UKC

New Octavias?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pbob 07 Jun 2019

Hey folks, anyone drive one of the latest Octavias? Are they still the car of choice for the UKC hive mind?

Removed User 07 Jun 2019
In reply to Pbob:

Recently  acquired a 14reg VRS estate after 4 Focus Estates.  I wanted the GSD Box & Sunroof. Just passed 90K and running good as new.   5 hours from Padstow to Llanberis  at 47mpg & over 60mph stating at 2AM. Very comfortable long distance motor. Lots of silly things like lane assist, stop/start ect ect that  I disabled. 1st time ever I have used a Main dealer for cam belt change & service £650 but it has got a full Skoda history so will look after it myself from 100k.    Just used I litre of Castrol Edge  over 1k so can be expensive, Known fault so need to keep an eye on it as it does 750 miles per the above every 2 week's at the moment.  Mine is the 185hp  so the 245hp must be a flyer.

Alpenglow 07 Jun 2019
In reply to Pbob:

Stats show they're only averagely reliable. The 1.9 TDI was one of the best engines though.

For reliability I'd get a Toyota or Honda, Kia/Hyundai are decent too.

Post edited at 22:45
 Blue Straggler 08 Jun 2019
In reply to Alpenglow:

I thought the Kia Cee’d estate (Sportback?) had superCee’ded the Octavia on this forum 4 years ago. Am I wrong ?

Bob Kemp 08 Jun 2019
In reply to Alpenglow:

Are you sure about that? This says otherwise: 

https://www.whatcar.com/news/2018-what-car-reliability-survey/n17799

Tom Valentine 08 Jun 2019
In reply to Alpenglow:

I think the 1.9 's reputation came at a time when there were a few problems with the 2.0 PD engine ( though mine did 110, 000 miles trouble free) and it was a response of "old mechanical stuff is better than new fangled technology." The CR engine is a different kettle of fish and if you spend a long enough time trawling the VW/ Skoda forums it seems to come out quite well.

baron 08 Jun 2019
In reply to Pbob:

> Hey folks, anyone drive one of the latest Octavias? Are they still the car of choice for the UKC hive mind?

As long as you don’t buy one with the 1.5 petrol engine.

AllanMac 08 Jun 2019
In reply to Pbob:

The 1.5 TSI petrol is great. At a steady 65-70mph I can get 60mpg on long journeys, when the 2 cylinder mode gets a chance to kick in. 150 bhp means there's enough power for overtaking. Very quiet too.

baron 08 Jun 2019
In reply to AllanMac:

> The 1.5 TSI petrol is great. At a steady 65-70mph I can get 60mpg on long journeys, when the 2 cylinder mode gets a chance to kick in. 150 bhp means there's enough power for overtaking. Very quiet too.

I have to admit to not actually owning a 1.5 petrol engined Octavia.

That’s because before purchasing one to replace my aging 1.9 PD Octavia I had read many of the Skoda, VW and SEAT forums which are awash with posts about the problems that many people have experienced with that engine.

I am glad that you aren’t one of those affected.  

Dave B 08 Jun 2019
In reply to baron:

I've got the 1.5 as well. It's fine, apart from the slight dip in power at 1600 rpm in first if you take it leisurely.

Really good to drive and lots of space.

baron 08 Jun 2019
In reply to Dave B:

> I've got the 1.5 as well. It's fine, apart from the slight dip in power at 1600 rpm in first if you take it leisurely.

> Really good to drive and lots of space.

Certainly in terms of space, practicality, price and driving experience I’d have no problem with owning an Octavia.

However, having been a victim of the ESP module problem that affected many VAG, Ford and Volvo cars and experiencing Skoda’s negative response to said problem I’d be reluctant to part with my hard earned cash when Internet forums are awash with posts relating to issues with the 1.5 engine.

May you experience many trouble free miles.  

Dave B 09 Jun 2019
In reply to baron:

So far, so good....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...