UKC

Autumn colours

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lankyman 25 Oct 2023

Went to Grizedale Forest last weekend hoping to see some nice leaf colours. I thought either a lot of deciduous trees had been stripped by the wind or weren't particularly colourful. The beeches were still quite green. Maybe we were too early? Still, a nice place for a walk and look out for the sculptures.

graeme jackson 25 Oct 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

Dawyck Botanic garden was pretty much the same on Sunday.  Acers and what-not were starting to turn but probably another week or two before the place is at it's full autumn glory 

Pedro50 25 Oct 2023
In reply to graeme jackson:

Acer in my back yard.

Bottom Clinger 25 Oct 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

So far, the Fall colours seem below average. Good Fall colours need (googled):

moist early-to-mid growing season

dry late summer and early fall

cool nights (but not in the frost/ freeze range)

warm days filled with lots of sunshine

We’ve not ticked many of the above, so reckon it will be a poor show this year. 

Fat Bumbly2 25 Oct 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

In Argyll - beeches and oaks are coming on nicely but many trees have been stripped already.

Wimlands 25 Oct 2023
In reply to Fat Bumbly2:

That was my impression…some of the “early” trees have already gone past their peak ( some turkey oaks in our local park) whilst others are just getting going.

OP Lankyman 25 Oct 2023
In reply to Pedro50:

> Acer in my back yard.

Nice. There's a stagshorn sumac (I think) in Warton where I used to live that goes a stunning luminous yellow gold. Must go back and have a look. I try and make a point of going to see certain trees in autumn - aspens can be excellent.

Whoopdeedoo 25 Oct 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

I was in Grizedale today and the colours were beautiful. Orange and brown, lots of leaves on the ground. We parked at Blind lane and stayed on the east side of Satterthwaite

OP Lankyman 25 Oct 2023
In reply to Whoopdeedoo:

We began at Rusland church and headed north through the woods then swung through Satterthwaite and back by Force Forge. It's a lovely area to explore. Arthur Ransom and wife are buried at the church and it's always surprised me how small and unimportant their headstone seems. I've been several times but only once seen anything left there - a small wreath woven out of twigs.

girlymonkey 25 Oct 2023
In reply to Pedro50:

This is our first autumn in our house, and through the spring and summer I hadn't even clocked that there was an Acer in the garden (it is a bit overgrown). But in the last few weeks it has become stunning. It's quite big, and we now have an amazing orange/ red orb shaped Acer which then cascades down a wall on the far side! Loving it!

Whoopdeedoo 25 Oct 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

That’s really interesting! I’ve walked through Rusland many times, I will have to visit the graveyard.

Ridge 25 Oct 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

Needs a really good frost to bring out the colours.

OP Lankyman 26 Oct 2023
In reply to Whoopdeedoo:

> That’s really interesting! I’ve walked through Rusland many times, I will have to visit the graveyard.

If you want to find the Ransome grave it's on the south side of the church by the wall.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...