UKC

Fairfieild Horseshoe question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 NIGBEE 29 Oct 2012
Is it best clockwise or anti?
 bluebealach 29 Oct 2012
In reply to NIGBEE: Clockwise......no particular reason.
 Wesley Orvis 29 Oct 2012
In reply to NIGBEE:

Clockwise
 Billy the fish 29 Oct 2012
In reply to NIGBEE: From the Grasmere side, going anticlockwise makes for easier navigation through the steep ground to the top. Reversing the direction means you need to be careful with identifying your route down.
 lowersharpnose 29 Oct 2012
In reply to NIGBEE:

You finish at The Golden Rule if you go clockwise.

emc110502 30 Oct 2012
In reply to NIGBEE: Clockwise
 Glyno 30 Oct 2012
In reply to lowersharpnose:
> (In reply to NIGBEE)
>
> You finish at The Golden Rule if you go clockwise.

I was undecided, but that, for me, is a good enough reason to favour clockwise.

LeeWood 31 Oct 2012
In reply to NIGBEE: Reading this thread has made me feel kinda homesick - I lived in Grasmere for 7 years. A nice circuit for running.

Presuming you don't live on the spot, you have to finish where you park the car, so the Q for me would be 'preference to walk the flat at start or end'. A late start in the day would favour the latter.
 Mark Bull 31 Oct 2012
In reply to NIGBEE:

Another vote for clockwise: I prefer to gain height quickly than have a knee-crunching descent at the very end.
In reply to Mark Bull:
> (In reply to NIGBEE)
>
> Another vote for clockwise: I prefer to gain height quickly than have a knee-crunching descent at the very end.

Agreed.

I will be doing this before the end of the year too so clockwise it is.

J1234 31 Oct 2012
In reply to NIGBEE: Clockwise, but I would let wind direction decide me, and avoid walking into a head wind.
 GrahamD 31 Oct 2012
In reply to NIGBEE:

Clockwise for me, then depending how I'm feeling it can be extended over Red Screes.
 Wainers44 31 Oct 2012
In reply to NIGBEE: Another Clockwise vote. The jog off Nab Scar if left to the end is harder on the knees than the roll down the lane into Ambleside (or maybe thats just my old knees!). Dont forget to add Stone Arthur as you pass.
 Dave Hewitt 31 Oct 2012
In reply to NIGBEE:

One advantage with going anticlockwise is that the little rocky step on Low Pike is less awkward and more pleasant if taken in ascent.
 MattJP 31 Oct 2012
In reply to NIGBEE:

I have never done it clockwise but to me it just feels so natural heading out of Ambleside to do it anti clockwise and still end up in the Golden Rule afterwards!

As someone mentioned, the little rocky step is quite fun in ascent!
 parkovski 31 Oct 2012
In reply to sjc:
> (In reply to NIGBEE) Clockwise, but I would let wind direction decide me, and avoid walking into a head wind.

The two ridges are virtually parallel surely?!

In reply to parkovski:
> (In reply to sjc)
> [...]
>
> The two ridges are virtually parallel surely?!

I was thiking that although there is the 'arc' part over Fairfield which I suppose could end up with you walking into or with the wind.

parkovski 31 Oct 2012
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

There's probably only a mile or so between fairfield and hart crag where you are really heading west-east isn't there... it's an amazingly long and thin horseshoe that would only fit some sort of melted dali-esque pony.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...