UKC

Extinction Rebellion

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dan Arkle 01 Apr 2019

Well UKC? 

Are they a bunch of disruptive tossers, or visionary heroes who will be on the right side of history. 

I suspect its the latter, but I'm too pessimistic to see them achieving much. 

The New NickB 01 Apr 2019
In reply to Dan Arkle:

I can't see tonight's stunt achieving much, I guess it cheered up some of the MPs, which is probably a good thing.

In reply to Dan Arkle:

Can't see anything relevant on BBC news app. Which particular extinction rebels are we talking about...?

tjdodd 01 Apr 2019
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Dan, here's hoping they are visionary heroes who make a difference.  In my current frame of mind though I think it is more likely we will all drown in melting Arctic sea ice before long.

OP Dan Arkle 01 Apr 2019
In reply to captain paranoia:

It's a climate change protest group  They've been stopping traffic, and today went naked in Parliament.

I believe they are right that we need to direct action to keep climate change in the news. Brexit has distracted UK politics for 4 years now. However I doubt their stunts will change anyone's mind in the short term. 

In reply to Dan Arkle:

Doesn't seem to have made the mainstream news (i.e. BBC News). Which is a shame.

> Brexit has distracted UK politics for 4 years now. 

That was predicted... And it will go on for years, I'm afraid.

Ridge 02 Apr 2019

It was on the 10 pm news on ITV. The smattering of MPs debating the country's future couldn't take their eyes off them.

Phil1919 02 Apr 2019
In reply to Dan Arkle:

It was on radio four this morning. The inability to make quick decisive and good decisions over Brexit doesn't really give much confidence that when it comes to pressing climate change issues they will be any better decisions made. As I said before, whilst there is some good stuff going on, it took them years to put 5p on a plastic bag. 

Flinticus 02 Apr 2019
In reply to Dan Arkle:

I'm of a similar outlook. I hope the school children walking out achieves more.

Removed User 02 Apr 2019
In reply to Dan Arkle:

> Well UKC? 

> Are they a bunch of disruptive tossers, or visionary heroes

Visionary tossers?

Larefia 02 Apr 2019

The same group are in Llanberis this weekend

CLIMB FOR THE EARTH. On 8th April, world class climber James McHaffie will mark a new route in Llanberis, Wales. It will be named Extinction Rebellion.

Every day, new voices are joining this movement, rising up to tell the truth about the climate and ecological emergency.

Join James and other climbers: XR Earth Climb and Parade, Llanberis, Wales

Phil1919 02 Apr 2019
In reply to Removed User:

Strange reply.

Phil79 02 Apr 2019
In reply to Larefia:

> CLIMB FOR THE EARTH. On 8th April, world class climber James McHaffie will mark a new route in Llanberis, Wales. It will be named Extinction Rebellion.

Will he be flying to Spain shortly after for a celebratory climbing trip?  

Mike Highbury 02 Apr 2019
In reply to Dan Arkle:> Are they a bunch of disruptive tossers, or visionary heroes who will be on the right side of history. 

In today's political climate, phrases like the right side of history and will of the people should be used rather sparingly, I feel.

summo 02 Apr 2019
In reply to Phil79:

> Will he be flying to Spain shortly after for a celebratory climbing trip?  

Perhaps he'll just settle for a trip up Snowdon on the coal burning train. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...