either Gleann Dubh Lighe or Ghleann Fionnlighe. About 8km each way and 850m of ascent. 

In reply to skog:

Thanks all. I’m not Corbett bagging so it doesn’t need to be a specific height. Anything above 750m would suffice, just an up and down with no dramatics of route finding through FC or dodgy farmland.

Does Rois Bheinn fit this criteria and is the start easy to find/park?

Ta

skog 11 Sep 2020

> Does Rois Bheinn fit this criteria and is the start easy to find/park?

Yes, if you start near Roshven Farm on the A861.

In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Thanks Dan

I found this which could be useful

Rois-Bheinn - Hill Bagging

https://www.hill-bagging.co.uk/mountaindetails.php?qu=S&rf=1334

https://getlostmountaineering.co.uk/walks.php?id=985

Post edited at 15:25
In reply to skog:

Thanks Skog

Flinticus 11 Sep 2020
In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale:

I second your suggestion. There's a track most of the way up the glen. None on the ridge but a great walk.

Sgurr an Utha. Camped up there. Track part of the way.  

JCurrie 12 Sep 2020

Streap.

Wee drive back towards FW but superb hill.

Jase 

StockportAl 12 Sep 2020

I'd suggest Beinn Resipol, it has a path up from the caravan site on Loch Sunart, it can be a bit wet in places but it's a nice mountain in good weather.

Most of what I've done in the Moidart & Morven area has more or less devoid of paths.

Robert Durran 12 Sep 2020
In reply to StockportAl:

> I'd suggest Beinn Resipol, it has a path up from the caravan site on Loch Sunart, it can be a bit wet in places but it's a nice mountain in good weather.

That path was pretty boggy at the start of July when it had barely rained for three months. It must be really bad now! Nice hill though.

Phill_Away 12 Sep 2020
In reply to skog:

and sundays

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...