UKC

Kestrel nesting.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jimtitt 18 Apr 2019

A pair of kestrels have decided to nest in the gable end of my house 5ft from my office window, didn't realise they were so noisy! Certainly aren't shy, the cats, dogs, motorbikes, lawnmower and the rest don't seem to be of any interest.

McHeath 18 Apr 2019
In reply to jimtitt:

I'm jealous! Any chance of setting up a webcam with live streaming exclusive for UKC?

Michael Hood 18 Apr 2019
In reply to jimtitt:

Sounds unusual but presumably, like peregrines, there can be a vast difference in their tolerance to human activity.

Anyway, enjoy the opportunity.

Billhook 18 Apr 2019
In reply to jimtitt:

You are extremely privileged.  I've had a kestrel box up for three years and so far no luck.

McHeath 19 Apr 2019
In reply to Billhook:

The trick is to make sure you don't mount them with the entrance hole at the back.

Billhook 19 Apr 2019
In reply to McHeath:

Ha Ha,  Nice reply though!  (I'll check its the right way around tomorrow.)

Removed User 20 Apr 2019
In reply to jimtitt:

I was sitting on a belay ledge once on the Wasted and a Falcon chick fell out of its nest and landed in my lap. Got it back in the nest to join its siblings despite being harried by its parents.

Andy Gamisou 23 Apr 2019
In reply to jimtitt:

If you think they're noisy now, wait until they have chicks that are close to fledging.  Have a couple of piccies of the ones that have nested at our place for the last several years.  The size of the talons on the chick is mind boggling (admittedly my mind is easily boggled).  I

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-ubn1C8Vqp0tCfaqteG0Oo4UrN-Y6OMr?us...

I keep meaning to set up a kestrel cam, but my only attempt at this ended in failure.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...