UKC

Dad getting my search history

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Malloch 03 Apr 2024

My dad wanted me to log in to his Gmail for various reasons, so I’ve now got that on my phone’s gmail app.

Since then he is also getting my google search history popping up on his phone. Any idea how i can stop this happening?

Edit to add that there’s nothing dodgy in there, but it just feels a bit weird!

Post edited at 11:27
 mondite 03 Apr 2024
In reply to James Malloch:

Assume its an android?

Easiest way is probably to log him out of your gmail app and use another email app for his account.

Then clear your search history to tidy up the history.

OP James Malloch 03 Apr 2024
In reply to mondite:

I’m on Apple, he is on Android.

That would make sense, thank you. Any tips on an alternative safe email app?

Luke90 03 Apr 2024

Google like to be able to claim that they have good privacy options, so I'd wager there's a setting somewhere that disables search history, or sharing it between devices, either globally or on a particular device. But Google also don't want people to actually turn those things off, so it'll probably be a pain to find.

The easier option might be to remove his account from the Gmail app and check it using a third-party email app that doesn't integrate with other things like search history at all.

Edit: Got distracted before posting and beaten to it. But at least the advice lines up.

Post edited at 11:41
 dread-i 03 Apr 2024

You can link gmail accounts. Google for 'delegate gmail accounts'. That way you log in as you, but you can switch to his account as needed without a password.

Gmail is pretty safe as an email account goes. They are one of the largest technology firms, at the cutting edge of cyber security. It might be the user is the weak link Whoever you go for, make sure they have multi factor authentication, also know as 2 stage verification, for logins. If someone can take over your email account, they can reset a lot of passwords for other accounts, for example.

ExiledScot 03 Apr 2024

Do they have a sense of humour? Could be fun, "can i book a parent into dignitas", "cheapest care home" "how much does a Russian wife cost"....

Richt79 03 Apr 2024

You need to change your sync options in chrome. You can turn all sync options off or just some, once you find its easy enough to do.

But as others have said make sure your google account is the sign in and there's is the secondary.

ianstevens 03 Apr 2024
In reply to Richt79:

> You need to stop using chrome. You can turn all sync options off or just some, once you find its easy enough to do.

> But as others have said make sure your google account is the sign in and there's is the secondary.

FTFY

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...