UKC

Asteroid 101955 Bennu

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 skog 24 May 2019

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap190524.html

I'm absolutely blown away by today's Astronomy Picture of the Day - it's amazing the sorts of images we're able to get now.

This one looks almost as if it could be on the Black Cuillin somewhere (and with the asteroid having only about half a kilometre diameter, I should be able to push my grade a bit, even on that crumbly rock!)

In reply to skog:

When I saw this thread title I did wonder if an asteroid was on a collision course with Earth and was pleasantly worried about something non political for a change! At least everyone would be united about an extinction event being bad.

Great photograph.

ThunderCat 24 May 2019
In reply to skog:

Wow.  In my head, I've always imagined asteroids as being completely smooth.  Lots of ridges and dips and stuff...but no boulders littering the surface.

Probably influenced by the Millennium Falcon flying through asteroid fields rather than reality I admit...

ThunderCat 24 May 2019
In reply to Phantom Disliker:

> When I saw this thread title I did wonder if an asteroid was on a collision course with Earth and was pleasantly worried about something non political for a change! At least everyone would be united about an extinction event being bad.

> Great photograph.

I thought exactly the same thing...

OP skog 24 May 2019
In reply to ThunderCat:

It certainly gives pause for thought regarding how we might go about deflecting such an asteroid if it was on collision course with Earth - you probably can't push it very hard without it falling apart, and I suspect that being hit by sixty million tons of rubble isn't much better than being hit by sixty million tons of solid rock.

wercat 24 May 2019
In reply to skog:

looks suspiciously like a bit of Sgurr Dearg!

cb294 24 May 2019
In reply to ThunderCat:

> Probably influenced by the Millennium Falcon flying through asteroid fields rather than reality I admit...

The standard pop science illustrations/animations of the asteroid belt (or Kuiper belt  / Oort cloud) must be among the most consistently misleading science illustrations ever: You typically see the sun in the distance, illuminating a great rubble field with lots of floating stuff. What you should actually see is pretty much nothing. 

CB

OP skog 24 May 2019
In reply to cb294:

On a related note, here's a scale diagram of the Solar System, with our moon at one pixel:

http://joshworth.com/dev/pixelspace/pixelspace_solarsystem.html

cb294 24 May 2019
In reply to skog:

Excellent!

CB

Tyler 24 May 2019
In reply to Phantom Disliker:

> At least everyone would be united about an extinction event being bad.

Snowflake!

Tyler 24 May 2019
In reply to cb294:

Why doesn't all the rubble fall off? Does something that small have a gravitational pull?

Carless 24 May 2019
In reply to skog:

That is very fine. I particularly like the fact that I've just spent over 10 minutes scrolling a mostly black screen

cb294 24 May 2019
In reply to Tyler:

Enough at least.

CB

In reply to skog:

Made it as far as Jupiter before concluding that space is in the main pretty boring

Clarence 24 May 2019
In reply to skog:

> I suspect that being hit by sixty million tons of rubble isn't much better than being hit by sixty million tons of solid rock.

Depends on the size of the individual chunks and how much space is in between. If you can get it down to a cloud of bits it will burn off to nothing in the atmosphere, the bigger the chunk the more survives to hit the ground. On the other hand if the bits are very small and there are a lot of them they can cause global shadowing by floating about up there and blocking the sun, which means we can all drive cars for a bit longer. So swings and roundabouts.

In reply to skog:

The nineties called; they want their website back...

Great photo, though. From just 3.4 km away! Looks like a bit of a choss-pile...

HakanT 24 May 2019
In reply to skog:

“the OSIRIS-REx mission plans a TAG (Touch-and-Go) maneuver for July 2020 to sample Bennu's rugged surface, returning the sample to planet Earth in September 2023.”

We know how that movie plot develops...

wercat 24 May 2019
In reply to HakanT:

a fifty year old film? The Andromeda Strain?

or even The Quatermass Experiment?

HakanT 24 May 2019
In reply to wercat:

Life, Species, The Astronaut’s Wife, Venom...

OP skog 24 May 2019
In reply to skog:

I've just noticed that the scale solar system page has a button at the bottom right that sets it scrolling at light speed.

You can also change the units from km to a variety of others, such as Great Walls of China, or blue whales.

Post edited at 21:11
 Luke90 24 May 2019
In reply to Tyler:

According to Google, Bennu's gravitational field at the surface is about 100,000 times weaker than Earth's. On the other hand, there wouldn't really be any other force on the rocks to encourage them to leave the surface so it might not take much to hold them together.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...