UKC

Bird ID II

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 McHeath 09 Jun 2024

The original thread’s been archived:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/off_belay/bird_id-771327

but I finally cracked it after several unsuccessful visits back to the site - it‘s a Lesser Whitethroat, confirmed both by a much clearer view and the Merlin app. The white patches which I thought I’d seen must have been some trick of the light. Really chuffed at this; they‘re pretty uncommon around Berlin, and I hadn’t seen or heard one yet this year. 

Michael Hood 09 Jun 2024
In reply to McHeath:

Well done, I've yet to see a Lesser Whitethroat since restarting "serious" birdwatching 3 years ago (seen previously in my youth) although I have heard one which stayed obstinately out of sight.

magma 10 Jun 2024
In reply to McHeath:

did you hear it sing? could it have been a common whitethroat (reminds me of part of a skylark song)?

youtube.com/watch?v=5fApzVHlBi8&

Post edited at 14:07
OP McHeath 10 Jun 2024
In reply to magma:

Yes, definitely a Lesser.

Bottom Clinger 10 Jun 2024
In reply to McHeath:

Nice one. Quite a distinctive song. 

Post edited at 20:28
 mbh 10 Jun 2024
In reply to McHeath:

Has anyone come across the Merlin Bird ID app from Cornell Lab? It’s amazing. I’ve only used it for IDing bird song while wondering along the a stretch of the Cornwall coast path this weekend, and found it that really opened my ears to what I am hearing. Heard a curlew!

https://merlin.allaboutbirds.org

OP McHeath 10 Jun 2024
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

> Nice one. Quite a distinctive song. 

I hadn´t heard one for 3 years, and that was a few hundred km further south where they were all over the place and had a great amount of variation in their songs. So for me: not so distinctive!

OP McHeath 10 Jun 2024
In reply to mbh:

You have to be a bit careful with it if you don´t see the bird to confirm. I´ve even had a mallard identified by the app as a rook. Some of the warblers are great imitators; I was watching an icterine warbler sing last week and had the app running; it gave 4 IDs within 10 seconds of spotted flycatcher, tree pipit, icterine warbler and finally kestrel!

mbh 11 Jun 2024
In reply to McHeath:

>You have to be a bit careful with it if you don´t see the bird to confirm.

No doubt (and now I see that I should have read your first post!) but it has been a revelation to me with my very low base of bird knowledge and so far, where I have been able to confirm its claims, it has been right. I only think of it as making suggestions based on the recording but also (I guess, I haven't yet read much on it) on where I am, what time of day and year it is, what else I have heard etc, matched against some humungous database somewhere. 

OP McHeath 11 Jun 2024
In reply to mbh:

Don´t get me wrong, it´s right 99% of the time, and is a very useful tool! It´s connected to the database at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology, which I believe is the largest of its kind in the world. It´s also being constantly updated by an army of 5,000 co-workers worldwide; you can read a bit about it here:

https://merlin.allaboutbirds.org/the-story/

Yes, your geographical location is very important, but if you have location allowed turned on that´s automatic.

Kean 11 Jun 2024
In reply to McHeath:

I've been using the Merlin app for a couple of weeks now...agreed it's pretty amazing. And does seem to be incredibly accurate and fast. Haven't really had the chance to test it on birds I don't know, but yesterday I tried in the local wood. There was a cacophony of birdsong and it identified 5 birds in 2 seconds flat. It then took me another 10 seconds or so to individually ID the list it had thrown up and it was spot on. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...