UKC

Anyone hot in H-beam physics?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mr Lopez 26 Sep 2023

Ok, not a H-beam but a laminate composite, but the same physics apply.

If you were to have a third flange on a beam forming a slight arch, which is offset towards one of the 'sides', does it make a difference with regards stiffness and/or strength when loaded from above whether the 3rd flange is offset towards the top or the bottom?

Are the compressive loads on the beam the same top and bottom when shaped like an arch?

Pic for illustration https://i.imgur.com/ZPMYl9y.jpeg

a crap climber 26 Sep 2023
In reply to Mr Lopez:

If it was a straight beam supported at each end with the load in the middle, the top flange would be in compression and the bottom in tension, so where to place the third flange would depend on whether the composite material is stronger in tension or compression.

Not sure about this case as it's curved and I'm not quite following how it's supported and loaded

Suncream 26 Sep 2023
In reply to Mr Lopez:

Did anyone else expect this thread to be about cyclotrons?

OP Mr Lopez 26 Sep 2023
In reply to a crap climber:

Would have been simpler with a straight beam as the material performs better in compression, so would have been doubled up at the top. Is the fact it's arched that throws me off as well.

Post edited at 20:44
 a crap climber 26 Sep 2023
In reply to Mr Lopez:

> Would have been simpler with a straight beam as the material performs better in compression, so would have been doubled up at the top.

If it performs better in compression and it was a straight beam you'd be best doubling up at the bottom as the flange in tension is the weak link so to speak.

How are the ends fixed/supported? I'm assuming it's an arch between two points with the load applied centrally or evenly along the length? Can the ends spread apart as the load is applied, i.e. can the beam start to flatten out.

I'm not sure I can give an answer though, haven't done any structural calcs since my first year at university which was about 2005 so my memory is a bit hazy.

Post edited at 20:49
 Jimbo C 26 Sep 2023
In reply to Mr Lopez:

As bit more detail and context would be needed to assess it properly, but I'll assume the beam is arched so that it is loaded only in compression (like an arch) and will be well restrained at the ends. In that case, the failure mode would be buckling of the web. A third flange could be used to stiffen the web. I can't support this with calcs but it feels like placing the third flange centrally would be best. Better still would be to add several vertical plates perpendicular to the web, or a different shape like a rectangular section. 

Jamie Wakeham 26 Sep 2023
In reply to Mr Lopez:

I watched H-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate...

minimike 26 Sep 2023
In reply to Suncream:

No, that would be H+ beams. You can’t make cyclotrons with H beams.

Suncream 27 Sep 2023
In reply to minimike:

> No, that would be H+ beams. You can’t make cyclotrons with H beams.

H+ (i.e. a proton beam) is the 'default' but people also do H- beams. Which is how I read the title

mike123 27 Sep 2023
In reply to Suncream: are you saying there’s no need to be so negative ?

Deri Jones 27 Sep 2023
In reply to Mr Lopez:

Looks suspiciously like a deck beam on a boat? From the stuff I model up in steel/alu and the few bits I've ran simple FEA on, adding the extra material to thicken up the bottom flange and then add in tripping brackets along the side of the web to stop the flange from twisting out of plane is the standard answer. The knees at the corner are generally the highest stressed areas if you're having a leg on the arch to bring the load down to a foundation.

montyjohn 27 Sep 2023
In reply to Mr Lopez:

Most composites (what material is it?) perform better in tension. 

Whilst a straight beam would be in tension on the bottom flange, and arched unit would be in compression. I believe the bottom flange would be under more compression load than the top flange.

So since compression is the failure mode (ignoring torsion failure) your additional flange would be best placed where the compression is highest. Which is at the bottom [caveat].

[caveat, I haven't got any modelling software to hand and my civils degree didn't focus much on arches, I think compression will always be highest on the bottom flange of an arched I-beam when loaded from above]

wercat 27 Sep 2023
In reply to Mr Lopez:

I thought perhaps C-beams glitter .. ..

Post edited at 09:22
 jkarran 27 Sep 2023
In reply to Mr Lopez:

> If you were to have a third flange on a beam forming a slight arch, which is offset towards one of the 'sides', does it make a difference with regards stiffness and/or strength when loaded from above whether the 3rd flange is offset towards the top or the bottom?

Out of curiosity, What's the third flange actually doing? I guess you have a panel that's not stiff enough so you're adding a thin core and and a new skin?

> Are the compressive loads on the beam the same top and bottom when shaped like an arch?

I think that's going to depend how the load is applied and how the ends are constrained.

Simulate or prototype and test it if it matters.

jk

OP Mr Lopez 27 Sep 2023
In reply to a crap climber:

> If it performs better in compression and it was a straight beam you'd be best doubling up at the bottom as the flange in tension is the weak link so to speak.

That makes sense. I was thinking more on it of reducing the tension in the bottom by adding stiffness, rather than it beimg better used to reinforce the weakest point. Guess that's where we get into the stiffness vs strength 

> How are the ends fixed/supported? I'm assuming it's an arch between two points with the load applied centrally or evenly along the length? Can the ends spread apart as the load is applied, i.e. can the beam start to flatten out.

Loads applied both at points and everywhere as it'll ultimately be a roof, so possibly a person standing on it as well as snow 

> I'm not sure I can give an answer though, haven't done any structural calcs since my first year at university which was about 2005 so my memory is a bit hazy.

Thanks 

OP Mr Lopez 27 Sep 2023
In reply to jkarran:

> Out of curiosity, What's the third flange actually doing? I guess you have a panel that's not stiff enough so you're adding a thin core and and a new skin?

OK, to give a bit more general detail as there's a bunch of people asking.

Its and epoxy/fibreglas/foam core sandwich composite making the superstructure of a 12ft wide boat. The arched section makes the roof. 

The 3rd beam is due to this section needing a slightly thicker sandwich, so will add in a thinner layer of foam core so the end result is GRE>foam>gre(heavy in epoxy light on glass) >foam>gre

So with that being said, web twisting isn't an issue. It comes down purely to whether the extra layer of epoxy/glass is mor beneficial towards the top or the bottom.

Thanks all

jkarran 27 Sep 2023
In reply to Mr Lopez:

Instinctively I'd either keep the sandwich balanced or put a bit of extra glass in the top (greater ding and buckling resistance) and just bond the cores together with thickened epoxy, having a layer of glass in the core isn't doing much for you unless it's already there and you're just thickening an existing sandwich.

jk

Post edited at 13:59
OP Mr Lopez 27 Sep 2023
In reply to jkarran:

Need to bulk it up by 7mm, and the extra core foam is 5mm. I want the core to be aligned up top to prevent stress points as the thicker core does not end at a fillet,  so can't bulk it up there. At the bottom those extra 2 mm might cause bubbles or delmination due to sain (using slow hardener), so the obvious place to bulk up is at the joint of the cores (~0.5mm thikened exposy in each side and a 450gsm biaxial lay up).

I'm halfway through doing ias we speak anyway. It's going up top 'just because'. Haha

OP Mr Lopez 27 Sep 2023
In reply to Mr Lopez:

>  due to sain

* due to sagging

Toerag 27 Sep 2023
In reply to Mr Lopez:

Beam stiffness is the cube of the depth or something like that isn't it? So if you have the choice you'd want to make things deeper.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...