UKC

Has spring arrived

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kipper12 23 Feb 2020

Out topping the bird feeders earlier and heard a frog calling in the pond.  First of this year for me.  Happy days

In reply to kipper12:

I do hope so - the last 12 months have felt like a perpetual monsoon.

I always underestimate winter. The never ending dankness.

Spring is the best season - it's all in front of you

Post edited at 09:53
 Wimlands 23 Feb 2020
In reply to kipper12:

We’ve had frogs spawn as early as the first week of February so doesn’t count as spring for me...I reckon it’s the sound of the first returning Chiffchaff...hopefully in mid March for us.

In reply to Wimlands:

The birds are now singing up in wester ross thrushes tits, greenfinch, chaffinches, dunnocks so far.mind you we have 10 days of sleet and snow showers forecast down on the coast. The mountains may get a bit of winter yet!

OP kipper12 23 Feb 2020
In reply to JJ Krammerhead III:

The black headed gulls are starting to adopt their breeding head gear now.

GrahamD 23 Feb 2020
In reply to kipper12:

We had daffodils in the third week of January, and I'm sure I saw some bee nesting activity in the roof of next door's boiler house yesterday

Dax H 23 Feb 2020
In reply to kipper12:

Some of our frogs are back too. Only seen a few though and not the hundred or so we normally have. No spawn yet either and I class that as a good thing. A mild winter often leads to early spawning then when the pond freezes it kills the spawn. 

yorkshireman 23 Feb 2020
In reply to kipper12:

Feels more like summer. I'm at 1200m altitude just outside Grenoble and the temperature officially hit 19.1º today according to Météo Grenoble. I was outside in the garden most of the day in shorts and flipflops - in the sun it felt 10 degrees hotter.

The ski stations are soldiering on bravely but it hasn't been worth going for a ski in a couple of weeks (at least when its on your doorstep and you can be picky). Its meant to get more wintry over the next couple of weeks with a few snow showers forceast from Tuesday but we've had the majority of days being clear, sunny and warm (in the sun anyway) since the middle of December.

coinneach 23 Feb 2020
In reply to yorkshireman:

The snowdrap drips

The Crocus croaks

And in my little windae box

A yella daffy hings it's heed

Oh daffy, must you hing your heed?

Could you no heed your hing?

Far easier it would be to rhyme

Your heeding hing wi Spring!

Lemony 23 Feb 2020
In reply to kipper12:

Picked hogweed and ramsons for last night’s tea. It’s definitely trying!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...