UKC

Payed covid testing at your home

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 fmck 24 Sep 2020

I have received a letter from the office of statistics and gov plus Oxford university heading. It comes with a questionaire to register. It states they wish to pay £50 for a first test at my front door then £25 every month for 11 months of tests. No one I know has this letter anyone else?

Jenny C 24 Sep 2020
In reply to fmck:

I know someone who had something similar by phone, asking her to pay £50 for a home test - scam! 

mark20 24 Sep 2020
In reply to fmck:

I had a letter from ONS a few weeks ago, with a link to an online questionnaire, which gave me £15 of vouchers at the end. A few weeks later I received another letter, same as yours, to take part in their random sample testing. I’ve done the initial, and 2nd tests now, but haven’t actually received the email with the voucher links, I must chase that up. But yes I think it is legit. 

plyometrics 24 Sep 2020
In reply to fmck:

Sounds like the one my parents are signed up to which is legit. They’ve been doing it for over a month and get tested every week at home. The money is paid in vouchers as far as I’m aware. 

As Jenny C suggests, suspect there are quite a few scams out there so probably worth double checking. 

OP fmck 24 Sep 2020
In reply to plyometrics:

If it is a scam its very well done as it goes into a lot of detail. Its a bit weird how folks I know are struggling to get a test! Yet Im being offered paid for home testing on my door step.

Jenny C 24 Sep 2020
In reply to fmck:

I misread the op and thought you were being asked to pay for the test. 

plyometrics 24 Sep 2020
In reply to fmck:

Does seem crazy I agree, but I’d go for it if I were you!

In reply to mark20:

It sounds like the background seroprevalence testing. You've been randomly selected to take part.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/con...

https://www.ons.gov.uk/news/news/newinsightintocovid19tobegainedfromhugeboo...

Post edited at 21:36
 balmybaldwin 24 Sep 2020
In reply to fmck:

I had something from the ONS a while back which was a questionaire on feelings, confidence, financial impact of CV19.  For completing it I got a £25 voucher (my choice was amazon). I was also informed that I may be asked to be involved in a random testing study which sounds like what they want you to do.

I've been on the ONS  books as a participant for a while. I agreed to respond to a "Work Life balance" survey  few years back and i get a call once a quarter asking me questions. I guess they are using their previous responders and trying to get more.

Andrew Lodge 24 Sep 2020
In reply to plyometrics:

My Mother is part way through this programme, the vouchers are arriving so it all seems legit, a doorstep test every week.

SDM 24 Sep 2020
In reply to fmck:

> I have received a letter from the office of statistics and gov plus Oxford university heading. It comes with a questionaire to register. It states they wish to pay £50 for a first test at my front door then £25 every month for 11 months of tests. No one I know has this letter anyone else?

This is the study that the ONS have been running since the end of April. I've been taking part since the first week. They are constantly taking on new subjects to expand the study.

Someone comes to your door once a week for 5 weeks and you do a throat and nose swab. After the first month, there is an option to continue taking a test once a month for the next year.

The payment is in vouchers which are emailed to you a few days after each test which can be redeemed at most high street and online stores.

It is not a scam unless someone has copied the legit ONS letters.

OP fmck 25 Sep 2020
In reply to SDM:

Mental. My wife is going to go ahead with it.  My wife works on a hospital ward thats had a couple of outbreaks so at least she can get tested now. Dont see the point in me doing it if she wants to.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...