UKC

Calling people he/she after a sex change.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sharp 24 Mar 2013
Following on from "Daily Mail feeding frenzy...", why do some people find it so difficult to refer to someone by their chosen title after a sex change (you know who you are from that post).

If someone has a sex change and wants to be designated She afterwards it seems incredibly pointless and juvenile to insist on referring to that person as He/Him/His, especially after they've died. I mean, what's the purpose? To prove a point? To be deliberately insulting? Some sort of misguided quest for biological truth?

As far as I'm concerned if someone wants to have a sex change I have no opinion on it at all, it's no different than someone wanting to dye their hair or have non-gender changing surgery. At the end of the day it doesn't affect me or my life, yet there's something about sex changes that makes otherwise normal people feel the need to get involved as if they're scared it's infectious.
 Steve John B 24 Mar 2013
In reply to Sharp: I think calling them a he/she is terribly insulting, it's up there with shemale and ladyboy. Why would you do that?
Moggsy 24 Mar 2013
In reply to Sharp: yes, this s*** is what the Internet was made for?! Who cares
 JoshOvki 24 Mar 2013
In reply to Moggsy:

Transgender people and their friends & family care?
 stewieatb 24 Mar 2013
In reply to Sharp:

Ben

Sex and gender are different ideas; sex is biological, gender is a social concept. We generally align male sex with being a man and female sex with being a woman, but there is no intrinsic link. What Lucy Meadows went through is known as "gender transition", a term which RL took offense to in his article with such disparaging comments as "the word of the day is 'transitioning'".

Gender transition is a difficult decision for anyone to make, at any time of their life. Living in a body and a gender role you're uncomfortable with is horrible, but the social stigma associated with a transition makes it a pretty awful decision to have to make. Many choose to "start a new life" when they transition. For Lucy to transition in adulthood, in a job where it would draw a lot of attention, is incredibly brave, and the support from her school was clearly fantastic.

The response from RL and the DM is one of the worst acts of bigotry and hatred I've seen in the mainstream press for some time. There is no reason other than bigotry for RL or anyone on this forum to insist on calling a dead woman "he".
 Jon Stewart 24 Mar 2013
In reply to stewieatb:
> (In reply to Ben Sharp)
>
> Ben
>
> Sex and gender are different ideas; sex is biological, gender is a social concept. We generally align male sex with being a man and female sex with being a woman, but there is no intrinsic link.

I think that's going a bit far. I know some people think that everything's a social construct, and it's a nice view on which to predicate lots of liberal politics, but a bit of serious thought shows it to be untrue.

I'd recommend reading some Stephen Pinker (The Blank Slate particularly) if you're interested in what human nature is as opposed to social conditioning.
 Robert Durran 24 Mar 2013
In reply to stewieatb:
> Sex and gender are different ideas; sex is biological, gender is a social concept.

Really? I thought sex was more about the body but gender more about the brain - ie how it has been wired by hormones and so on. Both biological of course. Transgender people are born with mismatching sex and gender. Not really anything to do with social concepts or constructs. As Jon says, read Steven Pinker.
 Deri Jones 24 Mar 2013
In reply to stewieatb: Good post, "Conundrum" by Jan Morris is a good read on this subject - following her from being a bloke at the tail end of the empire (Army, reporter in the Suez war, reporting on the first ascent of Everest, fathering 4 kids, travelling everywhere) through to having the gender op in a clinic in Morocco. Fascinating and incredibly brave.
As someone on the other thread said though, *uckheads like Richard Littlejohn and his ilk only have a platform because we buy or click on their output.
In reply to stewieatb:
> (In reply to Ben Sharp)

> The response from RL and the DM is one of the worst acts of bigotry and hatred I've seen in the mainstream press for some time.

Don't read much do you?

> There is no reason other than bigotry for RL or anyone on this forum to insist on calling a dead woman "he".

He wasn't a woman, he was beginning to make the change. Wearing make up and woman's clothes doesn't make you a woman.

joeldering 25 Mar 2013
In reply to stroppygob:
> Wearing make up and woman's clothes doesn't make you a woman.
But identifying as a woman, as she did, does.

That you deliberately use the wrong pronoun is an incredibly juvenile and insensitive thing to do.
In reply to joel182:
> (In reply to stroppygob)
> [...]
> But identifying as a woman, as she did, does.
>
> That you deliberately use the wrong pronoun is an incredibly juvenile and insensitive thing to do.

Well as far as I am concerned, until a person has had a sex change operation they remain their biological gender.

But you do highlight something that has been predominant throughout this debate, the tendency of those who are claiming some sort of victimisation or rights for Nathan to think that their way of perceiving the world is more morally right on no more grounds than; "I feel it may hurt someone if others have different ways of viewing and thinking about this issue, and therefore that makes them a bad person."

It doesn't cut the mustard I'm afraid, you'll have to learn that people do not have to think the same ways as you, and people with different views can be just as moral as those playing victims.

Dan_S 25 Mar 2013
In reply to Sharp:
> why do some people find it so difficult to refer to someone by their chosen title after a sex change (you know who you are from that post).

Because people are afraid of things they don't understand, and for some people the manifestation of that fear is to be insulting and offensive.

> If someone has a sex change and wants to be designated She afterwards it seems incredibly pointless and juvenile to insist on referring to that person as He/Him/His, especially after they've died. I mean, what's the purpose? To prove a point? To be deliberately insulting? Some sort of misguided quest for biological truth?

In the same way that people justify being racist along lines of intellegance and other races not having a soul, people justify acting on their fears by being offensive to trans people because they seem them as freakish and abnormal.

It's all rather sad really, it's an old fashioned, and outdated way of thinking and acting, and frankly, in this day and age, people should know better. But, like the slow but steady progress that homosexuals are making in society against those who see them as abhorrent, to be accepted as equals I hope that one day, trans people get the same acceptance and equal standing that they deserve.

OP Sharp 25 Mar 2013
In reply to stroppygob:
This isn't the first time someone's committed suicide during a gender transition and no doubt it wont be the last. Clearly it's a difficult thing to go through, it seems like a small sacrifice for you to make to call someone "she" to prevent causing someone pain. Sounds like you're the one inflicting your views on others, not the other way around.

You aren't standing up for any moral principles here by refusing to use the word "she". If it is so difficult for you then you could have used "the person/they/their...etc." You deliberately chose to use the word "he" and it's derivatives presumably in order to be offensive. If you're publishing something online then making a deliberate attempt to force your potentially hurtful opinions on people is no more than thinly veiled persecution imo.

No one said your views were immoral, it's your attempt to hurt others that people have a problem with. Ask yourself, if you had moral objections to homosexuality and found a gay person crying in the street would you go over and tell them your views or would you just f*cking leave it alone? You can show sensitivity to peoples emotions without disregarding your own beliefs.
 Robert Durran 25 Mar 2013
In reply to stroppygob:
> (In reply to joel182)
> Well as far as I am concerned, until a person has had a sex change operation they remain their biological gender.

There was a very interesting programme on Radio 4 last night about just this. I am sure it will still be on iplayer.
 tlm 25 Mar 2013
In reply to stroppygob:

> He wasn't a woman, he was beginning to make the change. Wearing make up and woman's clothes doesn't make you a woman.

Maybe she was already a woman, but was changing her external appearance to match this?

You can legally change gender after living as the opposite gender for 2 years if you intend to continue living as the opposite gender until death. So the law doesn't agree with you.

(and to be honest, your post just makes it seem as though you are being deliberately provocative to get attention for yourself?)

Robert Durran 25 Mar 2013
In reply to Sharp:

Last night's Radio 4 programme:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01rbrtd
 JayPee630 25 Mar 2013
In reply to Robert Durran:

Stroppygob you're being an bigot I'm afraid, and just bleating on about it being just a difference of opinion makes no more sense than a racist doing the same.

By the way, you are aware that there's plenty of studies that show those that react the strongest to issues like this are often the ones that have deep seated related issues aren't you?
Tim Chappell 25 Mar 2013
In reply to stroppygob:
> (In reply to joel182)
> [...]
>
> Well as far as I am concerned, until a person has had a sex change operation they remain their biological gender.

Why on earth do you need to pronounce on this?

Is it a live issue for you?

Would anything be wrong with being non-committal till the question of pronouns actually comes up in your life?

You could wait till it happens, and then see whether someone you actually know who e.g. presents as female, and wants to be a her, seems to you to be someone worth wounding and insulting, or someone whose wishes you might as well go along with, just not to upset her.

Or alternatively, of course, you could sound off about it from a position of total ignorance on UKC.
 EeeByGum 25 Mar 2013
In reply to stroppygob:

But this isn't about what you think. It is about how people feel and more specifically how they feel as a result of the ignorance of others. The fact that you are unable to empathise is irrelevant. It sounds like you are in the camp of people who feel gay people should just snap out of it.

> It doesn't cut the mustard I'm afraid, you'll have to learn that people do not have to think the same ways as you, and people with different views can be just as moral as those playing victims.

Could you not apply that argument to people who suffer racist or sexist abuse as well? Surely (according to your way of thinking) they simply have to accept that other people feel superior to them and that being called a nigger or bitch is just the way the world works?

Or you could say that this sort of behaviour is unacceptable?
 Jon Stewart 25 Mar 2013
In reply to stroppygob:
> (In reply to joel182)
> [...]

> It doesn't cut the mustard I'm afraid, you'll have to learn that people do not have to think the same ways as you, and people with different views can be just as moral as those playing victims.

This is quite revolting arrogance.

It makes absolutely no difference to you whether you respect someone's wishes about an incredibly sensitive topic to them, and it makes an big difference to them. And yet you believe that your opinion on how transgendered people should be referred to is just as important as theirs. It isn't. Your opinion does not matter, it has no relevance to bear on this subject. The opinion of transgendered people on how they want to be referred to does matter, because it is an important issue to them.

Stupid people often fall back on the completely fallacious argument that all opinions are of equal worth. They are not. Some opinions are based on careful consideration of the world, on how to achieve good outcomes, on empathy, respect and intelligence. Other opinions are based on ignorance, or tradition, or a mistaken interpretation of how the world is. These opinions have less value, because they cannot be justified.

An opinion that black people are inferior to white people is not of equal worth to the opinion that people deserve equal rights regardless of the colour of their skin. In just the same way, the opinion that transgendered people should be referred to according to their biological sex until such a time as they've had surgery is not equal to the opinion that you should call them what they ask to be called.
nickyrannoch 25 Mar 2013
In reply to stroppygob:
> (In reply to joel182)
> [...]
>
>
>

It sure is handy when being technically correct and sticking to the rules allows you to mask your ignorance and bigotry behind pedantry.

You are a grade 1 dick.
In reply to Sharp:

I personally know someone who has had 'the change', and apart from the initial shock when I found out (I'd been working abroad and had no idea that he was intending to become she). He was married and had not to my knowledge been involved in a 'gay' relationship. Strangely enough my wife said that she always felt he had a lot of empathy with other females and was not shocked when she heard the news. We had little problem adjusting to her new identity. Talking to her afterwards we understood that she'd felt trapped in a male body since her teens, but had not felt 'gay'.

Even so when discussing our friendship going back over many years I often slip in to referring to her as him -- but she was a regular bloke back then!

We've not met in many years - though do occasionally make contact over t'interweb. The friendship is as good as ever as she's essentially the same good person that he always was.
In reply to stroppygob:

Cost to you of referring to somebody with what you consider to be the wrong pronoun - pretty much nothing
Cost to them of you referring to them by what they consider to be the wrong pronoun - quite a lot

There's no 'difference of opinion' going on here, there's just being a decent human being and respecting the wishes of others where it doesn't cost you anything to do so, and there's being an inconsiderate twunt.
 Gone 25 Mar 2013

Nope. The contents of someone's underwear is no concern of yours. Whether someone should be addressed as he or she depends on whether they are presenting male or female socially, which will depend on their gender identity.

It is quite possible to suppress testosterone chemically while keeping the testes in place and trans women will usually live this way for a few years while on the waiting list for surgery. Some will never have surgery, either due to other health conditions precluding it, financial reasons or just not feeling the need.

What about trans men? They don't typically have "the surgery" - most have mastectomy, some have hysterectomy, some have other lower surgery but others don't bother as the quality is not great.

Also, this biologically essentialist view has led to horrible problems with the substantial number of people who were born intersex. In the past ,determination of male or female at birth has been made with a ruler, and then the baby has been subjected to surgeries to correct what they have to make it comply more closely with the norm for the assigned sex. This leads to horrible consequences later when the child grows up and finds that they have sexual problems as a result of having bits cut off, to fit in with a gender they quite possibly don't identify with anyway.
 Jon Stewart 25 Mar 2013
In reply to Robert Durran:
> [...]
>
> There was a very interesting programme on Radio 4 last night about just this. I am sure it will still be on iplayer.

Here it is:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01rbrtd

Excellent programme, as always. Talks a bit about the radical feminist "gender is a social construct stuff" too.
Wiley Coyote2 25 Mar 2013
In reply to Gone:
>
> [...]
>
> Nope. The contents of someone's underwear is no concern of yours.

This is not meant to be as facetious as it may sound but if a person is entitled to be treated as the sex/gender they say they want to be regardless of biology don't all kinds of legal and quasi- legal rules fall apart in everythng from women's sport to which loos people can use or even which prison they can be sent to?
Tim Chappell 25 Mar 2013
In reply to Wiley Coyote:

So: "We can't possibly countenance this social change, we don't have the toilet arrangements for it."

Are you perchance a member of a London gentlemen's club?
 Jon Stewart 25 Mar 2013
> (In reply to syv_k)
> [...]
>
> This is not meant to be as facetious as it may sound but if a person is entitled to be treated as the sex/gender they say they want to be regardless of biology don't all kinds of legal and quasi- legal rules fall apart in everythng from women's sport to which loos people can use or even which prison they can be sent to?

The legal stuff is covered by the Gender Recognition Act. If your gender is complicated, then there's going to be complicated issues if you get sent to prison or want to compete in sports. These issues won't be solved by simply looking in someone's trousers/skirt.
In reply to Tim Chappell:
> (In reply to Wiley Coyote)
>
>
> So: "We can't possibly countenance this social change, we don't have the toilet arrangements for it."

Not at all. It's a serious question, though as I said I appreciate it may appear facetious. But think about it. If you accept the premise that you are entitled to be treated as the gender you choose to be regardless of biology reality then logically a prisoner at the Old Bailey can stand in the dock and say "I actually prefer to be a woman. I wish to be called Tracey and serve my 5 years in Holloway rather than the Scrubs, m'lud"
Now that don't make no sense at all to me.

Pinged 25 Mar 2013

I'm sure not many people care if it makes any sense to you. Maybe if you took time to understand such complex issues instead of making crass comments things might begin to make more sense?

EeeByGum 25 Mar 2013

> This is not meant to be as facetious as it may sound but if a person is entitled to be treated as the sex/gender they say they want to be regardless of biology don't all kinds of legal and quasi- legal rules fall apart in everythng from women's sport to which loos people can use or even which prison they can be sent to?

It does indeed, but I believe much of this has been sorted out in the
Gender Recognition Act 2004. Of course sporting organisations and the like have no doubt got some difficult questions to answer but I am sure it will come out in the wash eventually.
In reply to Pinged:
>
> I'm sure not many people care if it makes any sense to you. Maybe if you took time to understand such complex issues instead of making crass comments

Crass question, if you don't mind. And happily someone who clearly knows something about the subject answered it by saying there is something called the Gender Recognition Act which takes care of the point I queried. Sometimes a bit of sense is so much more useful than just replying with insults, don't you find?

Pinged 25 Mar 2013

Point. Taken.
Tim Chappell 25 Mar 2013

then logically a prisoner at the Old Bailey can stand in the dock and say "I actually prefer to be a woman. I wish to be called Tracey and serve my 5 years in Holloway rather than the Scrubs, m'lud"

And this is a problem how? Supposing it happened, why would it matter?

Why on earth do you think it's a reason for not allowing people to decide whether they want to present as male or female?

Those aren't rhetorical questions; I simply don't see what your problem is.

tlm 25 Mar 2013

With regards to prisons:

"With regard to accommodation in prison, it will be unlawful discrimination if a transgender suspect or offender is accommodated less favourably than non-transgender prisoners just because of their intention to undergo, or their actual, gender reassignment. This means that it will be necessary to treat a prisoner who decides to live permanently in their non-birth gender according to their chosen gender unless there is a compelling reason for doing otherwise. Only the accommodation of a transgender woman in a prison along with women and a transgender man in a prison along with men will allow them to live according to their chosen gender, equally to biological men or women.

Any contrary approach, including the segregation of the transgender prisoner from other inmates, would be unlawful discrimination unless it is necessary, for example, on personal safety grounds"

http://www.journalonline.co.uk/Magazine/56-1/1009076.aspx#.UVBYYhdQYbQ
In reply to Tim Chappell:

>
> Why on earth do you think it's a reason for not allowing people to decide whether they want to present as male or female?
> I simply don't see what your problem is.

The issue is not how they 'present' but how they are entitled to be treated. Long, long ago in a post far, far up this thread it was argued that biology was the only determinant of gender and the counter argument was put that if a man presented as a woman they were entitled to be treated as a woman. I was merely pointing out that is certainly not true in sport where we all know about sex testing and asking whether it could be true in law either. To illusrate this I highlighted an (albeit perhaps rare) example where it could pose problems, ie a biological male in a female prison.
On a more mundane level the question of toilet arrangements, which so amused you earlier, did have an impact at my wife's company, not at a London gentlemen's club as you suggested but in the supposedly liberal and progressive world of television. A man announced he was planning to change sex but in the period during which he was obliged to live as a woman before the op, a significant proportion of the female staff refused to let that person use the ladies, the individual concerned did not want to use the gents and eventually had to be provided with their own facilities, something even the md and chairman did not have. Once you move away from theory to practice things get messy.
 stewieatb 25 Mar 2013
> (In reply to Tim Chappell)
> [...]
>
> [...]
>
> The issue is not how they 'present' but how they are entitled to be treated. Long, long ago in a post far, far up this thread it was argued that biology was the only determinant of gender and the counter argument was put that if a man presented as a woman they were entitled to be treated as a woman. I was merely pointing out that is certainly not true in sport where we all know about sex testing and asking whether it could be true in law either. To illusrate this I highlighted an (albeit perhaps rare) example where it could pose problems, ie a biological male in a female prison.

Sport has clear limitations on hormone levels to limit who can compete in which side of the sport. Usually, the first part of gender reassignment is hormone treatment, and this will continue for the rest of the person's life. Someone who is biologically male but takes female hormones will meet these criteria in about 2 years, and the same in the opposite direction.

This came up in MMA recently, with a trans-woman competing in women's MMA and getting a lot of flak for it. However, the main advantages of being male, such as higher testosterone and therefore greater muscle development, are cancelled out by hormone treatment within about two years.
 tlm 25 Mar 2013
> A man announced he was planning to change sex but in the period during which he was obliged to live as a woman before the op, a significant proportion of the female staff refused to let that person use the ladies,

I wonder why? After all, it's all cubicles in ladies loos...
 JayPee630 25 Mar 2013
In reply to tlm:

Complicated I guess, some understandable reasons maybe (having suffered sexual assault by a man, etc.) and then some rubbish ones (people just being bigots, etc.) I'd guess.

I've never really got segregated toilets, seems very Victorian to me.
 EeeByGum 25 Mar 2013

> before the op, a significant proportion of the female staff refused to let that person use the ladies

I think this is the sort of ignorance that needs to be tackled. Why did they not want this person to use the ladies? I don't really get it at all. It is becoming increasingly common to find uni-sex toilets and facilities in the likes of restaurants and swimming baths. Why is the idea of a transgender (former man) having a dump in the cubical next to you so horrendous?
 owlart 25 Mar 2013
In reply to Sharp: This would seem like a good thread to ask this on, when referring to someone who used to be a man but is now a woman, but you're referring to the time before their sex change, is it still correct to refer to them as 'he', since at the time, they were? I ask this as there's someone quite prominent in our sector (and hence talked about/referrenced quite often) who underwent a sex change and it always causes confusion with some people as to whether to refer to them as 'she' or 'he' when we're talking about the time they were called Roger rather than Sophie as they are now.
 JayPee630 25 Mar 2013
In reply to owlart:

Maybe just ask them somewhere privately and considerately. IME they'll be fine and probably happy you asked.
 owlart 25 Mar 2013
In reply to JayPee630: It's not someone who I work with, it's someone prominent in our sector. It's like asking a guy who works in PC World to ask Bill Gates personally what he'd like to be called!
 JayPee630 25 Mar 2013
In reply to owlart:

Then it probably doesn't matter so much, but I'd use the pronoun that they use now.
 tlm 25 Mar 2013
In reply to owlart:

If you were talking about a woman who is married, and who is now called Mrs. Smith, but you are talking about the past, before she was married, when she used to be called Miss. Snowdrop, it doesn't seem so hard.

Mrs. Smith used to go to school in Westbury park.

You wouldn't say "Mrs. Smith (nee Snowdrop)used to go to school in Westbury park before she was married. (unless you were specifically interested in the fact that she used to be Miss Snowdrop)
 owlart 25 Mar 2013
In reply to tlm: Except your example retains the same gender and so doesn't really address the confusion I was referring to as you'd always use the pronoun 'she'. When referring back to work done in the 1980's when the person was called Roger, would you say "He wrote the article because..." since at the time they were male, or "She wrote the article because..." since they are currently female? Currently people seem to use about 50/50 either way.
 tlm 25 Mar 2013
In reply to owlart:

You miss my point. Is it particularly important that you draw attention to the fact that she used to be a man? If not, then just use she.

If you need to because of a specific reason, use he.
 winhill 25 Mar 2013
In reply to tlm:

owlart's point is that the woman concerned has a very long history of work, that would be truncated or ignored if you didn't also refer to her male history (she's done a lot of chip development over 30 years).

In fact, you can't understand the development of computers in the UK if you don't know about it.
 owlart 25 Mar 2013
In reply to tlm:
> (In reply to owlart)
>
> You miss my point. Is it particularly important that you draw attention to the fact that she used to be a man?

The "(c) Roger" at the end of all their work manages to do that anyway.

> If not, then just use she.
>
> If you need to because of a specific reason, use he.

Ok, thanks for that.
 tlm 25 Mar 2013
In reply to winhill:
> (In reply to tlm)
>
> owlart's point is that the woman concerned has a very long history of work, that would be truncated or ignored if you didn't also refer to her male history (she's done a lot of chip development over 30 years).
>
> In fact, you can't understand the development of computers in the UK if you don't know about it.

Her work will be ignored unless you draw attention to the fact that she used to be a man? Can't you just talk about her work, rather than her gender? The wikipedia page manages it really well.

In reply to JayPee630:
> (In reply to Robert Durran)
>
> Stroppygob you're being an bigot I'm afraid, and just bleating on about it being just a difference of opinion makes no more sense than a racist doing the same.

I was expecting this one. God, so predictable. Calling someone who is biologically a male "he" is the same as calling someone of another race inferior due to their skin colour. Utter bullsh!t.

> By the way, you are aware that there's plenty of studies that show those that react the strongest to issues like this are often the ones that have deep seated related issues aren't you?

Again, so predictable, boring! Got a link to one of these "studies"? Thought not.

Isn't it amazing the amount of abuse some here seem willing to throw at a person for expressing a genuine belief?

The funny thing is, these are the same people who DEMAND we subscribe to their orthodoxy, and do not IN ANY Way deviate from their methods of expression.

So, id I state my genuinely held belief that it is ok to refer to a biological male as "he", that is grounds for calling me "a racist" a "bigot" an "closet gender confused person" a "homophobe", etc.

You demand we are polite and conform to your way of expressing yourself, or you will make up really nasty things about us, on no grounds whatsoever.

Hang about, isn't that a case of the pot calling the kettle black?

As I've said here in the past, the sacred cows of the left are held in the same way as a religious belief is held; "You will conform to what we believe or that makes you a evil person. Not conforming to our beliefs and ways of expressing ourselves, gives us carte blanche to say whatever we like about you, to lie about you even, with impunity."

Conf#2 25 Mar 2013
In reply to stroppygob:

It's not a belief though, it's just being unpleasant.

And the reason people are reacting so strongly is because the self harm and suicide rate of people who are trans* is so incredibly high. So it touches a nerve.

In reply to Sharp: At the risk of being a three post nutbag, and to answer the original post; I would have no problem at all, in fact would feel obliged to refer to the person in the original debate as her/she after he had had a sex change. Unfortunately he hadn't.

A client on my caseload in the past went down that road, after living as a woman for half a year, he decided that it didn't feel right, and went back to living as a gay male.
In reply to confusicating:
>
> It's not a belief though, it's just being unpleasant.
>
You say "unpleasant" I say honest.
 Conf#2 25 Mar 2013
In reply to stroppygob:

No. It's not like that. It is simply being a dick. There is no need.

It really is very simple. Do what you like with your online persona, I really don't mind. So long as it doesn't contribute to someone taking their own life. Then there are issues.
 MonkeyPuzzle 25 Mar 2013
In reply to stroppygob:

>...calling me "a racist" a "bigot" an "closet gender confused person" a "homophobe", etc.

In hindsight, does a list including "closet gender confused person" as a term of abuse seem like the work of a person with a difference of opinion, or, y'know, a bigot?

Gone 25 Mar 2013
In reply to stroppygob:
> A client on my caseload in the past went down that road, after living as a woman for half a year, he decided that it didn't feel right, and went back to living as a gay male.

So? That is what the year or two of 'real life experience' is about, to make sure it is suitable before going through any irrevocable changes - hormone blockers can be discontinued etc. And how are you expecting people to find this out if you won't let them live in role properly, because you won't treat them as a member of their new sex, and use the wrong pronouns for them, which trust me, is really really upsetting, and 'outs' them to people unaware of their history?

Or have you heard of one person whose marriage failed after six months, so you still refer to any recently married women as "Miss X" until a year has elapsed?

In reply to Gone: How am I stopping a person living the role properly by referring to them by their original sex on a forum?

Gosh, I must be clever to do that!
 Gone 25 Mar 2013
In reply to stroppygob:

So you are advocating using one set of pronouns/name/whatever on a forum or somewhere where they don't know you are talking about them, and another set if you were to meet them in person or somewhere where they might read it (and no need if they are dead)? Sounds a bit two faced to me.
 Dan_S 25 Mar 2013
In reply to stroppygob:

It's quite simple: Are you aware that referring to a pre-op transsexual using their birth gender upsets and offends them?

If the answer is yes, then you are being a dick and should stop.
If the answer is no, then you are now aware, and should stop being a dick in future

Why be deliberately unpleasant to people who have done nothing to deserve it.
In reply to Dan_S:
>
> It's quite simple: Are you aware that referring to a pre-op transsexual using their birth gender upsets and offends them?

Only if they are aware I am doing so surely?

If for instance, back in the day, when my daughter was of primary school age, if her teacher Chris, (who she had a massive crush on, ) informed us that as of Monday he would be coming to school in women's clothes, and wanted everyone to call him "Christine", then I surely would have obliged. To do otherwise would be churlish.

But when discussing in the abstract on a forum, whose sensibilities are we taking into account?

Only those who choose to be offended on behalf of others.
 SuperstarDJ 26 Mar 2013
In reply to stroppygob:
> (In reply to Dan_S)
> [...]
>
> Only if they are aware I am doing so surely?
>

So you don't mind using offensive language behind people's back but you wouldn't to their face?
 stewieatb 26 Mar 2013
In reply to stroppygob:
> As I've said here in the past, the sacred cows of the left are held in the same way as a religious belief is held; "You will conform to what we believe or that makes you a evil person. Not conforming to our beliefs and ways of expressing ourselves, gives us carte blanche to say whatever we like about you, to lie about you even, with impunity."

As I've said before; male or female (sex) is about human biology and whether you have a Y-chromosome. Man/Woman (gender) is about the role in society you feel more comfortable in (and it can, legitimately, be both, or neither, or it can change periodically). These are not beliefs; they are statements of terminology and if we cannot agree on them then we simply cannot discuss anything.

Your insistence that a person has not changed gender (not biological sex, which cannot be changed) until they have an operation seems deep-seated in an inability to separate someone's gender from their genitals. It's a very arbitrary distinction to make, seeing as gender reassignment surgery can amount to several different operations over months or years. Which operation do you believe changes their gender?

A friend of mine is a trans-man. He had surgery some months ago now to remove his breasts ("top surgery"), but still has female genitals. He's also been on testosterone treatment for a couple of years now, and lived as a man by binding his chest since he was about 17. I believe he has no further plans for surgery. Would you refuse to call him 'he' because he lacks a penis?

Sex is a biological fact, and gender is a fact too. But while sex can be determined by a DNA test, gender is a feeling in your brain. As soon as a person decides they want to live as the other gender, we should respect that wish by referring to them as the gender and pronouns that they prefer. If a person genuinely feels they want to live as a woman, we have to respect that. An operation doesn't determine it.

I believe that all of this follows from the definitions of sex and gender I gave above.

Your statement that you would call a transgender person by their original gender behind their back, but their presented/preferred gender to their face if they had not had an operation, smacks of arrogance and two-facedness. It suggests that you think you know better than that person what their gender is. Under the definitions of sex and gender I gave above, that just isn't your decision to make.
In reply to SuperstarDJ:
> [...]
>
>
> So you don't mind using offensive language behind people's back but you wouldn't to their face?

That has to be the most silly thing I have read here in a while. You cannot distinguish between talking in the abstract on a forum, and talking face to face?
In reply to stewieatb:
> [...]
>
> As I've said before; male or female (sex) is about human biology and whether you have a Y-chromosome. Man/Woman (gender) is about the role in society you feel more comfortable in (and it can, legitimately, be both, or neither, or it can change periodically). These are not beliefs; they are statements of terminology and if we cannot agree on them then we simply cannot discuss anything.

If I read you rightly then, you are saying that what gender you think you are is more important than your biological make up?

Ok, in terms of societal role I think that's a go.

> Your insistence that a person has not changed gender (not biological sex, which cannot be changed) until they have an operation seems deep-seated in an inability to separate someone's gender from their genitals.

I've insisted no such thing, funnily enough. I did state I would call a male person a man though, unless they requested otherwise of me. And I still see no harm in calling Nathan a "he", when discussing here in the abstract, the unfortunate event of his death.

> Sex is a biological fact, and gender is a fact too. But while sex can be determined by a DNA test, gender is a feeling in your brain. As soon as a person decides they want to live as the other gender, we should respect that wish by referring to them as the gender and pronouns that they prefer. If a person genuinely feels they want to live as a woman, we have to respect that. An operation doesn't determine it.

Why do we "have" to? We can choose to surely, and there you make a good case for it, but "have to"? Isn't that a bit too discriminatory?

> Your statement that you would call a transgender person by their original gender behind their back, but their presented/preferred gender to their face if they had not had an operation, smacks of arrogance and two-facedness.

Lucky I never said anything of the sort then.

Alyson 26 Mar 2013
In reply to stroppygob:
> (In reply to stewieatb)
>
> Why do we "have" to? We can choose to surely, and there you make a good case for it, but "have to"? Isn't that a bit too discriminatory?

Discriminatory against who exactly?

If your only answer is "internet bigots like me who want to retain the right to use derogatory and insulting terminology despite knowing better" then really you've sunk about as low as you can take this discussion. I've seen you start off on various topics and reduce them all to this approximate position. This is all you've got isn't it? This is your personal soapbox, your own little UKC mission, your reason for keyboard bashing: "I want to be a w@nker and you lefty lefters can't stop me". If only you could manage to be witty or funny or entertaining with it, maybe it would be a little less pathetic. Please try harder.

Dan_S 26 Mar 2013
In reply to stroppygob:
> (In reply to Dan_S)
> [...]
>
> Only if they are aware I am doing so surely?

It doesn't matter where you express your views, for trans people, knowing that there are people out there like yourself, who fail to understand their need, their desire and their motivation to have gender reassignment surgery is upsetting. Frankly, doing one thing in public, but behind the anonymity of a forum, saying what you like is just two faced and cowardly.

You just don't seem to get the idea that gender and biological sex are two completely different things. Fundamentally it comes down to being educated, but you don't want to listen, and certainly you seem to be making no attempts at understanding.

From the EHRC discussing transphobia: "Whittle et al (2007) also found that a majority of respondents had faced harassment in public spaces. They noted that ‘73 per cent of respondents experienced comments, threatening behaviour, physical abuse, verbal abuse or sexual abuse while in public spaces.’"

If you extrapolate that out to the between 300,000 and 500,000 people who identify as transgender, that's a hell of a lot of harassment going on. Simply knowing that there are people like you out there, who hold negative views of trans people, will stop people discussing this topic in public to aid education, let alone consider undergoing the treatment and surgery they require to sort out their gender identity.

Someone else asked you at which point you think during gender reassignment, the person stops being a man, and becomes a women. You didn't answer. Why is that? Do you honestly believe that lopping of a mans penis changes him into a women, or giving a women a double a mastectomy turns her into a man? What about the years of hormone therapy they undergo before even getting close to having an operation? How about when they are sat in their bedroom, and for the first time realise that they feel, at the very nucleus of their being that they were born the wrong sex for their gender identity? In the same way people are born homosexual, or asexual, or black, or white, people are born "into" the wrong sex for their gender, and need help and understanding to sort it out. Why is it so hard for you to use the gender noun they want to use?

> If for instance, back in the day, when my daughter was of primary school age, if her teacher Chris, (who she had a massive crush on, ) informed us that as of Monday he would be coming to school in women's clothes, and wanted everyone to call him "Christine", then I surely would have obliged. To do otherwise would be churlish.

If this teacher decided that she wanted to live her life as a women, then it's not about being obliged to refer to her, as a her. You make it sound like an onerous task. It's about accepting that for years they have felt trapped in the wrong body and they finally have the courage do something about it, that they want to become a her, and they want and need your support. It's about having some empathy, being a decent human being and supporting someone making a dramatic and important life changing decision. It's about understanding that they feel so strongly about it, that they are willing to accept the insults, the abuse, the ridicule, and the condemnation from people, whether in public, or on internet forums like this.

Perhaps you'd actually be more concerned about the idea that your daughters crush, "suddenly" becoming a women means your daughter would be a lesbian? And if that's the case, why would that be a problem? Surely as a parent the most important thing is that your daughter be happy.

> But when discussing in the abstract on a forum, whose sensibilities are we taking into account?
> Only those who choose to be offended on behalf of others.

You're basically saying you can do and say what you like when you have the backup of the anonymity of the internet behind you. As your opinion is fundamentally borne of ignorance, people who are willing to support the differences in other people, even if they don't fully understand them themselves need to make the effort to educate those that are close minded and unaccepting of others in society.

Finally:

> By the way, you are aware that there's plenty of studies that show those that react the strongest to issues like this are often the ones that have deep seated related issues aren't you?

> Again, so predictable, boring! Got a link to one of these "studies"?

It's called reaction formation and is well documented:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reaction_formation
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/29/opinion/sunday/homophobic-maybe-youre-gay...
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/assault/roots/freud.html
 Yanis Nayu 26 Mar 2013
In reply to Dan_S: And it was in American Beauty
 jkarran 26 Mar 2013
In reply to stroppygob:

> You say "unpleasant" I say honest.

Unfortunately the two aren't mutually exclusive.
jk
 stewieatb 26 Mar 2013
In reply to stroppygob:
> (In reply to stewieatb)
> [...]
>
> If I read you rightly then, you are saying that what gender you think you are is more important than your biological make up?
>
> Ok, in terms of societal role I think that's a go.

Pretty much, yes.

> [...]
>
> I've insisted no such thing, funnily enough. I did state I would call a male person a man though, unless they requested otherwise of me. And I still see no harm in calling Nathan a "he", when discussing here in the abstract, the unfortunate event of his death.

From your second post in this thread: "Well as far as I am concerned, until a person has had a sex change operation they remain their biological gender." I'd say that's a pretty strong statement that you think gender is intrinsically linked to genitals, or having an operation. If you've revised this view since, then please let me know!

I will accept your second point (calling a male person a man unless they request otherwise) in general terms, but when a person has announced to their friends and family, their employers and their pupils that they wish to live as a woman, why insist on continuing to refer to them as a man? Do you want people to apply in writing before you will use their preferred pronouns and name?

There is no specific harm to Nathan (Lucy) by you using that name and pronoun, but I happen to think it's disrespectful to her memory. Lucy had "come out" as a trans-woman and expressed to everyone who mattered to her that she wished to live as a woman. I don't really see why discussing this on a forum is or should be different to in person, and even if it was, why you think it's more convenient or appopriate to refer to her as a man?

> [...]
>
> Why do we "have" to? We can choose to surely, and there you make a good case for it, but "have to"? Isn't that a bit too discriminatory?

"Have to" might be a bit strong. At the very least, it's polite to, in the same way that it's impolite to use a nickname that somebody doesn't like or finds insulting. Is "discrimatory" what you actually meant?

> [...]
>
> Lucky I never said anything of the sort then.

"[I] would feel obliged to refer to the person in the original debate as her/she after he had had a sex change. Unfortunately he hadn't."

"If her teacher Chris informed us that as of Monday he would be coming to school in women's clothes, and wanted everyone to call him "Christine", then I surely would have obliged."

These statements juxtaposed seem to indicate a view that when speaking to a transgender person in person, you would feel obliged to use their preferred name and pronouns, whether or not they had had an operation. But when speaking behind their back, "in the abstract" as you put it, you think an operation determines which gender you should refer to them as. Why do you find the two situations so different? What exactly is so "abstract" about an online discussion?
In reply to stewieatb: Excellent post stewieatb, so nice to have some reasoned debate here.

>
> From your second post in this thread: "Well as far as I am concerned, until a person has had a sex change operation they remain their biological gender." I'd say that's a pretty strong statement that you think gender is intrinsically linked to genitals, or having an operation. If you've revised this view since, then please let me know!

I have, thanks to some information gained here, and I'm happy to withdraw that statement. I was in error.

>
> I will accept your second point (calling a male person a man unless they request otherwise) in general terms, but when a person has announced to their friends and family, their employers and their pupils that they wish to live as a woman, why insist on continuing to refer to them as a man? Do you want people to apply in writing before you will use their preferred pronouns and name?

Nicely put. It was/is a minor point of protocol, I still see no harm in referring to Nathan/Lucy as a he in abstract debate though. But some here have made such a meal of it that it has assumed a proportion all out of perspective.
>
> There is no specific harm to Nathan (Lucy) by you using that name and pronoun, but I happen to think it's disrespectful to her memory. Lucy had "come out" as a trans-woman and expressed to everyone who mattered to her that she wished to live as a woman. I don't really see why discussing this on a forum is or should be different to in person, and even if it was, why you think it's more convenient or appopriate to refer to her as a man?

Now we are talking about his/her memory, which again, raises issues. S/he lived as a man for 32 years, is all that to be ignored? S/he fathered a child and was in a conventional marriage with a woman, but that "memory" is to be forgotten?
>

> "Have to" might be a bit strong. At the very least, it's polite to, in the same way that it's impolite to use a nickname that somebody doesn't like or finds insulting. Is "discrimatory" what you actually meant?

Yes, that was my only concern that this "have to" was dictatorial, and rather insulting to other who may have different views. We are expected to respect teh views of some who want us to view Lucy as entirely a woman, but there is little respect for those who see Nathan as primarily a man. "Would prefer," rather than "have to" perhaps?

> [...]
>
> "[I] would feel obliged to refer to the person in the original debate as her/she after he had had a sex change. Unfortunately he hadn't."
>
> "If her teacher Chris informed us that as of Monday he would be coming to school in women's clothes, and wanted everyone to call him "Christine", then I surely would have obliged."
>
> These statements juxtaposed seem to indicate a view that when speaking to a transgender person in person, you would feel obliged to use their preferred name and pronouns, whether or not they had had an operation. But when speaking behind their back, "in the abstract" as you put it, you think an operation determines which gender you should refer to them as. Why do you find the two situations so different? What exactly is so "abstract" about an online discussion?

No not "behind their back", that has a pejorative context, as if I was doing something sly, with malice intended. It is impossible to talk "behind the back" of someone deceased.What I am trying to separate, is the real person from the abstract debate. I have no malice or ill will towards anyone. There is a whole world of difference about taking about a deceased person on a forum, to dealing with a live person in real life. I find it surprising that some cannot make that differential.

In this forum we can separate our emotional responses (well at least some of us can,) from our rational replies, and deal with what is a philosophical debate without needing to personalise and emotionalise the subject at hand.
Note for instance the heaps of vitriol and hate poured out wrongly over Littlejohn's role in this. If his part had not been personalised, but rationalised, some here would not have made such embarrassing statements.

As I said elsewhere; Left-wing pitchfork and torches brigades are as unthinking and hate driven as any of the "Laura Norder" brigade.

SuperstarDJ 26 Mar 2013
In reply to stroppygob:
> (In reply to SuperstarDJ)
> [...]
>
> That has to be the most silly thing I have read here in a while. You cannot distinguish between talking in the abstract on a forum, and talking face to face?

You can't talk about a specific case in the abstract and so the medium or location of the conversation seems irrelevant. So, no, I don't think you can make that distinction.
In reply to SuperstarDJ:
> [...]
>
> You can't talk about a specific case in the abstract and so the medium or location of the conversation seems irrelevant. So, no, I don't think you can make that distinction.

But surely you can use a specific case to give a basis for discussion, without treating that case per se as if it represents all possible eventualities/outcomes?
 tlm 27 Mar 2013
In reply to stroppygob:

You seem to think that an online conversation happens between you and your computer, rather than between you, the other people typing messages, and all the hundreds of people who read posts, laugh at them, feel angry, depressed or bored as a result and never post back themselves?

How can mentioning specific people in such an environment be seen as 'abstract'?
In reply to tlm: Well for a start, the person in the OP is dead, so I doubt she (see what I did there?) will be offended. So we would be using that case as a abstract example.

Your point is more a case for not emotionalising by personalising a case, is it not?

If, as an example, I post "person X is a she due to her having a vagaina" then I have little or no responsibility for the reactions of your "hundreds of people who read posts, laugh at them, feel angry, depressed or bored as a result and never post back themselves, as only they carry the emotional reaction to whatever I have posted, only they have responsibility for their emotional reaction.(Basic cognitive therapy there.)

If we were never to post anything which may upset, offend, insult, conflict with, depress, bore,etc anyone else, then all forums would cease.
 tlm 28 Mar 2013
In reply to stroppygob:

> If, as an example, I post "person X is a she due to her having a vagaina" then I have little or no responsibility for the reactions of your "hundreds of people who read posts, laugh at them, feel angry, depressed or bored as a result and never post back themselves, as only they carry the emotional reaction to whatever I have posted, only they have responsibility for their emotional reaction.(Basic cognitive therapy there.)

Of course you would have responsibility for what you had written! You always do, no matter what you choose to write.

Yes - people do have some responsibility for their own emotional response too - but most responses are a mixture of external and internal stimuli. If someone hits you over the head with a big hammer, you are going to struggle to stay happy about it.

> If we were never to post anything which may upset, offend, insult, conflict with, depress, bore,etc anyone else, then all forums would cease.

Nah - they would just end up like Facebook. Wow! you look great! Have you lost weight?! So sad about your puppy dying <HUGS>.

It's good to chew things over and discuss them AND for their to be a range of views (and for there to always remain a range of views - god, it would be dire if we were all one grey amorphous mass). But sometimes, what you write sounds more like you are just saying things for the sake of strife, rather than because you believe them.

In reply to tlm:
>
> [...]
>
> Of course you would have responsibility for what you had written! You always do, no matter what you choose to write.

True, but you do not have responsibility for other people's reaction to it.
>
> Yes - people do have some responsibility for their own emotional response too - but most responses are a mixture of external and internal stimuli. If someone hits you over the head with a big hammer, you are going to struggle to stay happy about it.

But if someone writes; "person X is a woman as she has a vagina,",/i> then you have a choice in how you react to it. You can take it as someone's sincerely held belief, abet you may think them wrong, or you can take it as a grave insult and become depressed over it, (even though it was not about you.)

Again, basic CBT.

> It's good to chew things over and discuss them AND for their to be a range of views (and for there to always remain a range of views - god, it would be dire if we were all one grey amorphous mass). But sometimes, what you write sounds more like you are just saying things for the sake of strife, rather than because you believe them.

No, what I am saying is what I believe to be the truth. I have also retracted at least one of my statements as I believe it was proved erroneous. I'm not addicted to the dogma of left or right, I enjoy putting forthright views and having them challenged.

What I do not like is being lied about, called names for holding my beliefs, or "you are a right winger so you believe XYZ”, being stated.

Thanks again for the pleasant chat.

tlm 28 Mar 2013
In reply to stroppygob:

> True, but you do not have responsibility for other people's reaction to it.

Of course you do, to some extent!

Firstly, why would you bother saying anything at all, ever if it wasn't to provoke some type of reaction in others? That is the WHOLE point of communication!

Also, if you think of it in terms of - if you hit someone hard with a hammer, are you responsible for their reaction to it?

Reactions are in response to both external and internal stimuli combined. Yes, you are not responsible for the internal stimuli, but you ARE responsible for the external ones...

> But if someone writes; "person X is a woman as she has a vagina,",/i> then you have a choice in how you react to it. You can take it as someone's sincerely held belief, abet you may think them wrong, or you can take it as a grave insult and become depressed over it, (even though it was not about you.)
>
> Again, basic CBT.

Yes. Basic. Yes, other people interpret the information that you put out there. But YOU decide what YOU put out there - you can't just shrug that off and say that it isn't your responsibility. It IS your choice and your responsibility.

You don't call your boss at work a Cnut and then say it is his responsibility not to get offended. You moderate what you say and make choices.

> No, what I am saying is what I believe to be the truth. I have also retracted at least one of my statements as I believe it was proved erroneous. I'm not addicted to the dogma of left or right, I enjoy putting forthright views and having them challenged.

I guess in trying to make them sound forthright, you are sometimes giving me the impression that you are just enjoying going against the sheepy herds. However, I do understand that it is all a matter of interpretation.

I do agree with what you have said about notjust assuming indignation on the part of another person, who may, or who may not be offended in reality. But then this point gets a bit lost and diluted in the stroppyness, which is a bit of a shame.

> What I do not like is being lied about, called names for holding my beliefs, or "you are a right winger so you believe XYZ”, being stated.

Hmmm.... so you DO understand that what people say has a role in eliciting your own emotional reactions then, and that it isn't all just your own responsibility to shrug it off?!

Anyhoo - that is what ANY forum is like - there are always people who will say something ill thought out and a bit daft. I tend not to reply or react much if someone ever writes such stuff aimed at me, but then that doesn't happen very often....

> Thanks again for the pleasant chat.

Yeah!

In reply to tlm:

> Of course you do, to some extent!
> Firstly, why would you bother saying anything at all, ever if it wasn't to provoke some type of reaction in others? That is the WHOLE point of communication!

Well, you may be saying something as you believe your view te be correct. You may be saying something to offer a different perspective. You may be sayings something as you have more evidence to bring to the debate. You may be saying something to widen the debate, or focus it more. You may be saying something to balance the debate. You may be saying something to get it off your chest. You may be saying something to offer a personal perspective, etc etc....

> Also, if you think of it in terms of - if you hit someone hard with a hammer, are you responsible for their reaction to it?

That is a ridiculous analogy, and fails totally.

> Reactions are in response to both external and internal stimuli combined. Yes, you are not responsible for the internal stimuli, but you ARE responsible for the external ones...

No more than anyone choosing to read what is written is. And the reaction to external stimuli, again, is totally dependent on ten persons own cognitive make up.

> Yes. Basic. Yes, other people interpret the information that you put out there. But YOU decide what YOU put out there - you can't just shrug that off and say that it isn't your responsibility. It IS your choice and your responsibility.

I never said I was. I put my thoughts/information out there, in a debate that is what people should do. If people choose to be offended /depressed/angered/enlightened/bored/ ambivalent about that information, that is their choice.

> You don't call your boss at work a Cnut and then say it is his responsibility not to get offended. You moderate what you say and make choices.

No you don't. You make a rational choice knowing that you are offering an insult. However, we are not talking about face to face contact, we are talking about people having the ability and right to express their views and their perspectives in an online debate.

> I guess in trying to make them sound forthright, you are sometimes giving me the impression that you are just enjoying going against the sheepy herds. However, I do understand that it is all a matter of interpretation.

If I do enjoy that, then I enjoy that. Is it wrong?

> I do agree with what you have said about no tjust assuming indignation on the part of another person, who may, or who may not be offended in reality.

Thank you, we have both gained form this exchange then!

> What I do not like is being lied about, called names for holding my beliefs, or "you are a right winger so you believe XYZ”, being stated

> Hmmm.... so you DO understand that what people say has a role in eliciting your own emotional reactions then, and that it isn't all just your own responsibility to shrug it off?!

It's your own responsibility to deal with your emotions on reading it, and to be responsible for the way you react. It is irresponsible to blame others for your own internal discourse. I am entirely comfortable with the way I react to being lied about, I own that emotion.

> Anyhoo - that is what ANY forum is like - there are always people who will say something ill thought out and a bit daft. I tend not to reply or react much if someone ever writes such stuff aimed at me, but then that doesn't happen very often....

But you obviously put thought into your replies.

Thanks again.

John_Hat 28 Mar 2013
In reply to stroppygob:

OK, in an attempt to educate...

We, in western society particularly, really really like polar opposites. Especially in relation to gender and sex. Basically its either/or, like it or lump it, etc. We also treat men and women *vastly* differently in society, pretty much from birth.

Unfortunately, nature isn't as helpful in always producing polar opposites. We all start off as the same sex (i.e. none) and physical sex is determined in the womb, with gonads becoming testes or ovaries respectively. This process regularly doesn't exactly go as planned and lots of people fall physically into the in-between space, even when they are clear XX or XY, and ignoring the distinctly rarer chromosonal situations like XX_male, XXX, XXXX, XXXXY (yes, happens) XXYY, XYY, XXY etc.

So we have clear evidence that physically nature doesn't always make it into an unambiguous physical sexual characteristic.

We also have a *lot* of evidence that nature doesn't always wire up the brain exactly as planned either.

So, is it so much of a leap that there can be situation where nature has managed to get an individual physically one sex but didn't manage to get their brain into the same gender bracket as their body.

Now we run this through western society, where we treat people in the above situation **appallingly**. Actually its worse than appallingly. The suicide rate is stratospherically high, not only because of the massive internal battle between brain and body, but then if, gawd help them, the individual actually tried to do anything about it, they are stigmatised by society, made the butt of jokes, insulted, derided and generally treated a lot worse than most animals.

It doesn't help that whilst male to female surgery can be very successful there's plenty of drawbacks, and female to male surgery is at best unsatisfactory.

So, you've gone through your life with your brain and body effectively at war, you've gone through years or decades of social stigma and misery, you've gone through years of hormone treatment, you've potentially gone through very unpleasant surgery, and eventually some f*ckwit (and that's putting it very, very mildly) says that you can't be considered to be the gender that your brain thinks it is because your body either has been insufficiently chopped about, or that this doesn't matter anyway.

These are people who have had a cr@p deal from the very, very beginning.

I, personally, and many others, think that they deserve every bit of help, empathy and consideration that society can give.

You don't.

And you wonder why you are getting abuse on this thread?
 lemonparty 29 Mar 2013
In reply to John_Hat:
>
>
> I, personally, and many others, think that they deserve every bit of help, empathy and consideration that society can give.
>
> You don't.

To be honest, I think Mr Stroppy does need help and empathy. He is clearly not quite right in t'head and seems very bitter.

SuperstarDJ 29 Mar 2013
In reply to stroppygob:
> (In reply to SuperstarDJ)
> > > SG - That has to be the most silly thing I have read here in a while. You cannot distinguish between talking in the abstract on a forum, and talking face to face?

> > SDJ - You can't talk about a specific case in the abstract and so the medium or location of the conversation seems irrelevant. So, no, I don't think you can make that distinction.

> SG - But surely you can use a specific case to give a basis for discussion, without treating that case per se as if it represents all possible eventualities/outcomes?

My point was that your justification for the offence you're causing is that you're "talking in the abstract on a forum".

The three definitions of abstract that apply here are...

1. thought of apart from concrete realities, specific objects, or actual instances: an abstract idea.

2. expressing a quality or characteristic apart from any specific object or instance, as justice, poverty, and speed.

3. theoretical; not applied or practical: abstract science.

...so whatever point you're trying to make you're not talking in the abstract. You're dealing with a specific case and therefore need to observe the sensitivies around this case.

You could certainly use this case to illustrate a point but as you've personalised your argument by basing it around a named individual I don't think you should be surprised that people feel obliged to point out your insensitivity. One that I think you've acknowledged so kudos to you for that.

"But surely you can use a specific case to give a basis for discussion, without treating that case per se as if it represents all possible eventualities/outcomes? "

I would agree with this. Indeed, extrapolating all possible eventualities and outcomes from a single case would lead to logically invalid conclusions.
 crustypunkuk 29 Mar 2013
In reply to John_Hat:
Your intelligently and empathetically written post sums it all up very succinctly. Anyone who can't understand what you've written is essentially a bigot.
My hat comes off to you Mr Hat.
In reply to John_Hat:
> These are people who have had a cr@p deal from the very, very beginning.
>
> I, personally, and many others, think that they deserve every bit of help, empathy and consideration that society can give.
>
> You don't.

What have I said which indicates I do not believe they deserve; "every bit of help, empathy and consideration that society can give."?

Please quote me? Bet you cannot.

> And you wonder why you are getting abuse on this thread?

I don't wonder why I am getting abuse at all. I've long known that those on the left are the ultimate hypocrites where throwing abuse is concerned. If you dare to challenge their dictatorial, religiously-held, beliefs about how society should behave, abuse (which they claim to abhor,) is the only weapon in their armoury.
In reply to crustypunkuk:
> (In reply to John_Hat)
> Anyone who can't understand what you've written is essentially a bigot.

ROTFLMFFAO!! What a wonderful logical fallacy.

crustypunkuk 29 Mar 2013
In reply to stroppygob:
Fair enough, perhaps the wrong term?
John explained things perfectly succinctly, I wholeheartedly concur with his well written reasoning and as i see it, anyone who doesn't see his/my/any reasonable person's point that a person is a person and deserves the respect that comes with that is clearly a bigot- in what way is that a fallacy?
 crustypunkuk 29 Mar 2013
In reply to stroppygob:
And i would add, I haven't really followed the full thread, so i'm not aiming any opinions as an attack at you, but it would seem that John's comment represents the definitive voice of rationality, no?
In reply to crustypunkuk:
> And i would add, I haven't really followed the full thread, so i'm not aiming any opinions as an attack at you,

fair enough.

> but it would seem that John's comment represents the definitive voice of rationality, no?

John's points are erroneous inasmuch as he attributes to me, directly, writings, thoughts and feelings which I do have not written, do not think, and do not experience.

His points are reasonable.

tlm 29 Mar 2013
In reply to stroppygob:
> Well, you may be saying something as you believe your view te be correct.

I have lots of views that I believe to be correct, but I don't need to say anything to another person. Why bother saying something about it, unless you want them to react in one way or another? Why not just write it in a private diary if all you want to do it write it down?

> You may be saying something to offer a different perspective.

So in order to provoke the reaction of getting the other person to see that their view is not the only view?

> You may be sayings something as you have more evidence to bring to the debate.

So in order to get the other person to reconsider their point of view?

> You may be saying something to widen the debate, or focus it more. You may be saying something to balance the debate. You may be saying something to get it off your chest. You may be saying something to offer a personal perspective, etc etc....

Same for all of these - why share them if you don't plan for what you are saying to have any effect what-so-ever on the other person?

> No more than anyone choosing to read what is written is.

I agree that is one difference between a forum and saying something out loud - that someone can see who is posting and choose not to read what they post - but it can be quite hard to avoid posts altogether unless you just read nothing ever. It's surprisingly easy to find yourself reading something unsettling or unpleasant if you read enough.

> And the reaction to external stimuli, again, is totally dependent on ten persons own cognitive make up.

I don't think that is all there is to it. I think there are certain things (for example, someone running towards you shouting) that you have an instinctive reaction to. Your reaction happens before you have time to moderate it. There are some things that nearly everyone reacts the same way to. It isn't all quite as dependent on internal moderation as you are making out (even though I believe it is a lot MORE dependent on internal moderation than most people realise).

> No you don't. You make a rational choice knowing that you are offering an insult. However, we are not talking about face to face contact, we are talking about people having the ability and right to express their views and their perspectives in an online debate.

You say that as though somehow there aren't actually whole people on the other end of your communication? (and without the acknowledgement that those people will be a mixed bag, including some very secure people and other people with various vulnerabilities and weaknesses who may not have the strongest control over their own cognitive reaction). You have the ability, the right and also a responsibility for what you choose to say, knowing that a wide, mixed audience will read it and that they will have varied responses to it.

> If I do enjoy that, then I enjoy that. Is it wrong?

No. But I think that abdicating all responsibility for the results of what you put out there is seeing what suits you, rather than realistic, and seems a bit naive.

> Thank you, we have both gained form this exchange then!

I thought it before this exchange! But of course I have gained from the exchange, or I wouldn't take part in it. And it seems a shame that you lose the chance to really make your point to other people by diluting it in sensationalism. But there you go - that's the way you like to do things.
 deepsoup 29 Mar 2013
In reply to stroppygob:
> ROTFLMFFAO!!

YSIT
(Yet still, inexplicably, typing!)

I too raise my hat to Mr Hat.
In reply to tlm:
> [...]
>
> I have lots of views that I believe to be correct, but I don't need to say anything to another person. Why bother saying something about it, unless you want them to react in one way or another? Why not just write it in a private diary if all you want to do it write it down?

Oh now you're being silly. This is a debate forum, some people enjoy debate, me for one. Note, it was not me that started this topic, should people not start topics for fear that someone may express a view which is not universally acceptable?

> So in order to provoke the reaction of getting the other person to see that their view is not the only view?
> So in order to get the other person to reconsider their point of view?
> Same for all of these - why share them if you don't plan for what you are saying to have any effect what-so-ever on the other person?

For god's sake! THIS IS A FORUM. People express views and opinions here. Are you saying that only views which have no content should be expressed? That no views should be expressed unless they clearly and unequivocally cause no stress to anyone anywhere?

> I agree that is one difference between a forum and saying something out loud - that someone can see who is posting and choose not to read what they post - but it can be quite hard to avoid posts altogether unless you just read nothing ever. It's surprisingly easy to find yourself reading something unsettling or unpleasant if you read enough.

That is true.

> I don't think that is all there is to it. I think there are certain things (for example, someone running towards you shouting) that you have an instinctive reaction to. Your reaction happens before you have time to moderate it. There are some things that nearly everyone reacts the same way to. It isn't all quite as dependent on internal moderation as you are making out (even though I believe it is a lot MORE dependent on internal moderation than most people realise).

Someone running towards me shouting will cause me to get ready to fight, it would cause my wife to run away, it may cause my daughter to be frozen with fear. If someone says; “I shall refer to this person as a woman as they have a vagina,” there is no threat. Some may take it as a threat as they may feel that it reflects on their gender perception, so may see it as a threat as it challenges their left wing orthodoxy, some may see it as someone sh!t stirring, some may see it as funny, some may agree with it. There is a range of emotions/reactions to that sentence, there is no reason for it not to be stated.

> You say that as though somehow there aren't actually whole people on the other end of your communication? (and without the acknowledgement that those people will be a mixed bag, including some very secure people and other people with various vulnerabilities and weaknesses who may not have the strongest control over their own cognitive reaction). You have the ability, the right and also a responsibility for what you choose to say, knowing that a wide, mixed audience will read it and that they will have varied responses to it.

So in other words, do not post anything which may cause offense to people who may or may not exist, or, if they do exist you do not know what their vulnerabilities are, or what may or may not upset them.

That's very clever, how do you do it?

> No. But I think that abdicating all responsibility for the results of what you put out there is seeing what suits you, rather than realistic, and seems a bit naive.

Nope it's just treating everybody as equal. It is saying "this is my view, what do you think."

> I thought it before this exchange! But of course I have gained from the exchange, or I wouldn't take part in it. And it seems a shame that you lose the chance to really make your point to other people by diluting it in sensationalism. But there you go - that's the way you like to do things.

Oh dear, where have I been sensational?

tlm 31 Mar 2013
In reply to stroppygob:
> should people not start topics for fear that someone may express a view which is not universally acceptable?

Not at all! You should post whatever you choose to post! However, if I choose to post an opinion on here, I should accept that part of me posting it is the fact that it will cause an emotional response in very real people (yes - a different response in different people, depending on how each of them react), and I should take responsibility for whatever I choose to post.

> For god's sake! THIS IS A FORUM. People express views and opinions here. Are you saying that only views which have no content should be expressed? That no views should be expressed unless they clearly and unequivocally cause no stress to anyone anywhere?

No. But if I put something like 'what is your favourite biscuit' then you can be pretty sure that it won't offend anyone. If I put 'all people who climb trad are hypocrites who do more damage to the environment than those who climb at walls, then I can be pretty sure that one person will have an emotional response.

Posting bland stuff won't generate a very interesting response. Posting controversial stuff will get the response, but also will almost certainly be upsetting to some people.

Just take responsibility for what you post, either way. It's also quite possible to post controversial stuff in a sensitive or in a provocative way.

> If someone says; “I shall refer to this person as a woman as they have a vagina,” there is no threat.

There are all sorts of threats in that statement. People have been beaten up as a result of others holding dogmatic views about their sexuality. By stating such a thing, you are promoting dogmatic ways of looking at the issue and encouraging that approach.

> Nope it's just treating everybody as equal. It is saying "this is my view, what do you think."

See - I like that way of putting it. If you said "if a person has a vagina, why shouldn't I just call that person a woman? That seems to make sense to me. Does anyone have any different views on it?" then that would generate debate without being quite so dogmatic and threatening. (you will say how can the written word be threatening. I reply there are plenty of examples of the power of the written word out there if you want to find out.)
In reply to tlm: But you've just agreed with everything I've been saying all along! Thanks.
 Duncan Bourne 31 Mar 2013
In reply to stroppygob:
Hurrah! consensus on UKC
 tlm 01 Apr 2013
In reply to Duncan Bourne:

It's a miracle!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...