UKC

Faecal frustration

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 13 Jan 2019

There are several lay-bys around our village. Local people keep these places clear of litter. The lay-bys then usually stay clean. Drivers are able to stop for sandwiches etc and enjoy a clean environment. However, there is at least one individual who regularly defecates openly in prominent positions on the laybys. At present, within the past few days, fresh defecation has taken place on all the lay-bys. Toilet paper is spread around. On Saturday Jan. 12th, a Sainsbury's delivery driver who had parked up for a break was noticed - he had driven through one particular large pile of human faeces. This spreads far and wide, along the road, onto the vehicle, he will deliver shopping, baskets will go on the ground, faeces will be spread to customers driveways and homes. The faeces prevents us safely collecting the litter in some instances.

The regular person or other persons responsible do not deserve to be considered as part of the human race. However, it is not clear what anyone can do to stop this. Perhaps the best solution would be to cordon off and close all the laybys for a couple of months?

Any ideas?

Toby_W 13 Jan 2019
In reply to Removed User:

Borrow an air rifle and set up an ambush sas style.  When the shitter drops their kegs put a pellet in his arse.

just joking, swap for camera and sell picture to local rag.

cheers

Toby

Jenny C 13 Jan 2019

The obvious option is to invest in public toilets (open 24/7) so that people have no need to go on the open.

Edit: although even if caught short I would hope that people would make some effort to find a descrete spot as clearly the middle of a layby is not appropriate.

Post edited at 13:20
 profitofdoom 13 Jan 2019
In reply to Jenny C:

> The obvious option is to invest in public toilets (open 24/7) so that people have no need to go on the open.

Sounds good on the face of it, but a high cost in investment and maintenance.... another option is for people to better plan their rest stop (vocab.?) needs.....

SouthernSteve 13 Jan 2019
In reply to Jenny C:

Although I think this is completely unacceptable. Public toilets are rare these days in many places and when present can be filthy, vandalised and very unpleasant to use and it would be good to see a few more.

SouthernSteve 13 Jan 2019

A big sign saying video surveillance in the area might help ?

Queenie 13 Jan 2019

How about putting up a laminated sign up for the phantom pooer? I did this when a local dogwalker kept chucking her poo bags in a nearby alleyway. She'd been spotted from a distance doing this by a neighbour, though I hadn't personally witnessed it. The sign had a picture of a pair of eyes, described the disgusting offence, told them to stop it and warned that "eyes are watching you". It seemed to do the trick.

Post edited at 13:23
 wintertree 13 Jan 2019

Red ants.  Lots and lots of red ants.

oldie 13 Jan 2019

Re recent outdoor threads perhaps they should use a bag to poo in. Should be much easier to transport than in a rucksack. I imagine many delivery drivers could also do so in the seclusion of their van. As it seems to be be just one or two individuals perhaps put a  temporary notice up in lay-by suggesting alternatives and saying employer etc will be notified if action persists.

Jim Fraser 13 Jan 2019
In reply to profitofdoom:

> Sounds good on the face of it, but a high cost in investment and maintenance.... another option is for people to better plan their rest stop (vocab.?) needs.....

Not a high cost. It is the cost of civilisation. Simple.

Literally, people die because of this shit.

As for drivers planning breaks, I'm sorry but those who design roads and towns in the UK make that harder and harder. More rules for drivers and less facilities to cope with those who are trying to obey those rules. You just need to ask whether you want to live in a civilised world and then the way ahead becomes clear. You will be judged by your toilets and your laybys.

Timmd 13 Jan 2019

Erm, this perhaps isn't very ethical, but placing a hidden nature cam which takes pictures when it sees movement, and putting a laminated picture of the person squatting in the same place they poo might be a satisfying solution, one could blur out their face with it captioned 'Next time your identity will be revealed' ?

It might perturb them into stopping, and still protects their dignity and things...

Edit: It depends how cheesed off you get, you could leave it for the last option?  

Post edited at 14:51
 Tom Valentine 13 Jan 2019
In reply to Jenny C:

What needs to be addressed is why so many public toilets are being closed down.

NaCl 13 Jan 2019

Claymore mines wired to a moisture trigger. They'll only do it the once. 

N.b You'll need someone with a shovel, bucket and a hose afterwards though so probably not much of a labour saving (at least until the word gets out)

rj_townsend 13 Jan 2019

It sounds like the individual is known locally, so worth checking with local police/PCSO what can be done. Most councils have an anti-social behaviour unit so have a google browse for their contact details.

DerwentDiluted 13 Jan 2019
In reply to NaCl:

> Claymore mines wired to a moisture trigger. 

A Kakka Clacker?

Neil Williams 13 Jan 2019

One way to stop it would be for this country to provide a decent quantity and quality of public toilets.  Things have got very bad in this regard, and it's not just s*** in lay-bys that is the worst effect (though why someone would just squat in the middle of the lay-by rather than going into the trees I have no idea) - rather it's the elderly and those with Crohn's and the likes who are either housebound or have to wear adult nappies and basically suffer the indignity of s***ing themselves.

It really does need sorting out.  China puts us to shame in this regard, for example - there's one on every street corner near enough.

Post edited at 18:37
 krikoman 13 Jan 2019

Decaf defecation, or full strength?

Removed User 13 Jan 2019
In reply to Neil Williams:

> One way to stop it would be for this country to provide a decent quantity and quality of public toilets.  ...> It really does need sorting out.  China puts us to shame in this regard, for example - there's one on every street corner near enough.

Thanks for all suggestions, perhaps a sign saying "you are being filmed/watched" or "CCTV" is a good idea. So far as public toilets are concerned, my friend is a National Park Authority Councillor, also town councillor, district and county. They can't afford to maintain toilets in the local town so charges are levied. I can understand that.

What I can't understand, is that we have vastly more money than was available 60 years ago. The national spending budget is £800 billion per year (£2.2 billion per day). Repeat, £2,200 million per day. As a taxpayer, I can see where the budget allocates spending, but I am mystified why the money disappears, yet basic services have insufficient funding.

The Romans' civilisation was based on drainage, straight roads and living on hills.

FactorXXX 13 Jan 2019

> The Romans' civilisation was based on drainage, straight roads and living on hills.

Don't forget about the aqueducts. 

Neil Williams 13 Jan 2019

If there's somewhere to mount them, you could install some fake cameras.  I got some from Amazon for about £4 each after an attempted break-in, and they do look fairly realistic.

I don't mind paying for public toilets (either in taxes or at the point of use) - but given that while completely healthy I seem to have a bladder the size of a shot glass I am genuinely concerned for my ability to enjoy things like public parks when I get older.  And given the number of unemployed people, employing a permanent attendant seems a good way to avoid antisocial behaviour issues and keep them clean.

Post edited at 21:15
 Mike Highbury 14 Jan 2019
In reply to Timmd:

> Erm, this perhaps isn't very ethical, but placing a hidden nature cam which takes pictures when it sees movement, and putting a laminated picture of the person squatting in the same place they poo might be a satisfying solution, one could blur out their face with it captioned 'Next time your identity will be revealed' ?

Given their expertise in the area, I’m a bit surprised that Alan J or a mod. hasn’t jumped in with a gentle warning about the risk of a breach of GDPR or the Data Protection Act.

Timmd 14 Jan 2019
In reply to Mike Highbury:

Perhaps they don't approve either.

MikeSP 14 Jan 2019
In reply to Timmd:

> Perhaps they don't approve either.

Shouldn't that be a poo ve.

I'll get my coat

J1234 14 Jan 2019
In reply to Tom Valentine:

> What needs to be addressed is why so many public toilets are being closed down.

I seem to remember that many got closed because sexual activity was taking place. My cynical older self now wonders is this was not something over egged by councils, because they wanted to close them
Its funny, when people often have concerns about going to third world countries and they will go on for toilets, when infact we live in one of the most developed countries in the world, and if you are caught short, you risk arrest for peeing (or worse) in a back alley, or soil yourself.

In reply to J1234:

> I seem to remember that many got closed because sexual activity was taking place.

The other excuse was disability equality. Rather than add accessibility features to existing public toilets, they simply argued that it couldn't be done/wasn't cost-effective, and, in order not to discriminate, they closed down the toilet facilities that "couldn't be adapted". If everyone gets caught short, that's not discriminatory, is it...?

In reply to Mike Highbury:

> a gentle warning about the risk of a breach of GDPR or the Data Protection Act.

Does photographing someone in a public place, and then displaying that photograph in public fall under the GDPR?

wintertree 14 Jan 2019
In reply to captain paranoia:

> Does photographing someone in a public place, and then displaying that photograph in public fall under the GDPR?

Not if you do so as a private individual, no.  

If you did it in any sort of official capacity I that would be a possible problem.  I’d relish the test case around shaming public poopers being a reasonable use of one of the reasons for Processing without explicit consent.

mik82 14 Jan 2019
In reply to profitofdoom:

There simply aren't enough public toilets for people to plan their journeys in this manner. There a quite a lot of people who have unpredictable bladders/bowels and if there's no toilet close by, well unfortunately they have to go somewhere in the open.  

Removed User 14 Jan 2019
In reply to mik82:

> , well unfortunately they have to go somewhere in the open.  

That's fine, but instead of going somewhere away from paths, water, lay-bys, parking areas or behind a wall in a field, AND covering it carefully - what to these animals do? They go in an open layby where people stop to have sandwiches, take a break, possibly with children. Disgraceful. These people are not part of the human race.

Tom Valentine 14 Jan 2019

You don't live near Appleby, do you? Otherwise you'd be used to it.

In reply to wintertree:

> If you did it in any sort of official capacity 

The police, and news agencies seem to manage to get away with posting pictures and CCTV footage of criminal activity. Or even non-criminal activity.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...