UKC

Fell walking with a back support belt.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 coldfell 20 Jan 2020

I wondered if anyone has experience of wearing a lower back support for fell walking. I am in the process of researching online and they can range massively in price, but none mention fellwalking/climbing as being possible/comfortable. I have chronic lumbar/SI pain and over the weekend on a Munro trip, the pain and muscle spasm was overwhelming on the second day. I guess a comfortable material and easy adjustment to be primary features. Any recommendations?

Dorine

girlymonkey 20 Jan 2020
In reply to coldfell:

Have you seen a physio about strengthening exercises for it? As far as I understand, supports are rarely the answer as your muscles don't do the work themselves so get weaker. Presumably there is a weakness which needs addressed.

Ffat Boi 20 Jan 2020
In reply to coldfell:

I have used a "slimming " belt from argos for my back, they tend to be wider, so it will cover a bigger area. Still very flexible and light. And they are very cheap.

The belt will keep your back supported and warm and that in turn should hopefully give you some relief.

OP coldfell 21 Jan 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

Thanks, yes physio's, docs, sports massage, MRI scan - conclusion is arthritis in spine. I do everything I can to stay fit and active, but the recent experience on the fell was debilitating, when I tightened up my sac waist strap it gave a momentary relief - made me think a support could be useful when needed.

OP coldfell 21 Jan 2020
In reply to Ffat Boi:

I will look into that! thanks.

petegunn 21 Jan 2020
In reply to coldfell:

I have used one of the wide elastic lumbar supports a few years ago whilst winter climbing. Mine was about £40 so not cheep. I had problems in my lower back and sciatica especially whilst carrying a heavy rucksack and the support definitely helped whilst descending. I also used it on the drive up to Scotland (~4hrs, I also use a lumbar support on the car seat). They do add quite a bit of warmth so sweating could be a problem, but they are washable.

Overall I found it useful to wear whilst my back recovered and got stronger. Doing Glute Bridges helped a lot with strengthening. 

https://www.physioroom.com/product/PhysioRoom_Elite_Sports_Back_Brace_Extra...

Post edited at 12:53
OP coldfell 21 Jan 2020
In reply to petegunn:

Thanks for your help Pete, I have ordered one of the above supports - will try it in car also as I can barely walk after a long car journey! Hoping time might heal eventually, although it has been bad for over 3 years. The glute bridge looks useful too - I was never even aware of these muscles until they started cramping during walking/standing/working! 

Dorine

Dave the Rave 21 Jan 2020
In reply to coldfell:

NICE guidelines don’t recommend the issue of back supports for back pain.

However, NICE isn’t always correct.

During these colder months the warmth generated by a fabric back support may offer some relief.

I echo that a strengthening and stretching programme along side a belt may offer you relief. 

Steve Clegg 21 Jan 2020
In reply to coldfell:

Dorine

Two things that sorted me out in the early 90s:

https://www.medesign.co.uk/MEDesign-Backfriend

https://www.google.co.uk/search?safe=strict&ei=WlQnXsHUB6ad1fAP-_O9MA&a...

No guarantees but they helped me, recommended by physios at work.

Steve

Outnabout 21 Jan 2020
In reply to coldfell:

Perhaps strengthen your core, if you have a weak core it could result in back pain, always try to find the root of the problem before relying on supports as this can sometimes lead to more problems. 

OP coldfell 22 Jan 2020
In reply to Steve Clegg:

Thanks Steve, some good links there. Strange I have never suffered a back problem until reaching the age of 60, thought I was immune being short and fit, despite that I will keep on keeping on!

Dorine

Bulls Crack 26 Jan 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

There was a meta-analysis a couple of years ago (?) indicating that the  'support' benefits of bandages etc for spains etc was unproven...can' t seem to find it

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...