UKC

Car insurance

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 climber david 12 Jan 2018

Does anyone have any tips or recommendations for car insurance for my girlfriend? Looking for a insurance that will cover her as a learner (on her own policy) and then once she passes she can just change the policy to say she has a full licence.

Does anyone have any experience of getting insurance in this situation or have any tips. We tried speaking to 1 or 2 insurance companies but they couldnt seem to get their head around what we were asking for

Cheers

LastBoyScout 12 Jan 2018
In reply to climber david:

If you're trying to allow her to drive your car but on her own policy, you can't do that - you'll have to add her as a named driver on your policy.

Dax H 12 Jan 2018

Speak to a broker rather than the insurance companies. The insurance companies help lines always struggle with anything out of the ordinary. 

OP climber david 12 Jan 2018
In reply to LastBoyScout:

She's got her own car and now just needs to insure it now. It's not currently insured at all 

Sharp 13 Jan 2018

Aviva and privilidge insured my gf on her own car before she passed, she's 31 though so not sure if that made a difference but I can't see why you would have any trouble. I never had any problems being insured on my own car when I was 17. Once she's passed just phone up and let them know, same as changing your address. Might be worth checking the companies charge for policy amendments isn't extortionate before you sign up as they will charge you for changing her licence type.

It's turned out to be impossible to add her as a named driver to one of my policies, both while she was learning and now she's passed her test which is a PITA. Depending what you drive then if you're renewing yours before she has her test it might be worth factoring that in when you're getting a quote and making sure they'll be happy to add her on at a later date.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...