UKC

Car insurance query

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Wise 14 May 2017
Hi,

Wanted to pick the collective UKC brain.

So, a car ran into me yesterday, they accepted being at fault at the time but as head on I fear it may end up as knock for knock. His landrover suffered no damage so he won't be claiming, my sports car is a write off as low value. I have 3rd party insurance.

What's likely to happen if they dispute liability in terms of paying out and my NCD as they won't be claiming against me.

Andy
 PaulW 14 May 2017
In reply to Wise:

They, and you, need to tell your insurance companies even if you do not need to claim through them.

As you are third party only then you may need to claim directly through their insurance company.

As their car is undamaged your NCD should be OK as there is no claim against your insurance.

If they dispute liability, well that just depends on what other evidence there is, witnesses, photographs Otherwise your word against theirs.
 Dax H 14 May 2017
In reply to Wise:

What's the value of your car? If it is very low the other party might be happy to settle in cash rather than have a claim that will affect his insurance for the next 5 years.
OP Wise 14 May 2017
In reply to Dax H:

Morning all,

It's probably worth about a grand, and I guess it'll cost that to repair, although I am sure that an insurance company will value it much lower than that so probably more than someone would want to pay out in cash. I'm going to offer them that option though.

I'm thinking that my NCD will be OK but I'm sure that my insurance will be going up next year with a claim history.
 Andy Nisbet 14 May 2017
In reply to Wise:

Last time I damaged a car and it was borderline between repair and write-off, the insurance company's valuation was exactly as I'd estimated from car valuing web-sites, almost as if they used them too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...