UKC

Joe Lycett. He just gets better and better

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 13 Nov 2022

If Joe went into politics, I'm betting he would be a force to be reckoned with. And if I was David Beckham or any football pundit right now, I'd hang my head in shame if I took blood money from Qatar just now.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/joe-lycett-gay-icon-david-beckham-qatar-world-cup...

wilkie14c 13 Nov 2022
In reply to The Lemming:

I do like JL a lot but if he really does shred the cash, it may well backfire. Better to donate to foodbanks or something. Shredding ten grand on a livestream when people are struggling will come across a bit c#ntish. 

Good to raise awareness of the qatar thing though. I’m a huge footy fan and have been all my life but I’m boycotting the world cup for obvious reasons. 

OP The Lemming 13 Nov 2022
In reply to wilkie14c:

I hate football, so it won't be a great shame if I don't watch.

But for the rest of the world, shame on you.

12 years of slave labour and deaths to build shrines to footballing cash-cow money makers and only now people are questioning what has happened?

Maggot 13 Nov 2022
In reply to The Lemming:

I'm partial to a bit of footie, but I'm not going to be shamed for my like of it. Qatar's pretty much like the rest of the world, it's all about the money, we all know what's going on there. Bollocks to this world cup. Qatar and football,  it's a joke. Hopefully they'll get totally thrashed with a double figure score in the opening match 😂😂😂

And for bonus self righteous points, I haven't  consumed any Coca-Cola or McDonald's products for decades.

wilkie14c 13 Nov 2022
In reply to Maggot:

> And for bonus self righteous points, I haven't  consumed any Coca-Cola or McDonald's products for decades.

I wish my morals were as strong as yours! 🤪

birdie num num 14 Nov 2022
In reply to The Lemming:

I really don't understand why anybody likes football.

Its a business program. If you turn over to another channel you may find some sport on.

john arran 14 Nov 2022
In reply to birdie num num:

> I really don't understand why anybody likes football.

Not understanding why someone likes football is understandable. Not appreciating that others may have perfectly reasonable likes and dislikes that differ greatly from your own is quite another.

jkarran 14 Nov 2022
In reply to The Lemming:

> 12 years of slave labour and deaths to build shrines to footballing cash-cow money makers and only now people are questioning what has happened?

Lots of people have questioned the choice of Qatar and their working conditions related to the stadia builds over the past decade, which is more than can be said for the gas industry on which we suckle. Football is briefly shining a light on Qatar but it'll move on in a few weeks and mostly what we'll see is the glitter.

jk

Post edited at 09:02
 Harry Jarvis 14 Nov 2022
In reply to wilkie14c:

> I do like JL a lot but if he really does shred the cash, it may well backfire. Better to donate to foodbanks or something. Shredding ten grand on a livestream when people are struggling will come across a bit c#ntish. 

The headline is somewhat misleading in this regard. Shredding it certainly would be a mistake, but in the article, Lycett is quoted"

"If you end your relationship with Qatar, I'll donate this £10,000 of my own money - that's a grand for every million you're reportedly getting - to charities that support queer people in football."

I tend to agree that donating to foodbanks would be better, but then, I've never had to deal with the prejudices faced by gay people, and given the context, Lycett's choice is not inappropriate. 

FactorXXX 14 Nov 2022
In reply to Harry Jarvis:

> The headline is somewhat misleading in this regard. Shredding it certainly would be a mistake, but in the article, Lycett is quoted"

> "If you end your relationship with Qatar, I'll donate this £10,000 of my own money - that's a grand for every million you're reportedly getting - to charities that support queer people in football."

He also continued with:
“However, if you do not I will throw the money into a shredder at midday next Sunday, just before the opening ceremony of the World Cup and stream it right here. Not just the money, but also your status as a gay icon will be shredded.”
https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2022/nov/13/joe-lycett-to-shred-10000-i...

Harry Jarvis 14 Nov 2022
In reply to FactorXXX:

> He also continued with:“However, if you do not I will throw the money into a shredder at midday next Sunday, just before the opening ceremony of the World Cup and stream it right here. Not just the money, but also your status as a gay icon will be shredded.”https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2022/nov/13/joe-lycett-to-shred-10000-i...

Ah, fair enough, I didn't read that. If he does shred it, he is an idiot, 

Ciro 14 Nov 2022
In reply to Harry Jarvis:

> Ah, fair enough, I didn't read that. If he does shred it, he is an idiot, 

TBH, I think £10k is pretty cheap for the amount of publicity for international LGBTQ abuses that this livestreaming (and it's attendant public shaming of a prominent UK figure involved in Qatar's sportwashing) will generate.

jkarran 14 Nov 2022
In reply to The Lemming:

It's a high risk protest. In fact I'm not sure how Lycett makes it out of this without backing down or looking like a right prick shredding money earmarked for a good cause in a time of hardship. Unless of course it's alongside a profusely thankful Beckham, the scales shed from his eyes. I don't fancy those odds.

jk

Post edited at 13:57
OP The Lemming 14 Nov 2022
In reply to jkarran:

> It's a high risk protest. In fact I'm not sure how Lycett makes it out of this without backing down or looking like a right prick shredding money earmarked for a good cause in a time of hardship. Unless of course it's alongside a profusely thankful Beckham, the scales shed from his eyes. I don't fancy those odds.

> jk

Or he shreds paper, gets the publicity, gets Beckham to think about his gig, and then gives the money to charity?

jkarran 14 Nov 2022
In reply to The Lemming:

> Or he shreds paper, gets the publicity, gets Beckham to think about his gig, and then gives the money to charity?

The shredded money?

10k is neither here nor there in context, if Lycett shreds it then Beckham and or his fans will replace it many times over but still, it's not a good look given where we are to be making a show of shredding money earmarked for a good cause when so many are struggling. It's the sort of thing, like queue jumping, that could kill a career in a moment.

We'll see soon enough how this plays out, my bet is on Beckham blanking him, Lycett shredding the money, the public really not getting it gifting the opportunity for the rightwing press to metaphorically kick the shit out of Lycett.

jk

john arran 14 Nov 2022
In reply to jkarran:

'Of course I was never going to shred the cash, but it's interesting to note that Beckham would happily have let me do so rather than address the issue. The cash will go to charity.'

In reply to jkarran:

> The shredded money?

Shred Monopoly money or similar fake money rather than the KLF burning £1m.

jkarran 14 Nov 2022
In reply to john arran:

> 'Of course I was never going to shred the cash, but it's interesting to note that Beckham would happily have let me do so rather than address the issue. The cash will go to charity.'

I'm not sure that would go down much better, it looks like a lack of integrity/sincerity even if objectively it makes sense. You're right, it's probably his least worst option assuming the protest fails to shift Beckham.

jk

jkarran 14 Nov 2022
In reply to The Lemming:

> Shred Monopoly money or similar fake money rather than the KLF burning £1m.

I think when the point being made is in part at least about personal integrity then not doing what he said he would puts him on pretty shaky ground. It's got people talking but I think it's very high risk.

jk

steveriley 14 Nov 2022
In reply to The Lemming:

Not a big footie fan but I flipping love watching athletics on the telly. The World Champs in Qatar 2019 were disappointing. Empty stadiums, no atmosphere. They were bussing 'fans' in with free tickets to cover for the empty seats (even after a lot of the seating was covered over). Treating the athletes like performing monkeys - the marathon started at midnight on a dull looped course. Air conditioning an outdoor stadium is an environmental disgrace, you might as well set fire to bundles of cash far bigger than Joe Lycett's. I'm hoping the business supertanker organising bodies have become start to recognise that events like this have to have more meaning than the just the host with the deepest wallets..

birdie num num 14 Nov 2022
In reply to john arran:

The first part of you post was very true.

The second part supposition 

Graham Booth 14 Nov 2022
In reply to The Lemming:

Poor David is short of a bob or two…erm hang on?

Myr 14 Nov 2022
In reply to wilkie14c:

> I do like JL a lot but if he really does shred the cash, it may well backfire. Better to donate to foodbanks or something. Shredding ten grand on a livestream when people are struggling will come across a bit c#ntish. 

I know it's not the intention here, nor would it ever be perceived in a positive light, but destroying cash actually reduces the rate of inflation.

In reply to Myr:

> I know it's not the intention here, nor would it ever be perceived in a positive light, but destroying cash actually reduces the rate of inflation.

in a similar way that my gravitational mass interacts and effects the gravitational mass of the earth?

A relationship so imperceptible as to be zero effect.

wilkie14c 21 Nov 2022
In reply to john arran:

Executed perfectly, had us all over in the end and had everyone talking about the stunt and why.

Bravo Joe

Duncan Bourne 21 Nov 2022
In reply to wilkie14c:

Update. He didn't shred the cash

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-63703831

On Monday, Lycett confirmed he had in fact donated the money to charity.

He said destroying the cash would have been "irresponsible".

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...