UKC

Knees

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 07 Aug 2017
Just after a bit of info and guidance.

Years ago I did get problems with Iliotibial Band Syndrome when descendin but since putting Superfeet insoles in my boots it hasn't troubled me.

What I do find now, and I suppose it's an age thing, is a general lack of flexibilty and some weakness when walking downhill. There is NO associated pain

Quick question, anyone know if support sleeves will help, if so any particular type?

Thanks
 nniff 07 Aug 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Walking poles, I'm afraid. Also help 'general weakness' when going up hill too.
Stretching too - see if you can get those toes any closer.
OP mypyrex 07 Aug 2017
In reply to nniff:

Already use poles
 Rip van Winkle 08 Aug 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

I can't say whether they would help you, but my advice from wearing a neoprene knee support after wrenching a knee is that if you do, then use the ones with an open knee-cap (patella). Otherwise you can be pushing the knee-cap too tightly onto the rest of the joint.
In reply to mypyrex:

I was told by a physio not to wear them unless it was an emergency
 SteveSBlake 09 Aug 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

I feel quite spritely for my age, and can plod uphill without too much trouble. But 10 minutes into a descent and my knees lose their strength and stability. Not painful, but very tired and unstable.......

It's a bugger, nothing helps much, I use only pole coming down though, because I trip up over two - Oh dear!

I find I'm constantly looking over my shoulder to see if the Grim Reaper is catching up - If it's downhill he probably is!

Steve
 top cat 09 Aug 2017
In reply to SteveSBlake:

You don't need to worry about the Grim Reaper.......he is too busy following me about
OP mypyrex 09 Aug 2017
In reply to SteveSBlake:

Thanks for that response. That is much the same experience that I have. At least I'm not alone.
Bserk 10 Aug 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

sleeves will keep your knees warm which can reduce discomfort. I'd suggest building up the muscle around the knee joint (mainly quads) with weight training.
 marsbar 10 Aug 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember you shouldn't wear the supports unless you really need them as you will just make them even weaker. It may be worth a one off session with a private physio for strengthening exercises and proper advice?
OP mypyrex 10 Aug 2017
In reply to marsbar:
> I could be wrong, but I seem to remember you shouldn't wear the supports unless you really need them as you will just make them even weaker.

Must admit I had heard something similar. I'm off to do the TMB at the end of the month. I think I should be ok if the descents are not too grotty. I'll not be rushing.
Post edited at 08:35
Rigid Raider 10 Aug 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Take up road cycling; your cardio-vascular fitness will rocket and the regular, controlled exercise will strengthen your leg muscles and your knee joints.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...