UKC

new computer help

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ClimberEd 11 Jun 2019

A lot of good techy people on here.

I love my imac but I need a 3 monitor setup so almost certainly PC (also my trading programmes work better with a PC)

I need it for trading (financial markets) so it needs to be fast with a robust operating system. I'll want to run different market charts (so graphics I guess) on different screens with a third screen for prices, news etc.

Do I just wander down to PC world or wherever and buy a mid priced PC, or do I need something else? What sort of budget might I need.

Thanks in advance for any help.

lithos 11 Jun 2019
In reply to ClimberEd:

i am typing this on an imac with 3 monitors!

Rob Exile Ward 11 Jun 2019
In reply to lithos:

Yeah Rob, but I bet you're not doing real work on any of them!

OP ClimberEd 11 Jun 2019
In reply to lithos:

Unfortunately my imac is also 2012 and I think it's struggling with 'computer life'. 2.9GHz processor, 8GB Ram. 

sbc23 11 Jun 2019
In reply to ClimberEd:

Look at the 3xs systems from scan. 

In reality, you'll probably be fine with a Home Office spec with an extra graphics card to run your monitors. Check interface type if you have existing screens (DisplayPort / HDMI / DVI etc) 

Scan also sell purpose designed systems for high-frequency trading with multiple monitor support. This may be overkill but will almost certainly do everything you need. 

They are based in Bolton if you happen to be anywhere near and want to call in. 

wintertree 11 Jun 2019
In reply to ClimberEd:

> Unfortunately my imac is also 2012 and I think it's struggling with 'computer life'. 2.9GHz processor, 8GB Ram. 

Swap the disk drive for an SSD, do a fresh disk install and you’ll be all good.

If you’re not doing high frame rate video or game stuff on one external monitor you can use a USB interface display - eg see https://www.displaylink.com/products/usb-monitors - they should be fine for displaying charts that only update < once per second.

Then, if the trading goes well you can treat yourself to something new.  I’d also recommend Scan for hardware over PC World, which is a bit like the Kwik Fit of the computer world, except infinitely worse.  

In reply to wintertree:

Another alternative to using the USB interface display, though admittedly also with lower frame rate, is to connect an Apple TV to a monitor and AirPlay to it. 

Should then be able to do native iMac display, a display connected via HDMI (using thunderbolt/Mini DisplayPort adapter), and a third display using AirPlay.

Works flawlessly for me.

lithos 11 Jun 2019
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

well obvs as i was reading UKC, but one of them does have a whole ton of accessibility stuff to deal with on it, maturing nicely  

mrphilipoldham 11 Jun 2019
In reply to Andy Ovens - UKC and UKH:

The new MacOS allows you to use an iPad as a screen too, if you have one of those!

ben b 12 Jun 2019
In reply to ClimberEd:

> Unfortunately my imac is also 2012 and I think it's struggling with 'computer life'. 2.9GHz processor, 8GB Ram. 

Both of which are fine, if a little off best these days. The issue (as mentioned above) is almost certainly your hard drive which would be much better off being an SSD. Doing this yourself is usually possible, or you can get someone else to do it...

To find out, look up your mac on everymac.com to establish which iMac you have. Then go to ifixit.com and look up SSD replacement and see if you are going to be up to it. Depending on model it can be pretty straightforward to fiendishly difficult.

The 21.5' iMacs are buggers to upgrade the RAM on (you have to remove the logic board to access the other slot, grr...), but the 27' versions are very easy (and take up to 2x 16Gb sticks) - there's a tiny door under the display or on the back that unscrews, add RAM, reboot.

I'm pretty sure all the 2012 iMacs will run Catalina. Certainly if your current machine runs Mojave then Catalina will be fine (and so you can use an iPad as an extra screen, plus one running of the thunderbolt port).

HTH

b

Post edited at 03:47
OP ClimberEd 12 Jun 2019
In reply to ClimberEd:

Thanks a lot everyone, really grateful for the knowledge (and generosity with it) on here! 

Sounds like I should be able to make something work without too much difficulty (and I have a 27" so a step forward there.)

ben b 12 Jun 2019
In reply to ClimberEd:

Nice. This one? https://everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac-core-i5-2.9-27-inch-alum...

If so 32Gb RAM possible (2x8Gb is fine). 

The less good news, if that's the right model, is that the SSD bit is trickier.There's a video on iFixithttps://everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac-core-i5-2.9-27-inc... that shows how to do it. I'd give it a go personally, but there are Apple authorised dealers and service centres who can do this for some cash. A 1Tb SSD is a shade over a hundred quid.

Good luck - far too nice a machine to replace with a PC World box!

b

OP ClimberEd 12 Jun 2019
In reply to ben b:

Indeed it is. Thanks again, I'll watch the video and see if it is within my skill remit 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...