UKC

First Aid course recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Luke90 21 May 2021

Any recommendations for outdoor First Aid courses please folks? I've been to quite a few over the years that have varied from genuinely entertaining and useful ways to spend a weekend through to brain-meltingly dreary and formulaic.

Stockport based so probably Peak area.

Myfyr Tomos 21 May 2021
In reply to Luke90:

Have a look at REC First Aid (Rescue Emergency Care). It's a UK wide provider of excellent, practical, hands-on training. They use regional trainers and run superb courses - I've done many with Kath Wills here in North Wales and they've all been great. Recommended. 

Iggy_B 21 May 2021
In reply to Luke90:

I did last week with Peak Mountaineering in Bamford. Sixth renewal for me so quite jaded with the things, it was really well run, we were outside as much as possible and the time flew.

Dave B 22 May 2021
In reply to Iggy_B:

Can I ask what changes were made on your course to make it 'covid safe'? 

Iggy_B 22 May 2021
In reply to Dave B:

Compared to pre-covid days - a lot more of the practical things were done on the Annie mannequin of which everyone had one to themselves. For the skills which required a partner, you had the same partner all course and only worked on them outside with a mask and gloves.

Group size seemed reduced and the classroom was huge, doors and windows always open, seats metres apart. Bottles of hand sanitizer everywhere. It felt as well thought through as possible. But a lot of outdoor time helped.

Dave B 22 May 2021
In reply to Iggy_B:

Thanks... I just wanted to see what other groups were doing. 

I have the added challenge that everyone needs to be assessed on baby, child and adult CPR, so I need to clean and change lungs of baby for each person...

Bandaging on your own leg? 

Its much harder to do scenarios isn't it...

OP Luke90 23 May 2021
In reply to Myfyr Tomos and Iggy_B:

Thanks both, appreciate your thoughts.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...