UKC

Interesting / obscure facts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ThunderCat 27 Nov 2021

Talking about old TV adverts today and we got on to the old "Charley says..." series.

Wikipedia says that Kenny Everett did the voice for the cat.  I never knew that.

Can anyone do better? 

I appreciate that half you young buggers won't even know what I'm talking about. 

Hooo 27 Nov 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

The Green Cross man went on to play Darth Vader, but they got someone else to do the voice.

Come over to the dark side Luke... But make sure you look both ways before you cross.

OP ThunderCat 27 Nov 2021
In reply to Hooo:

I believe there were three people involved in Vader. Dave Prowse aka the green cross code man for most of the scenes, James Earl Jones for the voice, and another guy for the fight scenes.

I think Prowse had a strong West Country accent. Probably why they chose James Earl Jones?

"all royt moi boi, oym yorrr farrrrrrther" probably didn't scan right 😂

Bottom Clinger 27 Nov 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

A classic: Joe and Petunia...

youtube.com/watch?v=FXoGLOlnWT0&

wercat 28 Nov 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

Bob Monkhouse was the voice of one of the puppet crew of Zero X Mars mission in the Big screen Thunderbirds are Go in the 1960s, sitting near a big oscilloscope screen.  It was great when he said "we are leaving Earth's atmosphere" just as the sky darkened and the stars appeared

I believe Joe Brown was involved in one of the stunts

Post edited at 12:34
 Martin W 28 Nov 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

> I believe there were three people involved in Vader. Dave Prowse aka the green cross code man for most of the scenes, James Earl Jones for the voice, and another guy for the fight scenes.

The stunt man for Prowse in the light sabre duels in episodes V and VI was the production team's sword-fighting choreographer Bob Anderson.  The story is that Prowse kept breaking the prop light sabres.

Are you forgetting Sebastian Shaw, who Dave Prowse was (allegedly) p*ed off to find played played the character under the mask at the end of Return of the Jedi?  Although Shaw was billed as playing the role of Anakin Skywalker, since we only see him after Vader has "redeemed" himself by killing the Emperor.

And that's only in the original trilogy.  Wiki has a lengthy list of actors who have portrayed Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker, either in person or as voice actors:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darth_Vader

Post edited at 13:53
OrangeBob 28 Nov 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

I prefer Everybody in the Place

broken spectre 28 Nov 2021
In reply to OrangeBob:

Prodigy at it's finest

Toerag 29 Nov 2021
In reply to OrangeBob:

> I prefer Everybody in the Place

'155 and rising' mix of that is awesome, a real 'ok lets go bonkers' track.

Timmd 29 Nov 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

I like the fact that dragonflies used to be larger because there was more oxygen in the atmosphere, meaning their bodies could be larger for a given amount of efficiency (in layman's terms). 

Post edited at 13:39
 Tom Valentine 29 Nov 2021
In reply to Timmd:

Does that explain Wagon Wheels as well?

mountainbagger 29 Nov 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

Sir Ilyn Payne in Game of Thrones is played by Wilko Johnson (from band Dr Feelgood).

But...what is really fascinating and a "feel good" story is this: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/jul/10/wilko-johnson-interview-ive-g...

Remarkable insight into his reaction to being told he would die...and then not dying.

petegunn 29 Nov 2021
In reply to Hooo:

David Prowse came to our primary school as the green cross code man

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...