UKC

Lost Passport

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 30 Nov 2018

Although I haven't got any urgent travel plans I seem to have mislaid my passport.

Has anyone on UKC had to apply(non urgently) for a replacement passport? I believe I can do it on line. Just wondering what happens.

Thanks for any info

Wiley Coyote2 30 Nov 2018
In reply to Removed UserBoingBoing:

It's a while since I did it so can't help you there but I'd advise you to get on with it asap. A friend who has sent his in has been told there is a considerable backlog at the moment. No idea why but I'd surmise it is because of having to process all the EU people who need to change their status pre-Brexit and perhaps staff have been diverted to that , That is just a guess but, whatever the reason, apparently it may take a few weeks if you are unlucky

Doug 30 Nov 2018

happened to me once, after ringing the British Consulate in Paris, I went to the consulate, filled in an application for a replacement (which included a statement that I had lost the old one, luckily I had a note of its number & issue date) which I picked up a couple of days later. That was some years ago when some consulates & embassies issued passports, I guess now you just apply on line & make sure you fill in the section explaining why you can't produce the old passport.

Removed User 30 Nov 2018
In reply to Wiley Coyote2:

Thanks. Just at the moment I'm looking in all the likely places at home where it might have been put and forgotten. I know I had it about 3-4 weeks ago for ID purposes and normally I keep it in a secure drawer. I obviously didn't put it back there although I know I brought it home.

Removed User 30 Nov 2018
In reply to Doug:

> luckily I had a note of its number & issue date)

I usually keep a copy of the page with personal details on - for emergency purposes so at least I know the number.

Jenny C 30 Nov 2018

Yes no use to the OP now, but I have a scan of the photo page on my Gmail account so (in theory) I always have the info available to me. 

Enty 30 Nov 2018

It's easy. I got mine nicked in Barcelona. I just followed the guidelines on the Gov.uk website. They advise a minimum of 3 week wait but I got mine back in less than a week.

Costs 75 quid like

On the brightside I have a Burgundy one with EU stamped on it until 2027

E

Post edited at 17:06
 climber34neil 30 Nov 2018

I did this earlier this year, if like me you needed it quickly you have to book an appointment at a passport office then pay the fee on line, (think it was about £120, but maybe more now), go to the appointment to take all details and forms in then I got the passport in about 3 days 

Welsh Kate 30 Nov 2018

I endorsed a passport application and photo this morning for someone who'd lost theirs. He's had to go through the full application process again, and fill out a section on the form explaining what happened to the lost one. Apart from the fact that this is an emergency so he's had to make an appointment at the passport office to get his processed, it seems no harder than applying for your first passport.

marsbar 30 Nov 2018

Have you looked behind the cabinets?  

Rog Wilko 03 Dec 2018

It'll turn up the minute you pay for a new one. Have you been through your trouser pockets yet?

steve taylor 03 Dec 2018
In reply to climber34neil:

177 now - hopefully picking mine up in 3 weeks!

> Although I haven't got any urgent travel plans I seem to have mislaid my passport.

So the rest of the world is safe for a short while then ?

Toerag 03 Dec 2018
In reply to Enty:

> On the brightside I have a Burgundy one with EU stamped on it until 2027

I wonder what'll happen with Brexit - will we all be issued with new ones? Will those of us with old photos be asked to submit new ones and all the hassles that entails?

balmybaldwin 03 Dec 2018
In reply to Toerag:

Not to mention which queue do we use...  At the moment it looks like I too will be an EU passport holder until 2027 so I fully intend to use the EU passport holder queues

Rog Wilko 03 Dec 2018
In reply to balmybaldwin:

> Not to mention which queue do we use...  At the moment it looks like I too will be an EU passport holder until 2027 so I fully intend to use the EU passport holder queues

I can beat that - got new passports a few weeks back. Expire 2029????

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...