UKC

Good news for us humans - The Exercise drug

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-47331544

Studies suggest regular exercise is more effective than any drug yet invented to prevent conditions facing older people, such as muscle loss.

Analysing the world record performance times of each age group unsurprisingly reveals that physical ability does ultimately diminish, the older you get - but doesn't fall off rapidly until after the age of 70.

Timmd 20 Mar 2019
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

That's pretty cool, I guess the higher the point you fall off from at 70 the better too.

Neil Williams 20 Mar 2019

It's also addictive.  I'm injured and can't run at the moment, and I'm genuinely feeling withdrawal symptoms

Post edited at 17:15
 Timmd 20 Mar 2019
In reply to Neil Williams:

Yeah, somebody's posts on here about being healthful (iirc) rather than super fit stick in my mind, he was talking about friends who'd done Iron Man events and ended up with joint and connective tissue problems, and was more in favour of 'a middle way' between sloth and being super fit - towards keeping active for all of one's life. 

That's why I like cycling and it's low impact on the joints. I'll never be in super-shape, but baring being struck down by something awful I'll hopefully always be healthy. I've kinda been through the tangle you're in with climbing during my teens, and it was no fun, I hope you recover soon.

Post edited at 17:27
 Neil Williams 20 Mar 2019
In reply to Timmd:

I can climb, fortunately...but that doesn't give you quite the same type of endorphins!

Cycling may be an option, the thing is I've always seen it as a mode of transport and don't for some reason enjoy it anywhere near as much as running as a thing in itself.

girlymonkey 20 Mar 2019

We bought my husband's granny a new camping mat for her 86th birthday for the 2 weeks camping and hiking she was doing in America! Granted, she didn't carry an exped pack, they drove to campsite, set up camp and walked from there. Still, at 86 that's pretty good going. She will be 88 this year and still highly active. 

I'm hoping I can inherit her genes through marriage!

bouldery bits 20 Mar 2019
In reply to Neil Williams:

> It's also addictive.  I'm injured and can't run at the moment, and I'm genuinely feeling withdrawal symptoms

Go swimming.

Michael Hood 21 Mar 2019
In reply to bouldery bits:

My dad still swims 40 lengths (1km) twice a week; lots slower than he used to be but he's 95.

One of those lengths he does without breathing (about 50 seconds). Hasn't got the density to still do it underwater

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...