UKC

Facebook and whatsapp crashed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 girlymonkey 04 Oct 2021

Is it just something wrong with my account or is it down across the board?

I have a vague running plan with a friend tonight and facebook messenger is my only way of contacting her to make arrangements! Whatsapp doesn't seem to be working either. 

Derry 04 Oct 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

crashed. and Instagram

In reply to girlymonkey:

No, its down, globally. All their services. And their share price...

On the same day as the whistleblower is in the news...

malky_c 04 Oct 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Mind’s also buggered.

OP girlymonkey 04 Oct 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Well that's annoying! It turns out there are quite a few people whom I only have Facebook contact for!

Kimono 04 Oct 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Can we blame Brexit?

Shani 04 Oct 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Facebook and whatsapp? Get with it grandma!

The cool* kids are on Signal!

*Nothing to do with 'cool'. It's not a ZuckApp and it *is* more secure.

Post edited at 18:03
 Toerag 04 Oct 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

www.downdetector.co.uk is your friend in times like these.  Looks like a DNS issue.

Derry 04 Oct 2021
In reply to Kimono:

> Can we blame Brexit?

no no no. Boris said we can blame Covid again. 

Toerag 04 Oct 2021
In reply to Shani:

> The cool* kids are on Signal!

It looks like that's been poorly too https://downdetector.co.uk/status/signal/

In reply to Kimono:

Of course not. A junior minister will be along shortly to explain that its all down to covid.

Shani 04 Oct 2021
In reply to Toerag:

> It looks like that's been poorly too https://downdetector.co.uk/status/signal/

Can't get more secure than that!

In reply to Kimono:

Probably Brexit, or maybe the Tories?

Or maybe it's Bill Gates controlling it all through our microchips in our vaccines. Some anti-vaxxers will probably let us know that theirs is fine and this is the government controlling us!

In reply to Toerag:

> Looks like a DNS issue.

DNS or DoS...?

DNS ought to be resolved very quickly.

Post edited at 18:05
 mondite 04 Oct 2021
In reply to captain paranoia:

> DNS ought to be resolved very quickly.

If someone managed to DoS facebook on any noticable scale it would be rather impressive.

Tech sites are saying its DNS but ss for time to recover depends on exactly how they have broken it.

In reply to girlymonkey:

My computer screen suddenly blacked out completely, and everything seemed dead. I got the screen going again, and as my computer resurrected itself I heard, through the computer's speakers, an American lady saying something about Congress! Then everything went straight back to normal, although I now see that Facebook is down. (I wasn't using Facebook at the time; I hardly ever do.) Very weird.

In reply to mondite:

Facebook being down at all is fairly big news. As you say, DoS would be impressive.

A DNS hiccup of this magnitude would also be... impressive...

Maybe they're just purging all the material the whistleblower is commenting about...

In reply to girlymonkey:

It's a big enough issue to have been mentioned on the BBC news at six

Adam Lincoln 04 Oct 2021
In reply to captain paranoia

Pun intended?

In reply to Adam Lincoln:

What do you think...?

In reply to John Stainforth:

What on earth is there to dislike about my post?

Shani 04 Oct 2021

> What on earth is there to dislike about my post?

I wouldn't worry about it John. I too have  downStalker who strikes on some of my most benign posts.

I think of a downStalker's anger like a rock; carrying a rock gets very tiring over time, but it isn't me doing the lifting! 🤣

Tom Valentine 04 Oct 2021

Possibly the slightly sniffy reference to hardly ever using FB, comes across a bit like people who don't own a TV. Only a suggestion, and i wouldn't have said anything if you hadn't asked.

Equally likely is that the mere sight of your name has people  reaching for the thumbs down, certainly the only explanation I can think of when the most innocuous of my posts have been disliked.

> > Looks like a DNS issue.

> DNS or DoS...?

Very good 

Shani 04 Oct 2021
In reply to Tom Valentine:

I agree with your analysis Tom, however have downvoted your post for comedic effect.

timjones 04 Oct 2021

> Equally likely is that the mere sight of your name has people  reaching for the thumbs down, certainly the only explanation I can think of when the most innocuous of my posts have been disliked.

I bought some fella by the name of Tom a beer once, no other Tom has ever had the commoon courtesy to return the favour 

In reply to Toerag:

> It looks like that's been poorly too https://downdetector.co.uk/status/signal/

Peaked at 45 people having a problem. Must have been serious.

Shani 04 Oct 2021
In reply to Currently Resting:

> Peaked at 45 people having a problem. Must have been serious.

Underrated comment. 

mondite 04 Oct 2021

> A DNS hiccup of this magnitude would also be... impressive...

Been a fair few pretty serious DNS issues over the last couple of years Cloudflare, Azure and Akami spring to mind. I guess because its something which normally just works and so doesnt get the loving care which everything else gets just before crashing.

> Maybe they're just purging all the material the whistleblower is commenting about...

So not back up for a couple of weeks then.

Alledgedly.

Jack B 04 Oct 2021

> A DNS hiccup of this magnitude would also be... impressive...

Word on the street is their DNS is down as a result of a configuration cock-up with some of their lower-level routing hardware (BGP).  Which they can no longer access remotely, because they can't route to them. 

A while back I shut-down a computer I was remoted into, and had to bike across town to turn it on again.  I think they are doing the same but on a much grander and more expensive scale.

JoshOvki 04 Oct 2021
In reply to Jack B:

> A while back I shut-down a computer I was remoted into, and had to bike across town to turn it on again.

I did a similar thing but the box was in Germany, and hosting multiple VMs, and it was 3am on a Sunday. Had to call multiple people before someone was willing/able to get out of bed to go and turn it back on, I wasn't popular for a while after that

I have 5 downvotes for my OP too 🤷 people are weird!

Timmd 04 Oct 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

They are weird. I guess this happening is a reminder to gradually get people's phone numbers where possible too, it's often 'a lurking thought' in the back of my mind that such a thing may happen.

Edit: It's not always the easiest thing, though, social norms wise, speaking it almost seems to add an extra layer of disconnectedness, as well as allowing one to connect with more people...

Post edited at 21:16
 Shani 04 Oct 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

> I have 5 downvotes for my OP too 🤷 people are weird!

There do seem to be a lot of bad faith actors on UKC - more in recent years than anything i can remember from the 2000s or 2010s. Don't ever let it get to you - it's just button pressers doing their thing.

However i think my downstaker is a regular.  God knows I think I've had a row with everyone on here at one time or another.

In reply to Shani:

No, it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I have had a down stalker for a long time. More just pointing it out for solidarity with the other poster. 

Some of the things that I have been downvoted on are hilarious! I reckon I could state that the sea is wet and someone would downvote it! Lol

ThunderCat 04 Oct 2021
In reply to Timmd:

I remember being able to reel of all my family and friends telephone numbers off the top of my head when I were a nipper, because you simply had to.  I can still remember my nanna's telephone number and she died about 15 years ago.

I realised how knackered I was when I lost my phone on a train back to Manchester once and had no way of getting in touch with the missus to tell her where I was.  I just didn't know her number.  Had to get a mate to email her,  and arrange to meet her.

The only number I can actually remember these days is my own, and even then I forget that sometimes.

In reply to Timmd:

Yes, I guess it can seem "too pally" if it is someone with whom you first connected through Facebook. Despite the fact that this friend sometimes helps us by dropping in to see our dog if we are out all day, so she knows the code to the keybox for our house! Still don't have her number. Lol

She had a brainwave though and commented on one of my Strava activities so I got an email notification about it. Clever 😊

Shani 04 Oct 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

> No, it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I have had a down stalker for a long time. More just pointing it out for solidarity with the other poster. 

> Some of the things that I have been downvoted on are hilarious! I reckon I could state that the sea is wet and someone would downvote it! Lol

Glad to hear it! 👍

However I'm going to downvote you for comedic effect. Please feel free to reciprocate! 😁

mondite 04 Oct 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

> Yes, I guess it can seem "too pally" if it is someone with whom you first connected through Facebook.

Which might be one of the problems for facebook right now.  if they are mostly working from home then communications might be trickier than usual.

Way back when in the stone ages I worked in Hemel near Buncefield. When that went boom the office was clearly not going to open but since it was pre home working all the contact info wasnt available. So had a quiet morning at home until they finally got to someone who had my number and ended up in a hotel near another office.

A while back someone misconfigured something at google and it needed restoring which wasnt a problem since they had prepared for it and had some special hardware tokens. Only problem was since these were the keys to the kingdom they were stored in a safe and the code was held in a password manager which just happened to be located on the system which went down. So had to get someone out to force entry to the safe.

Post edited at 21:38
 freeflyer 04 Oct 2021
In reply to Jack B:

> remote shutdown - bugger

me too 🙃 the choice was message an onsite colleague and endure aeons of banter or get in the car and drive 150 miles. I had the car keys in hand when I remembered he had admitted to fixing an issue on holiday in a gale while sitting under a table holding the caravan awning which was wrapped around his person and the pc. We had a satisfactory negotiation

broken spectre 04 Oct 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Everything seems to be back online again.

I went from "Oh no, I'm not connected" to "Oh no, I'm connected!"

In reply to broken spectre:

> Everything seems to be back online again.

> I went from "Oh no, I'm not connected" to "Oh no, I'm connected!"

Not for me, My account doesn't seem to exist anymore!

Myfyr Tomos 04 Oct 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Well, that's a shame. 😉

Andy Gamisou 05 Oct 2021
In reply to Shani:

> There do seem to be a lot of bad faith actors on UKC - more in recent years than anything i can remember from the 2000s or 2010s. Don't ever let it get to you - it's just button pressers doing their thing.

There's a lot more users on UKC now so that's pretty much a given.  However, as the like/dislike functionality is a recent phenomenon, how can you know?

BTW: can I have some dislikes please

OP girlymonkey 05 Oct 2021
In reply to Andy Gamisou:

> BTW: can I have some dislikes please

Nope, I'm going to be contrary and give you a like instead! 😜

timjones 05 Oct 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

> No, it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I have had a down stalker for a long time. More just pointing it out for solidarity with the other poster. 

I'm intrigued, if votes don't bother you why have you taken sufficient notice of them to reach the conclusion that you have a "down stalker"?

timjones 05 Oct 2021
In reply to Timmd:

> They are weird. I guess this happening is a reminder to gradually get people's phone numbers where possible too, it's often 'a lurking thought' in the back of my mind that such a thing may happen.

> Edit: It's not always the easiest thing, though, social norms wise, speaking it almost seems to add an extra layer of disconnectedness, as well as allowing one to connect with more people...

It has always been surprising that people are so willing to use messenger for important communications without some form of backup.

In reply to girlymonkey:

Today we celebrate our independence day !

Oh sh1t its back working again................

Tom Valentine 05 Oct 2021
In reply to Shani:

Same comedic effect as took place in my only ever road rage encounter. I was berating a driver who had continually been pipping me for my refusal to overtake a cyclist while passing through a narrow Pennine village. At the next junction I jumped out of the car, walked up to his and we had an argument . It only lasted half a minute but by then a dozen cars were queued up behind him, a hot day and most of them probably had their windows open because when I gave him my parting shot of  "Just ease off on the f*cking horn, you tw*t" and turned around to stalk back to my car, you can probably guess what the entire queue of drivers did next................ 

Duncan Bourne 05 Oct 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

> Or maybe it's Bill Gates controlling it all through our microchips in our vaccines. Some anti-vaxxers will probably let us know that theirs is fine and this is the government controlling us!

Hang on I had my jab on the understanding this sort of thing wouldn't happen. I feel cheated

Toerag 05 Oct 2021
In reply to Jack B:

> Word on the street is their DNS is down as a result of a configuration cock-up with some of their lower-level routing hardware (BGP).  Which they can no longer access remotely, because they can't route to them. 

In-band maintenance access is the stupidest thing ever, only an idiot would rely on the thing that's likely to be broken to get access to fix the thing that's likely to be broken.

Shani 05 Oct 2021

You've just earned a like! 👍 

OP girlymonkey 05 Oct 2021
In reply to timjones:

They don't bother me, but they are at the bottom of the post so you see them if you are checking back on where the conversation in the thread has gone. I notice them in an amused way.

Alkis 05 Oct 2021
In reply to Toerag:

Indeed. I would imagine that after this they are going to deploy a secondary control network that is routed entirely separately. This will almost definitely have been a small f*** up by a single person that was allowed to propagate. The fact that their practices allowed it to propagate is the issue, people screw up constantly, how on Earth did their protocols not catch it?

JohnV 05 Oct 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

You can just turn them off.

Go to User options - Forums - Hide like / dislike.

blackcat 05 Oct 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Didnt bother me either,first time in a long while we managed to have a coversation instead of everyone on theyre mobiles lol.

Timmd 05 Oct 2021
In reply to broken spectre:

> Everything seems to be back online again.

> I went from "Oh no, I'm not connected" to "Oh no, I'm connected!"

I had somebody commenting on a picture of a cat and something else I can't remember as my two notifications, quite funny and apt.

Post edited at 16:00

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...