UKC

Pancakes for 40 people

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Malloch 16 Feb 2012
I need to supply pancakes for about 40 hungry climbers, so maybe about 300?

The recipe we are using is nice and simple.

4oz Flour
1-2 eggs
500ml Milk

I've not made them for years, so does anyone have an idea how much of the above mix I will need to get to make that amount?

Cheers
OP James Malloch 16 Feb 2012
In reply to James Malloch:

Oops, meant to be half a pint of milk there. Not 500ml
 graeme jackson 16 Feb 2012
It's going to take all day to cook 300 pancakes. You're looking at about a minute and a half for each one.
It would be easier buying them prepacked from your local tesco.
In reply to graeme jackson: It's our social for the week. We'll have 8 pans going at once, lots of people mixing and cooking and just keep firing them out

Bit misleading when I said 'I need to supply...', it's just me organising it for everyone.
 Padraig 16 Feb 2012

Mrs P makes pancakes every Friday for her kids at school. Not sure how many (poss 100?)I'll ask her when she gets home for advice. NOTHING beats homemade pancakes & honey/jam!
 peas65 16 Feb 2012

Make the batter as above, then see how many pancakes it makes and multiply accordingly as it will vary depending on pan size, thickness etc
 ebygomm 16 Feb 2012
In reply to James Malloch: i find that recipe makes around 6 pancakes using a large frying pan
 Padraig 16 Feb 2012

Mrs P says to make 20 - 25 decent sized pancakes (CD size)try the following recipe - 2 mugs of self raising flour
1/2 mug of caster sugar
1 egg
approx 3/4 pint milk
Mix flour and sugar, add beaten egg and milk. Mix to a smooth batter (not to thin and not too thick. The secret is to leave the batter for 20 mins until you see bubbles on the surface.
Have a practice first - using a smaller mug/cup.

HTH
 ebygomm 16 Feb 2012
In reply to Padraig:

That's a recipe for American pancakes. A decent sized pancake is much bigger than a cd
 gethin_allen 16 Feb 2012
In reply to peas65:
> (In reply to James Malloch)
>
> Make the batter as above, then see how many pancakes it makes and multiply accordingly as it will vary depending on pan size, thickness etc

I second this approach, not only is is the most accurate but also you end up with a plate full of pancakes to scoff afterward.
In reply to Padraig:

Yummy, with maple syrup!
(yes I'm a convert)
In reply to Sir Stefan:

Fry one side, add blueberries, flip, fry other side.
 hokkyokusei 17 Feb 2012
In reply to Padraig:

> Mrs P says to make 20 - 25 decent sized pancakes (CD size)

CD sized? I like mine to fill the frying pan!
 Philip 17 Feb 2012
I used to cook the pancakes for our climbing club pancake night. Not sure we ever had 40, but I didn't do 5 each, I had two frying pans and would probably cook for about 4 hours.

Good luck, doesn't matter how well it goes people will still call you a tosser.
 remus Global Crag Moderator 17 Feb 2012
In reply to James Malloch: 7.5 pancakes per person sounds like a lot to me (assuming we're talking ~plate sized english pancakes.) Id consider myself fairly average and I think Id struggle to eat more than 5.
 Richard Wilson 17 Feb 2012
You can make them in advance. Inter leave them with greaseproof paper to stop them sticking. Then just a quick flip in the pan to warm them or in an oven in a deep tray with tin foil lid.
OP James Malloch 19 Feb 2012

Thank you very much for the replies and advice, I've only had access to my phone this weekend so haven't been able to reply until now. Should hopefully be sorted now though thank you, hopefully it all goes well.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...