UKC

How often/long do you walk your dog.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 arch 21 Sep 2013
Following on from the "Keeping a Dog" thread. I was just wondering how often/long the UKC dog owners walk their dogs. I was out earlier today with my Daughter and we discussed this whilst out with my two.

I try to give them an hour off the lead walk every day followed by a 20 minutes pee walk last thing. If I'm off work, I'll get out for an off the lead walk at least twice a day and the pee walk as well. During the day, they have the run of the garden.
OP arch 21 Sep 2013
In reply to arch: ..........To add, I also work my two as well.
 Queenie 21 Sep 2013
In reply to arch:

My two get 1/2 hr morning and again in the evening: of those walks, off-lead 2 or 3 times a week in the park. On Sundays they usually get couple of hours' run off-lead.
James Jackson 21 Sep 2013
In reply to arch:

Mine live on a farm, and spend the day mooching around the stable yard, coming and going as they please, heading out to the fields with people going to catch horses, etc.
 Banned User 77 21 Sep 2013
In reply to arch: Fly, she's now with my parents as I'm Germany based but unsuitable for a collie.. would get 20-30 mins morning and night.. then most days an hours run. As she aged I'd give her days off.
 Bimble 21 Sep 2013
In reply to arch:

Mine have been out for 5hrs today, all around the forest.

On weekdays, 90mins intensive in the mornings, and around 2hrs at night. Good for them & me.
The new cocker isn't being worked this season, but he will be next year if he keeps on training well.
 toad 21 Sep 2013
In reply to arch: With the adult dog I aim for at least an hour morning and evening. Sometimes it's 30 mins AM, depends on work
 Mike_d78 21 Sep 2013
In reply to arch: our lab gets about half an hour morning, noon & night. More at the weekend. Also general play time with the kids. This about as much as we have time for.

Regards
 abr1966 21 Sep 2013
In reply to arch: mine gets15 minutes round the block in the morning during the week. Evenings vary based on wat time of year....when its light enough its usually 3 times a week on the hill for an hour or so and longer walks at the weekend. I always give her a good walk on sunday.......mine is a border terrier so she's usually more relaxed and tired after half an hour chasing a ball on the field than long walks.
Sometimes shedoesntget a walk but chases a ball in the garden......
 mark s 21 Sep 2013
In reply to arch: an hour today,last time Thursday.not every day as a rule.
 jimjimjim 21 Sep 2013
In reply to arch: my little aging sbt cutie get about 40min s a day. When she's ready to go home she lets me know. I think young dogs should get at least an hour a day. Boarder collies and the like even more, they can do miles and miles a day no problem.
 Tall Clare 21 Sep 2013
In reply to arch:

Lotta gets three quarters of an hour off lead morning and evening, and playing in the field during the day. At the moment she's on lead walks because she's in heat.
RCJ 21 Sep 2013
In reply to arch:

When i had a dog, had to re-home due to job change and working away from home too much..

I use to run 5miles at 6am.. quick 30min walk during lunch.. and a 2 hour walk at night. Plus any other bike/run use to go on, dog use to run at side. Damn thing was never tired.
 jimjimjim 21 Sep 2013
In reply to RCJ: birds fly, fish swim and dogs walk
 MJ 22 Sep 2013
In reply to jimjimjim:

birds fly, fish swim and dogs walk

...and jimjimjim, talks the talk.
 Chambers 22 Sep 2013
In reply to arch: I never walk my dog. Don't feed it, either. Just as well I don't have one, or the RSPCA would be after me.
 yorkshireman 22 Sep 2013
In reply to arch:

Obviously the 'correct' amount will be dependent on the age/breed/temperament of the dog.

We've got a two year old border collie, so obviously he needs a lot of exercise. I run almost every day through the local forest trails with him off the lead for about an hour.

He also gets another 30-40 minute walk off the lead after work.

Both me and my wife are lucky enough to mostly work from home, so several times a day we'll take him out into our back field and spend 10 minutes throwing a frisbee, which he adores.

It's not just the exercise (especially with Collies), it's the mental stimulation and the feeling of 'doing a job' in the pack. The morning run/walk is important as it's meant to simulate the daily territorial roaming instinct in dogs. Although we've got lots of land, we can't just use leaving him free to run around as an excuse not to engage with the dog.

It's all topped off with a before-bed 10 minute walk for a pee.
 toad 22 Sep 2013
In reply to arch: I've been up since early o'clock with the pup. It's a week before I can walk him outside and he's climbing the walls. It isn't just about exercise, it's about the stimulus and the social interaction as well. We are both gettting somewhat frustrated!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...