UKC

British-Irish Dialect Quiz

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Johnson 16 Feb 2019

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/02/15/upshot/british-irish-dialect...

25 questions and it got my place of birth dead right. Would be interesting to know how well it works for others.

ianstevens 16 Feb 2019
In reply to Andy Johnson:

Same here - spot on, and I haven’t lived there in 9 years. Interesting how the vernacular sticks.

OP Andy Johnson 16 Feb 2019
In reply to ianstevens:

> Same here - spot on, and I haven’t lived there in 9 years. Interesting how the vernacular sticks

I haven't lived there for over thirty years!

FactorXXX 16 Feb 2019

Daps and Twp gave it away too easily...

EarlyBird 16 Feb 2019

Pretty close - East Midlander which it got, but I could equally be form Kent and Slough, Reading area.

Mike-W-99 16 Feb 2019

My map was spot on. 2 hotspots where I grew up and where i live now.

Welsh Kate 17 Feb 2019

Mine had the broad area where I grew up right, plus another hot spot from where my mum was from - guess I've picked up some local expressions from her!

bouldery bits 17 Feb 2019

Bang on.

Spot on here too.

I hadn't realised that using "Tip" as the name of the Tag/It etc game was so localised - pretty much just Colwyn Bay according to their map. 

MonkeyPuzzle 17 Feb 2019

Weirdly showed Yorkshire, where my grandad was from rather than Shropshire where I'm from!

Yes, worked for me. I think it was ‘ned’ that gave the game away, I think that’s pretty much only used in and around Glasgow 

Tom Valentine 17 Feb 2019

Worked well for birthplace and formative years. Will now do it again from  South Yorkshire, where people think that muffins are cakes with blueberries stuck in them....

In reply to Tom Valentine:

For some reason I was not offered the extended version on my second go. Pity.

DerwentDiluted 17 Feb 2019

Only one question was neccessary for this son of Sheff.

How do you pronounce Worcestershire Sauce?

Wor-sester-shire

Wustershir

'Endos

Post edited at 11:11
 nathan79 17 Feb 2019

Got me spot on. A fun wee quiz.

The bit that interested me most was the variety of names for tig!

Blue Straggler 17 Feb 2019

Pretty good, it got the nearest major town , even though i don’t pronounce several things the way I “should” nor use certain words that I know are common up there

alan moore 17 Feb 2019

It worked for I.

After 25 questions it had me as broadly from north west England.  After the full 90-odd questions it had me from southern Lancashire (the old county boundary, not the new).

As I was born in St Helens but have lived in south west England for a total of ten years or so out of my 55, and have mixed with people from all over the place, that's not a bad guess.  You can tell a lot about someone if they ask you for a barmcake.

T.

BnB 17 Feb 2019
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

> After 25 questions it had me as broadly from north west England.  After the full 90-odd questions it had me from southern Lancashire (the old county boundary, not the new).

> As I was born in St Helens but have lived in south west England for a total of ten years or so out of my 55, and have mixed with people from all over the place, that's not a bad guess.  You can tell a lot about someone if they ask you for a barmcake.

> T.

Could have just skipped to “how do you say bun/breadcake/bap/barm?” and saved all the other questions.

Post edited at 16:21
In reply to BnB:

Or asked what you'd expect to get if you asked someone in a chippy for a split.

T.

Ardo 17 Feb 2019

Twag, croggie, bap and sannies seem to have given the game away and it got me hometown spot on.

yeti 17 Feb 2019

Spot on with Sheffield, but I was surprised with a possible Scarborough

OP Andy Johnson 17 Feb 2019
In reply to Ardo:

> Twag, croggie, bap and sannies seem to have given the game away and it got me hometown spot on.

Hull, by any chance? Because I'm from there and those were all words I'd use.

I didn't see any soap on a rope questions

John Ww 17 Feb 2019

Kets, sannies and spelks sorted mine out

JamButty 18 Feb 2019

pretty good,  Manchester area for me,  but a small bit of Brum which is wrong,  but good fun,  cheers for sharing

krikoman 18 Feb 2019

Put me as generally northern England (Carlisle to Middlesborough), but some of the answers were vary particular "nicked off"; to go absent from school is very specific according to the results at the end.

Good shout though

andyd1970 18 Feb 2019

Got me pretty much bang on the money 

girlymonkey 18 Feb 2019

Interestingly I was entirely central Scotland (my birth place and to the age of 9, and my current residence). Nothing at all in England despite 7 years as a child /teenager in Devon and university in Sheffield. I'm surprised how fixed my dialect is in Scotland!

Flinticus 18 Feb 2019

Got me on the full 90. At 25 there was a broad region covering much of south and central Ireland.

'Head over heels' for somersault was a give away.

Dr.S at work 18 Feb 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

Stuck me in the north east of England - never lived there but my family are all from Middlesbrough - so I guess some of the words I use must come from there. 

Martin Hore 19 Feb 2019
In reply to nathan79:

> Got me spot on. A fun wee quiz.

> The bit that interested me most was the variety of names for tig!

For what????

It located me in Greater London but not to South-East London specifically.

Martin

Ardo 19 Feb 2019

Kingston upon Hull, don't you know.

Flinticus 19 Feb 2019
In reply to nathan79:

Are you from Ireland?

I called it 'tig' as well

auld al 20 Feb 2019

Got me spot on in Northern Ireland 

Tony the Blade 20 Feb 2019

Hull isn't a place, it's a river. Kingston is the City, and it's on the river Hull... Kingston Upon Hull.

The only accent that contains... Furn curl (phone call), drar wart warn* (dry white wine) and Anlaby Rurd (Road)

*Each word with a long A

Post edited at 06:27
OP Andy Johnson 20 Feb 2019
In reply to Tony the Blade:

> Hull isn't a place, it's a river. Kingston is the City, and it's on the river Hull... Kingston Upon Hull.

Yeah. I lived there for the first eighteen years of my life, so I'm well aware that nobody actually calls it Kingston Upon Hull. Except maybe people from Cottingham.

> The only accent that contains... Furn curl (phone call), drar wart warn* (dry white wine) and Anlaby Rurd (Road)

> *Each word with a long A

All of this is true.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...