UKC

Good vacuum for DIY

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jasonC abroad 09 May 2018

Hello

As the title says does anyone have any good recommendations for a vacuum that can deal with general DIY?  I'm going to have to pull down some old lath and plaster ceilings and think a good vacuum that can deal with lots of dust and paint stripped from walls etc would be a great help.  I was thinking of getting the Bosch AdvancedVac 20 Wet and Dry, if anyone has any knowledge of that.

Thanks in advance

Jason

Sean_J 09 May 2018
In reply to jasonC abroad:

Henry - cheap and cheerful, not afraid of a bit of dust either. Mine has done two house renovations and it's good as new!

sbc23 09 May 2018

The numatic stuff (Henry etc.) is very good and not expensive. They last for ages and the parts are cheap if you ever need them. The next models up (Charles/George VE/VC370) wet vac too. Use the hepaflo bags for fine dust, the filters last a lot longer. 

As a business, we strip plaster & lath on a large scale. If you have a lot to do, genuinely consider buying an air-fed hood, rather than using goggles & dust masks. They are relatively expensive but you can work completely isolated from the dust, with eye protection and a cool stream of air across your face. No long term lung damage. Best value is the 'JSP Constructor Kit Complete' bought from sitebox ltd uk. 

gethin_allen 09 May 2018
In reply to sbc23:

This sounds luxurious, i stripped out an old ceiling and despite wearing a proper cartridge dust mask I still ended up with black snot at the end of the day and I was sweating like a pig all day while working.

marsbar 09 May 2018

Wickes do one. Worth comparing.  

OP jasonC abroad 09 May 2018
In reply to sbc23:

Cheers that sounds like good advice.

Lusk 09 May 2018
In reply to gethin_allen:

Next time you rip an old ceiling down, if you've got access, saturate it from above with gallons of diluted PVA the day before.

Bugger all dust

estivoautumnal 09 May 2018

Henry again. Cheap and reliable.

Dax H 09 May 2018
In reply to gethin_allen:

It doesn't matter how good the mask is, if it doesn't fit it won't work. Anyone who uses a mask should be face fit. 

George Fisher 09 May 2018

I have a very expensive Festool vac, it's great, it does all kinds of fancy stuff like turning itself on when I start up a power tool and extracts the dust from said tool.

...get a henry hoover.

Dax H 09 May 2018
In reply to sbc23:

JSP stuff is excellent. I'm trying to convince myself that the new JSP infinity would be a good buy but at 1k it's a bit much for something I will only use for a couple of hours a month..

To the Op,  ess safe force will hire out the infinity powered respirator for about £100 a week. Not sure if they hire to the public but its worth an ask. 

Jim Lancs 09 May 2018

They've just had workshop vacuum cleaners in Aldi. I  noticed there were a few left in our branch this morning.

OP jasonC abroad 10 May 2018

Thanks to all, looks like I will get some sort of Henry, always better to get a recommendation.  Thanks

Green Porridge 10 May 2018

I built a boat using a Kärcher (I think WD3) wet/dry hoover which I think is great. For just under £100, it does wet/dry and has a socket on it, which is brilliant if you're sanding/power sawing as it turns on when you turn the sander on, and turns off about 3 seconds after you've turned the sander off. Works great as a normal vacuum too. I'd certainly get it again for that kind of thing.

snoop6060 10 May 2018

I got a wet and dry one from Screwfix for 34quid. Can't fault it. Seems the same as the Henry I used to have. Great for the car. 

Rigid Raider 10 May 2018

We killed two inferior vacs while doing house renovation and now we have a Henry, which is coping perfectly well with everything. It's affordable, simple, robust, has a good capacity and sucks like a... like a...  sucking thing.

Columbia753 14 May 2018

Workies use Henry vacs. They are robust have a wind in cable and are fixable.

Job done

Toccata 14 May 2018

Certainly not anything from Miele. I broke two with plaster dust before I realised that a) it clogged the dust filter burning the motor out and b) I’m clearly an idiot.

Reach>Talent 14 May 2018
In reply to snoop6060:

Screwfix ones are pretty good but I ended up getting a cyclone interceptor because it got swamped with really dusty jobs (table saw + 18mm mdf) 

JuneBob 15 May 2018

I had a Henry in the UK and it was fine, but it's not easily available in Norway, so I have a Karcher WD 4 Premium, and it's fantastic. I'm renovating (read, rebuilding) a 200yo wooden house, and it extracts dust and dirt quickly from pretty much anywhere. I used it to suck up a large amount of plaster chunks too, no problem.
The bags aren't advertised as re-usable, but they definitely are, it's just a bit of a faff emptying them.

Karcher is the default brand for cleaning machines here in Norway.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...