UKC

Brutal cinematic dust-ups

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kenny 05 Sep 2005
Roll up, roll up. Lord Kenny has gone a bit pugilistic is wondering what the most brutal one-on-one scraps are that you've seen in films. I'm feeling that most martial arts are exempt cos they're often graceful and balletic and so precisely choregraphed (none for the worse for that), but perhaps someone can educate me. I'm also shying away from sporting fights i.e. good boxing scenes.

I'm thinking more of dirty, wince-inducing stuff like:
Ed Harris and Michael Biehn in The Abyss (capped off with the greatest sucker-punch in all cinematic history courtesy of Leo Burmester)
Lee Marvin and Ernest Borgnine in Emperor of the North
Sean Connery and Robert Shaw in From Russia With Love
Charles Bronson's last two fights in Hard Times (aka The Streetfighter)

Breaking my own rule - the final match in The California Dolls (aka All The Marbles - lovely and neglected comedy about a female tag-team wrestling duo and their shifty manager played by Peter Falk. Yes they are fit in an early-1980s way. Especially Vicki Frederick. Absolute catfight, lasts about 30 minutes - the ultimate guilty pleasure?)

Can't remember if there's anything in Runaway Train, the whole film's pretty brutal really.

Possibly doesn't count as they are robots so it doesn't really matter, but Arnie and Kristanna Loken slugging it out in Terminator 3 was pretty eye-popping.

I'm told Charlton Heston and Gregory Peck slug it out amazingly in The Big Country but I haven't seen it.
Peck and Mitchum in the original Cape Fear bring it on in fine style though.
Must be a load more good ones in Westerns (though massive bar room brawls don't count, I just want one-on-ones)
er
David Carradine vs James Remar in The Long Riders (the stocking knife-fight)

All inspired by watching The Cave which stars Cole Hauser, I dimly recall he had a pretty good scrap with Mr Potato Head aka Vin Diesel in the otherwise appalling Pitch Black

I'll leave it there. What else ya got?
 marie 05 Sep 2005
In reply to Kenny:

Woody and Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story
OP Kenny 05 Sep 2005
In reply to Kenny:

Funnily enough I KNEW there'd be a cartoon one
I was pretty sure it would be an early response.
I thought it might be 'Toy Story'

And I knew for sure it'd be a dappy woman who posted
 marie 05 Sep 2005
In reply to Kenny: lol

I aim to please

or prove you right...

one of the two anyhow
 smithy 05 Sep 2005
In reply to Kenny:

How about the one at the begining of hot shot's part deux??

marie 05 Sep 2005
In reply to marie: or maybe both...
 Tiggs 05 Sep 2005
In reply to Kenny: The big fight in John Wayne's 'McClintock'. I don't like brutal fights.
 Padraig 05 Sep 2005
In reply to Kenny:
No Contest!
John Wayne & Victor(?) McLaghlan in The Quiet Man!
Awesome!
P
mac_climb 05 Sep 2005
In reply to smithy: did you watch that on sky movies today, or just remeber
OP Kenny 05 Sep 2005
In reply to Kenny:

Not seen much of John wayne's stuff actually, there's something about him that I don't like. Irrational I know. Sure he's had some scraps though!

Going off-topic a bit, some somewhat more "one-sided" ones I just thought of might be:
Steve Buscemi getting kicked across the warehouse floor by Harvey Keitel in Reservoir Dogs - short but effective
Steve Buscemi (poor lad!) getting beaten up by Shep the Indian in Fargo (coitus interruptus as well, that's really adding insult to injury)
Keeping it Coen Bros - Gabriel Byrne receiving punch after punch after punch from Albert Finney in Miller's Crossing and not fighting back (but fretting about his hat!)
 smithy 05 Sep 2005
In reply to mac_climb:

I remembered it from ages ago, had better things to do today, ironing!!
 Steve Parker 05 Sep 2005
In reply to Kenny:

Not quite a dust-up, but John Goodman running down a burning corridor with a shotgun shouting 'Life of the mind? I will show you the f*cking life of the mind!' has to rank high! Since you're into the Coens.

Later bit in Miller's Crossing as well, where Albert Finney escapes from the bedroom assassins and tommy guns the shit outta the hood at the window, all to the accompaniment of Danny Boy.

Flames, carnage and poignant, retro-Celtic cigar-smoking! Is there anything better in life?
 Duncan Bourne 05 Sep 2005
In reply to Kenny:
Opening fight in Kill Bill
Richard Harris and Gene Hackman in The Unforgiven
Wot no Raging Bull?
and incidently I loved Pitch Black
OP Kenny 05 Sep 2005
In reply to Duncan Bourne:

> Wot no Raging Bull?

"I'm also shying away from sporting fights i.e. good boxing scenes. "

Or do you mean the non-boxing scenes? It's been a really long time since I saw it, all I can visualise is DeNiro getting Pesci to punch him, and various wife-beating scenes which is not what I was angling for here AT ALL...but is there more?
Good call on Thurman v Fox.

OP Kenny 05 Sep 2005
In reply to Steve Parker:

well all of Miller's Crossing is great, and yes the "Danny Boy" sequence is one of the greatest things ever committed to celluloid (you forgot to mention the slippers though, it's the slippers that REALLY make the scene) but it too is not a one-on-one dust-up now is it?! Expected better from you
mac_climb 05 Sep 2005
In reply to Kenny: How could you forget the fight at the end of LETHAL WEAPON 1, it is so awesome, Riggs and that evil guy, i love that fight its so good
OP Kenny 05 Sep 2005
In reply to mac_climb:

I don't know. I'm sure it's really good but I actually can't picture it. I remember him escaping from a shower with some sponges, and danny glover's desert stakeout being foiled, but i can't remember the end! crazy. Riggs' scrap with the ginger South African dude at the end of Lethal Weapon 2 was pretty good though. keeping it Gibson, the cage fight with the giant in Mad Max 3: Beyond Thunderdome was a little disappointing
 smithy 05 Sep 2005
In reply to Kenny:

You can't forget that first fight Brad pitt and the other guy have in Fight Club.

A guy beating himself up!!
brian crawford 06 Sep 2005
In reply to Kenny:

>I'm told Charlton Heston and Gregory Peck slug it out amazingly in The Big >Country but I haven't seen it.

Great film and fight sequence, not very similar to other film dust ups.

Steve Parker 06 Sep 2005
In reply to Kenny:

How about Nicholas Cage beating the crap outta someone on the rail station steps at the start of 'Wild at Heart'? Got to be one of the most brutal. Or Dennis Hopper getting down with Ethan's wife in Blood Simple, culminating in the knife thru the hand bit? Or are blades not permitted in this dust-up?

In fact, one of the most graphic dust-ups (definition?) has to be when Edward Norton makes the black guy lie down with his teeth around the kerbstone, and then stamps on the back of his head in American History X. Doesn't get any more dust-up or disturbing and sick than that. Freaked me out, that one. Off to make chicken soup and do throat singing to calm down.

mac_climb 06 Sep 2005
In reply to Steve Parker: yeah that is f*cking sick in American history X
OP Kenny 06 Sep 2005
In reply to Kenny:

that American History X didn't seem as brutal to me as I'd been led to believe, actually. nasty stuff yes, but I didn't wince. Whole film massively disappointing actually. Ed Norton on the receiving end of Barry Pepper and not fighting back at the end of The 25th Hour, that was a wincer.

Nicolas cage at the start of Wild At Heart, yes that was bad but a bit one-sided, did he get a scratch on him?

Knives allowed, aye. Anything but guns, shall we say. Look, I cited The Abyss quite early on - doesn't Ed smack Michael several times with a massive brass rod, before getting chains wrapped round his neck and all that?!
 Steve Parker 06 Sep 2005
In reply to Kenny:

Actually, my fave ever Coen Bros dust-up is when Barton Fink comes down in the lift and says to the lift-operator, 'You ever read the bible, Ed?' Lift-guy says, 'Yeah, I guess so. I heard of it anyway!' Unrivalled genius!

Or is that not a dust-up either? Shit, I just don't know what a dust-up is!
simmo 06 Sep 2005
In reply to Kenny:

good evening ken

no jean claude

i saw this program about him on channel 5

one of his many vandamisms

'not only do you have to have the belief, you have to believe the belief'
Chris Georg 06 Sep 2005
In reply to Kenny: cant believe no one has mentioned the jet lee film, fist of legend.

the school room scene at the beginning, snapping bones crunching punches. the best kung foo scenes since Bruce

a modern classic.
OP Kenny 06 Sep 2005
In reply to simmo:

he should get together with Eric Cantona.

he probably has done in some dodgy "fan fiction" by some deranged laydee

Parky's sarky.
I've heard that Powers Boothe has a good scrap with Nick Nolte in Extreme prejudice; again not seen it. I wouldn't mess with Boothe though.

Surprised nobody's mentioned Blade Runner (mind you at least one, if not both, of the participants is a robot)
No not the climax. I mean Harrison Ford and Daryl Hannah. Apparently loads was cut out too, dunno if was ever restored. not in my version of Director's Cut.

And linking tenuously from Hannah to Tarantino (with a Scott link):

Patricia Arquette and James Gandolfini in True Romance. That is sicker than the kerb scene in American History X. The thought of Tarantino sitting and writing that, is a little disconcerting. Actually I think a lot was cut for the original release - I have the original script and he has her taking several roundhouse kicks to the mouth, and as i recall, we do seem to "miss a bit" cos we cut away after the "spin around" then back, and suddenly she's very bloody.

Oh - Richard Gere getting a beating at the hands (and feet) of Louis Gossett Jr. in An Officer and A Gentleman, that's a good one
 Steve Parker 06 Sep 2005
In reply to Kenny:

Whadthey do tya as a child to make ya so bloodthirsty and ferocious then, Kenny? Faster Pussycat, KILL KILL!
In reply to Kenny:

What about the beating dished out by Billy (Brad Davis) in Midnight Express is pretty brutal.
 Stevie A 06 Sep 2005
Grosse Pointe Blank - John Cusack v Benny (the Jet) Urquidez. Top use of a free pen!
 SFM 06 Sep 2005
In reply to Kenny:

Ray liota in goodfellas, admittedly he uses the butt of a pistol but pretty graphic and brutal nontheless. And how could any of us forget Vinny in Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels!!
andrew whincup 06 Sep 2005
In reply to Kenny:

For one sided fights (I know it's a boxing one, but let me have it), you have to go a long way to beat the beating Paul Newman took in Cool Hand Luke. He just stands there and takes it until he falls over. And then he gets up and takes it again. And again. And Again.

Andy
djviper 06 Sep 2005
In reply to Kenny: romper stomper, the ted bundy film, the football factory oh and the devils rejects has some brutal bits in
 glyn28 06 Sep 2005
In reply to Kenny: No one mentioning the Rocky pics?
OP Kenny 06 Sep 2005
In reply to glyn28:
> (In reply to Kenny) No one mentioning the Rocky pics?

sigh ( a patient and friendly sigh, mind!)

from the OP
"I'm also shying away from sporting fights i.e. good boxing scenes. "

Thought I might let you have the pasting that Stallone gets from Hulk Hogan in Rocky III
Actually Mr T is a bit of a bruiser in Rocky III. Shame that Stallone punches like those old spring-loaded He-Man toys.
Any decent bare-knuckle stuff in Rocky V, I've not seen it, I heard that he's back down to street-fighting in that?
I forget if the first street fighting scenes in the first Rocky are any good - remind me.

Cú Chullain 06 Sep 2005
In reply to Kenny:

Saving Private Ryan

The fight to the death scene between Private Millesh and the German in during the defence of the bridge at the end of the film. Dirty street fighting including biting and gouging. Private Upham is outside the room hearing the fight but frozen with fear, unable to help his comrade. The German finally overpowers Millesh and pins him down. Millesh realising his strength is sapping and the fight is lost starts pleading for his life but the German shows no mercy and slowing forces a bayonet into Millesh's chest killing him......nasty scene.
 glyn28 06 Sep 2005
In reply to Kenny: Sorry Kenny - I was being sarcastic!
 Jon Jones 06 Sep 2005
In reply to glyn28:

the bloke in Fight Club fighting himself in his bosses office
 glyn28 06 Sep 2005
In reply to Kenny: How about Platoon. They find a guy tied to a post and garotted - you have to think of how much of a fight he put up.
housewives choice 06 Sep 2005
In reply to Kenny: Ethan Hawke in Training day taking on the two crims attacking a school girl was pretty realistic.

Most of the scrapping in the Shield looks good.
 glyn28 06 Sep 2005
In reply to Jon Jones: or when he breaks up the face of the 'good looking' guy
 Cú Chullain 06 Sep 2005
In reply to housewives choice:

The Shield is one of the best things on TV. Awesome show. We need more Vic Mackays on the streets of London.
 Fidget 06 Sep 2005
In reply to Kenny:

The fights in Sin City are quite gruesome...
Pan Ron 06 Sep 2005
In reply to Kenny:
Not one one one, so I suppose it doesn't apply, but "Oldboy".
OP Kenny 06 Sep 2005
In reply to David Martin:

Not seen Oldboy but certainly heard that it's strong stuff.

cider_nut which specific fights in Sin City? it's so stylised and comic-book-like that I didn't feel it compares to the others mentioned throughout this thread, but do remind me...I did think of it last night but ultimately couldn't remember much beyond Clive Owen flushing the toilet on Benicio del Toro's head.
Speaking of Benicio, he has his moments with Tommy Lee Jones in The Hunted
Rhoddy Stewart 06 Sep 2005
In reply to Kenny: Most of "Once were Warriors" pretty graphic film throughout
Tall Jon 06 Sep 2005
In reply to Kenny:

Not really a fight but rather brutal: "Audition" in which the young lady remaoves the elder chap's foot with a cheesewire after paralysing him with drugs. It is quite disturbing.
Rothermere 06 Sep 2005
In reply to Kenny:

Any of the fight scenes in Once Were Warriors

And the scrap with the German in Bourne Supremacy is quite cool.

James
Goatz 06 Sep 2005
In reply to Kenny:

how about Scum ?

"wheres your tool ?"

"what tool ?"

"THIS F**KING TOOL!!!"

G

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...