UKC

Wee bastards

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 henwardian 07 May 2020

First blood has been spilt on Skye.

Dr.S at work 07 May 2020
In reply to henwardian:

Now, what happens if a midge gets corona virus? Could this be the end of the little bastards?

OP henwardian 07 May 2020
In reply to Dr.S at work:

Only if your belief in the land of dreams is so strong you have managed to create it through the power of faith alone!

Dr.S at work 07 May 2020
In reply to henwardian:

A year of hills sacrificed for the ultimate silver lining?

Rob Parsons 07 May 2020

> Now, what happens if a midge gets corona virus? Could this be the end of the little bastards?

I have often wondered about the possibility of midges getting viruses which they could pass on to humans. If that happened we would have a problem.

OP henwardian 07 May 2020

I dunno... the _ultimate_ silver lining might have to involve a bit more for me... how about a midge bite that gave me the climbing ability of Adam Ondra, the sex appeal of Jonny Depp, the ageing process of Connor Macleod and the voice of Morgan Freeman.

Dave Cundy 07 May 2020
In reply to henwardian:

But, life being what it is, you'd also be blessed with an arse like an elephant..

Danm79 07 May 2020
In reply to Rob Parsons:

> I have often wondered about the possibility of midges getting viruses which they could pass on to humans. If that happened we would have a problem.

I can’t help but be reminded of a joke I heard years ago - you’ll have to forgive me folks but, “They’re saying you can get AIDS from mosquitoes now... Fair enough, I reckon you deserve to catch AIDS if you go round shagging mosquitos.”

Dave Todd 08 May 2020
In reply to henwardian:

> I dunno... the _ultimate_ silver lining might have to involve a bit more for me... how about a midge bite that gave me the climbing ability of Adam Ondra, the sex appeal of Jonny Depp, the ageing process of Connor Macleod and the voice of Morgan Freeman.

...careful, you might get the climbing ability of Johnny Depp and the sex appeal of Adam Ondra...

oldie 08 May 2020
In reply to Rob Parsons:

> Mosquitos were implicated in transmission of myxomatosis among rabbits in Australia. Don't know if this is still accepted as a theory. <

Edit after googling: 

https://theconversation.com/can-mosquitoes-spread-coronavirus-134898

"......But for a mosquito to become infected, it first needs to bite an infected animal, .....Mosquitoes can transmit a number of viruses, including dengue, yellow fever, chikungunya, Zika and Ross River virus. ...... But they can’t transmit many other viruses, including HIV and Ebola."

Apparently there is little or no evidence that that a mosquito is infected itself, but just that it is contaminated and passes on the disease.

Post edited at 10:03
Le Sapeur 08 May 2020
In reply to henwardian:

> First blood has been spilt on Skye.

I felt the first few on Wed evening. Not biting but out. Thurs evening was pretty awful. Time to dig out the Smidge.

However on the upside the swallows will have food. 

Rob Parsons 08 May 2020
In reply to oldie:

> Apparently there is little or no evidence that that a mosquito is infected itself, but just that it is contaminated and passes on the disease.

Thanks. I was really thinking of the midge really being a vector for a virus which is nasty to humans, rather than itself being 'infected' with that virus.

At least one precedent in mammals is the virus responsible for the 'Bluetongue' disease in sheep: that is transmitted by midges.

Post edited at 10:56
Roadrunner6 14 May 2020
In reply to Rob Parsons:

> I have often wondered about the possibility of midges getting viruses which they could pass on to humans. If that happened we would have a problem.

They don’t think that’s possible. Obviously with mosquitos world wide they’ve already looked at this and there’s no evidence so far. It’s just a different type of transmission

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...