UKC

one pot cake / biscuit recipes please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ksjs 02 Nov 2009
we're currently living on a building site (our house) and for some time we'll have no oven etc. im missing homemade baking treats but with a trangia and MSR stove our options seem limited.

does anyone have any one pot cake / baking recipe books they can recommend or indeed any of their own recipes?

yours in anticipation of sweet and tasty one pot treats to help with building work and winter cragging...
 sutty 02 Nov 2009
In reply to ksjs:

Pancakes and drop scones are quick and easy, a search for recipes will soon have you munching, and not using much fuel either.
OP ksjs 02 Nov 2009
In reply to sutty: yes, good thinking Sutty (i havent had pancakes or drop scones in ages) but im also after things along the lines of:

ginger cake
fruit cake
banana bread
flapjacks

not sure if that kind of thing is achievable but hope it is!

Nic 02 Nov 2009
In reply to ksjs:

One pot cake? Does David Nutt know about this?
 Joking 02 Nov 2009
In reply to ksjs: What about steamed puddings? Jam rolly poly, treacle sponge that sort of thing.. I think they would be more acheivable in your circumstances
 Joking 02 Nov 2009
In reply to ksjs: & no cook cakes, banoffee pie & cheesecakes, tiffin, rocky road type things.. sorry getting carried away now, its nearly lunchtime!
OP ksjs 02 Nov 2009
In reply to Joking: treacle sponge - now youre talking!
OP ksjs 02 Nov 2009
In reply to Joking: im strictly (well, 99% of the time) a scratch cook / baker so no room for the 'no cook' stuff but, given the circumstances, i could make an exception as im sure theres some tasty stuff available. will have a look...
OP ksjs 02 Nov 2009
In reply to Joking: aha! found this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/treaclesponge_3276.shtml

sounds very doable if slightly long.

also spotted a link to more steamed pudding recipes: http://www.bbc.co.uk/apps/ifl/food/recipes/queryengine?templatestyle=refine...

and i had a look at the Ginger Sponge Pudding recipe in that lot - this reminded me we have a microwave so i shouldnt discount that option either. Ainsley says 5 mins in the microwave for this. sounds a bit fast for proper baking but maybe i'll try it.

cheers for inspiration!
 sutty 02 Nov 2009
In reply to ksjs:

Sponge puddings done in the microwave work, but you HAVE to eat them straight away as they go hard if left. That is made from scratch, never tried a tinned one done in them.
OP ksjs 02 Nov 2009
In reply to sutty: well thats those out then as the thing needs to be keep-able.
 Joking 02 Nov 2009
In reply to ksjs: See now your cooking with gas
 tlm 02 Nov 2009
In reply to ksjs:

The tinned ones done in the microwave are ace!

Here are some microwave cake recipes - I think as long as you don't over cook them, they will keep OK. Oh - hang on:

"some recipes will continue to cook after they have been removed from the oven, so do not over-bake. Microwave cakes do not always keep as well as conventionally baked cakes."

http://www.dizzy-dee.com/recipe/chocolate-cake-in-5-minutes

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/microwave-cake/Detail.aspx

http://www.allbakingrecipes.com/baking-recipes/microwave-cakes-bakes/microw...
 tlm 02 Nov 2009
 Pauline 02 Nov 2009
In reply to ksjs: do you own a slow cooker and can you plug it in? allegedly you can make cakes in them?
 Hoppo 02 Nov 2009
In reply to Nic:
> (In reply to ksjs)
>
> One pot cake? Does David Nutt know about this?

I don't think he cares much nowadays.
OP ksjs 03 Nov 2009
In reply to tlm: some of these sound good but the recipes seem to rely on stoves (as in Aga style things i think) rather than trangia / msr. still, theyre maybe worth a try as we're talking 1.5-2 hrs for all the steamed recipes. cheers
OP ksjs 03 Nov 2009
In reply to Pauline: no, no slow cooker. we had talked about getting one for this building phase but decided it would just end up as another thing and there shall be no more 'things'!
Knitting Norah 03 Nov 2009
In reply to ksjs:

When making sponge puddings in the microwave take them out when the top is still quite moist. They will finish off cooking while you make the custard and will not go dry. They take about 4 minutes. Find a basic sponge pudding recipe and just adapt it by replacing a couple of ounces of flour with cocoa or adding raisins or ginger or by adding jam or syrup sauce etc.
You can do jam roly poly in the microwave too, just put it on the glass plate and cook for about 4.5 minutes
If you have made a stew and saved half for another day you can spread dumplings out on the glass plate in the microwave and cook for a few minutes, keep an eye on them or you will make bullets. Reheat your stew in the microwave and add the dumplings.

Another option with a stove is to use a pressure cooker but do follow the instructions. They usually come with a cookery book which tells you how to bake cakes and bread in them. We usually take our pressure cooker with us if we are taking the car when we go camping.

Sorry I can't give you actual recipes, I am on holiday in France at the moment.
 Wonrek 03 Nov 2009
In reply to ksjs: Have you got a gas barbeque? I found it invaluable when we renovated some years back. Bacon butties on a Saturday morning in the rain......

Cx

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...