UKC

Plumbers of UKC - dishwasher hoses

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LastBoyScout 16 May 2023

Following yesterday's thread about plumbing, I have discovered today that the water feed hose for our dishwasher has started leaking at the end where it connects to the mains water.

Noticed a small puddle on the kitchen floor the other day and thought it due to a bit of splashing with the washing up, but exactly the same puddle was there this morning Opened the cupboard under the sink and it was wet in there. Soaked a couple of boxes, but not too bad, as seem to have caught it early and most of it has dripped through the hole where the waste pipe goes.

Sideline - has anyone had any success with clamping damp chipboard as it dries out to get it back (or close to) it's original shape? Replacing the unit would be a nightmare!

Anyway, when wiggling the pipe, it seemed to be a possible crack in the plastic pipe where the hose is crimped onto the fitting - is this likely? The rubber washer looked ok and tightening up the plastic nut seems to have solved the issue - I'm keeping an eye on it, anyway. It's been in for just over 3 years

Or is it safer to fit a new hose? That would involve getting the fitted dishwasher out of the kitchen unit, which I'd much prefer not to have to do!

In reply to LastBoyScout:

My 2p worth layman’s view:

> Sideline - has anyone had any success with clamping damp chipboard as it dries out to get it back (or close to) it's original shape?

Never bothered to try clamping as IME if it is wet and swollen a lot already the structural integrity is compromised and it may or may not remain intact or flake away after drying. If it is lightly damp but not too swollen, I have a cupboard upright like that, and mine has retained it’s strength and holding together after drying out though it is noticeable it has been affected by water in the past as slightly larger sized now.

> Anyway, when wiggling the pipe, it seemed to be a possible crack in the plastic pipe where the hose is crimped onto the fitting - is this likely? The rubber washer looked ok and tightening up the plastic nut seems to have solved the issue - I'm keeping an eye on it, anyway.

I think you are just having a gamble! If the plastic is cracked, I reckon there is only one outcome at some point in the future when under mains pressure (says he who has had a two plastic fitting (not dishwasher) give out unexpectedly and one just last week).

I wouldn’t rule out washer though; remember it is not just how the washer looks, but how it butts against the faces either side which could be damaged or fitting thread is damaged. It could be the wiggling is just allowing water past washer and appearing where the crimp is? Tightening up may or may not last long IME. I’ve always ended up having to replace washers or whole fittings as if they are leaking already (assuming correctly tightened in first place) they usually continue to do so if they temporarily appear to have stopped.

As the fittings are hidden from easy viewing, personally I wouldn’t take a chance. A day out of house could cause a lot of damage if the fitting popped at mains pressure. 

OP LastBoyScout 16 May 2023
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

> Never bothered to try clamping as IME if it is wet and swollen a lot already the structural integrity is compromised and it may or may not remain intact or flake away after drying. If it is lightly damp but not too swollen, I have a cupboard upright like that, and mine has retained it’s strength and holding together after drying out though it is noticeable it has been affected by water in the past as slightly larger sized now.

Fortunately, it seems to be largely just the inch, or so, near the edge affected, which is good because this is the shelf that has the feet that take the weight of the unit. It's got an aluminium sheet over it anyway, which is presumably there to catch leaks and seems to have helped - also, a plastic tub under there has caught some of the water

> > Anyway, when wiggling the pipe, it seemed to be a possible crack in the plastic pipe where the hose is crimped onto the fitting - is this likely? The rubber washer looked ok and tightening up the plastic nut seems to have solved the issue - I'm keeping an eye on it, anyway.

> I think you are just having a gamble! If the plastic is cracked, I reckon there is only one outcome at some point in the future when under mains pressure (says he who has had a two plastic fitting (not dishwasher) give out unexpectedly and one just last week).

> I wouldn’t rule out washer though; remember it is not just how the washer looks, but how it butts against the faces either side which could be damaged or fitting thread is damaged. It could be the wiggling is just allowing water past washer and appearing where the crimp is? Tightening up may or may not last long IME. I’ve always ended up having to replace washers or whole fittings as if they are leaking already (assuming correctly tightened in first place) they usually continue to do so if they temporarily appear to have stopped.

> As the fittings are hidden from easy viewing, personally I wouldn’t take a chance. A day out of house could cause a lot of damage if the fitting popped at mains pressure. 

Yes, you're probably right. I might put a bit of LSX on the washer (both sides) and hope that holds it until I have time to replace the whole hose.

If you have an isolation valve, safer of course to turn off between uses even if it is a hassle. Probably fitting/pipe will still be under pressure (since the dishwasher will have an electrical stop valve within I assume) but minimal water to leak out.

OP LastBoyScout 17 May 2023
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

Yes, it has that on it.

OP LastBoyScout 17 May 2023

Bugger - the water has caused the edges of the cupboard carcass to swell enough that the dishwasher door is now catching. Going to have to do a bit of trimming somehow, as replacing the carcass is going to be an absolute nightmare, as the waste pipe goes through the base of it

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...